Dwarf Runner - Orc Thrower

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Deacon.
Rookie
Rookie

Dwarf Runner - Orc Thrower

Post by Deacon. »

Hey guys, so I've recently been playing Orcs and have had a good amount of success with my 1 thrower. I use him as a ball carrier, and will sometimes throw to a blitzer for desperation TDs, to swing the play hard to the other direction, or to get out of a badly smashed cage. He has block, +agi, nerves of steel.

I just started a dwarf team and my runner has gotten MVP and a few touchdowns, so I was thinking that I should give him 2nd skill pass (first skill block). This would effectively turn him into a slightly more mobile version of my Orc thrower. I understand that Dwarf blitzer have 1 less move than Orc, but why would this not be optimal? I see most people suggesting fend etc but I feel like the pass (followed by Nerves of Steel) adds so much more utility.

Am I missing something? Is it because passing with dwarves will leave your long beards behind? Because I would normally only swing the play due to a gained advantage on the opposite side due to cas or KO. Thanks for your input!

Reason: ''
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: Dwarf Runner - Orc Thrower

Post by sann0638 »

Bottom line - if you're passing with dwarves or orcs, you've failed somewhere along the line!

Personally I find the orc thrower to slow to be a ball carrier, so is a leader caddy at best, and often I just don't bother with him and carry with a blitzer or even a goblin (dodge can be handy!).

With the dwarves, get the ball on a runner and don't let it out of his sweaty mitts. Block, Fend are good, Dodge and Sidestep on doubles.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
gregory_n_white
Experienced
Experienced

Post by gregory_n_white »

Sann's points about skill selection are valid but i disagree a little about having a passing capability with Dwarves.

The problem with dwarves is that they have a single way to win - grind and damage.

They have no way to score fast or from long range. For example - 2 turns to go against a team with kick who can put the ball in the back corner means you are in real trouble.

Having a runner with some passing capability can address this a little so if you want to head down that path - give it a try.

Years ago I had a blodge pass accurate runner in SWL on fumbbl and had a lot of success - blitzers are adequate receivers and even blockers catch on 4+ which is 75% with a reroll. Im not saying that is your #1 play choice but if you need a surprise play or are out of other options its a pretty good fall back.

It can also make them a little more fun to play.

Deacon.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Deacon. »

Thank you both for your replies! I fully understand that if I am passing I am doing something wrong, but I'm new and I do seem to find myself doing things wrong quite often.

I really like the idea of having that pass option in last chance situations. However after reading more I finally decided on kickoff return, to help me get the ball into the cage quicker up near mid field. I figure this will be especially helpful later on vs kick teams to secure the ball with my single runner.

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

The thing with Pass on a Runner (or most other AG 3 players, for that matter) is not that it is totally useless; there will certainly be situations where it could save your game. But these situations are too rare, and the chances of things still going wrong are too high, for it to be worth its TV increase and SPP accumulation. Kickoff Return is indeed a better choice, as is Fend.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Yep, I like KOR. After block, and assuming no doubles or stats :)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

sann0638 wrote:Yep, I like KOR. After block, and assuming no doubles or stats :)
+1

sparkydave
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sparkydave »

Totally agree - Block then KOR - then (because he doesnt really need anything else to operate as an effective runner) i like accurate, as while pass is nice enough you only need to chuck the ball about when someone gives you 2 - 3 turns to score. and then a deep kick accurate gives you better range and you'll often have rerolls left. It also gives your opponent something to think about during your grind even if you have no intention of using it.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

sann0638 wrote:Bottom line - if you're passing with dwarves or orcs, you've failed somewhere along the line!
I might have been very lucky but my +1AG, Accurate, Strong Arm Orc Thrower was a blast!
Not throwing passes to one of my Blitzers in the opponents half would just have been mad!

I played them as a passing team ever since, even if the second thrower didn't get as good as my first.