Starting Woody Lineup

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Starting Woody Lineup

Post by Fold »

I am about to start a new league playing Wood Elves and am interested in other peoples views on starting rosters. Last time I played a league I took a 2 wardancer, 1 tree, 2 catcher, 1 thrower lineup with no rerolls and no apothecary. It got me to the finals but it was far too nail biting!

Of note in this new league the apothecary is house ruled so that you can wait till after the game and roll all your injuries at once before seeing who to use it on, making it more valuable, which is clouding my decision making.

I started with the idea of taking a fairly standard 2 wardancers, 9 linemen and 2 re-rolls, intending to pickup the apothecary after the first game and then more positionals as cashflow allowed.

Who would swap one of those rerolls for the apothecary? How about dropping a re-roll and taking a couple of catchers, or a catcher and a thrower?

Or, shock, only having one wardancer and the full re-roll and apothecary package, or 2 re-rolls and a couple of catchers?

Reason: ''
mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Starting Woody Lineup

Post by mzukerman »

It depends on your competition and your play style. I go very light on the rerolls for a league to start because: elves. That gives me an opportunity to develop my key players from the get-go. I get 2 wardancers (240) and a thrower (90) plus 8 lineelves (560) to start. Throw in one reroll and an apothecary. That's because my style of play on offense is pass heavy and my defense is focused on the wardancers. As lineelves die (as they invariably do), I replace them with catchers. The catchers are so easy to skill up that it's not a big deal if you add them later. If I am not suffering great injuries, I try to get myself up to three rerolls by midseason. Then it's all about replacing dead elves.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

I like to start with

2 Wardancers
1 Tree
1 Catcher
7 Linemen
1 RR

and I buy the apo asap

As linemen die, I replace them with catchers.
I don't bother with the thrower and play a running game instead.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I went with 2 Wardancers, 8 Linemen, a Catcher, 2 Rerolls. No Tree.

- The folks starting with zero or one rerolls are crazy. Most of your team doesn't have block, only three start with dodge, and Wood Elves live on things like scooping up dropped balls and scoring on defense.

- I like starting with a catcher, he starts with valuable skills, on offense or defense, you can always just sling the ball out to him and it's off to the races (which you will win, because Wood Elves). Plus if your opponent is slow, you can use your first couple turns on offense taking turns tossing the ball his way with linemen. This helps skill your linemen quickly and pisses your opponent off, he'll probably send 3-4 players into your backfield, that's when you move forward and play keep-away.

- No matter how many players you lose in your first several games, your first purchase is an apothecary.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

rolo wrote:I went with 2 Wardancers, 8 Linemen, a Catcher, 2 Rerolls. No Tree.

- The folks starting with zero or one rerolls are crazy. Most of your team doesn't have block, only three start with dodge, and Wood Elves live on things like scooping up dropped balls and scoring on defense.

- I like starting with a catcher, he starts with valuable skills, on offense or defense, you can always just sling the ball out to him and it's off to the races (which you will win, because Wood Elves). Plus if your opponent is slow, you can use your first couple turns on offense taking turns tossing the ball his way with linemen. This helps skill your linemen quickly and pisses your opponent off, he'll probably send 3-4 players into your backfield, that's when you move forward and play keep-away.

- No matter how many players you lose in your first several games, your first purchase is an apothecary.
+1

i do prefer Catcher than thrower.
- dodge as starting skill is great
- catch would help you to skillup any MVP from previous game
- it's a oneturner

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

+1

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Starting Woody Lineup

Post by el Superbeasto »

Probably the best lineup.
I just played a season where I swapped a lineman and a reroll for a treeman. I won the season but it was really tough with only one reroll.

My sales thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42857
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

The general rule when starting any team is to fit in as many re-rolls as possible. They are the only think that costs more once the seasons starts, and not just more - double! They are also of most value early on when you have fewer skills.

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

anyone recommend running 11 Linos 3 rerolls, replace with WD's and catches when able?

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

No, the value of two starting Block and three starting Dodge is greater than the one extra re-roll.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

DixonCider wrote:anyone recommend running 11 Linos 3 rerolls, replace with WD's and catches when able?
why are you not using all your budget?
with 3 RR, you could start with : 1 WD, 1 catcher and 9 linos.
1st buy would be the 2nd WD. (then APO)

i just tried this on fumbbl this weekend, to test it, against "tier1 teams", but unfortunatly my first oponent conceded after 1 half... so i had much winning as normal... so the 2nd WD is available too quickly... my first "tests results" are polutated by conceded...
i might have to restart from scratch...

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

I don't roster trees, but they make a good inducement player.