Second Normal Skill on the same Pestigor... What a Dilemma

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Dudegrip
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dudegrip »

So I went with Extra Arms and the Pestigor kicked ass, Nuffle abetting. Two messy touchdowns and a second MVP brought him to 17 SPPs and another skill (4,1 nothing special). I also have enough money to buy a second Pestigor, so he doesn't have to be the primary ball carrier any more.
As I see it, the choice boils down to Block or Wrestle--time to add some survivablility to the player and some reliable blitzing to the team.
A unique factor to consider is that this league is using a directed MVP system. At the end of the game 5 players are numbered and a d6 is rolled: 1-5 puts the MVP on that player; a 6 and the coach can award the MVP to any player on the team. My Beast and one Warrior already have one casualty, so they'll be getting skills for sure soon, most likely Block on the Warriors.
So I'm leaning towards Wrestle on the Pestigor. Saving Sure Hands for next one.
Next match is probably Humans, possibly Orcs.
Love the feedback, by the way, and thanks!

Reason: ''
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: Second Normal Skill on the same Pestigor... What a Dilem

Post by Digger Goreman »

I did give SH to mine against strip ballers... maybe KOR next... making him a ball fetcher... develope others as blitzers....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Dudegrip wrote:So I went with Extra Arms and the Pestigor kicked ass, Nuffle abetting. Two messy touchdowns and a second MVP brought him to 17 SPPs and another skill (4,1 nothing special). I also have enough money to buy a second Pestigor, so he doesn't have to be the primary ball carrier any more.
As I see it, the choice boils down to Block or Wrestle--time to add some survivablility to the player and some reliable blitzing to the team.
A unique factor to consider is that this league is using a directed MVP system. At the end of the game 5 players are numbered and a d6 is rolled: 1-5 puts the MVP on that player; a 6 and the coach can award the MVP to any player on the team. My Beast and one Warrior already have one casualty, so they'll be getting skills for sure soon, most likely Block on the Warriors.
So I'm leaning towards Wrestle on the Pestigor. Saving Sure Hands for next one.
Next match is probably Humans, possibly Orcs.
Love the feedback, by the way, and thanks!
1) Extra Arms sucks, Sure Hands is better (3+ rerollable pick up is more likely than a 2+ pick up without reroll);
2) If you want to take Sure Hands then don't take Wrestle but Block, it's a better skill for a ball carrier;
3) If you don't roll +AG then after Block and Sure Hands take Two Heads, your Pestigor ball carrier will be able to dodge quite reliably when needed, especially if you have a rr.

fanglord13
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fanglord13 »

Extra Arms on one makes him a great potential pass/hand off target if you go sure hands on the other. Block, Two Heads then Dodge on a double for the extra arms block is gold.

Block, Sure Hands, KOR and maybe Dodge or Pass on a double

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Team ReRoll on Nurgle are too expansive.
So, Sure Hands is great, in the early life of a Nurgle team.

i don't like extra arm so much, as "first skill".
it could be a nice skill, only if your dedicated ball carrier never get a +Ag, after basic (sure hands, block, +Mv, KOR, ...) but i even prefer Two Heads in this case.

Ullis
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Ullis »

Extra Hands isn't that bad. It works for both a normal, slow, offence (picking up) and for those fast two-three turn offences as well (picking up or getting handed off to). But Extra Hands and Wrestle work really bad together as Wrestle is a really bad skill for anyone liable to handle the ball.

Nurgle do well without any Wrestle at all. Or if you want Wrestle, then give it to a rotter.

Sainthropee
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Sainthropee »

Ullis wrote:Extra Hands isn't that bad. It works for both a normal, slow, offence (picking up) and for those fast two-three turn offences as well (picking up or getting handed off to). But Extra Hands and Wrestle work really bad together as Wrestle is a really bad skill for anyone liable to handle the ball.

Nurgle do well without any Wrestle at all. Or if you want Wrestle, then give it to a rotter.
Agreed

I put surehands or block, but not wrestle.

"Vice is a miscalculation in the pursuit of happiness"
(J. Bentham)
Dudegrip
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dudegrip »

Thanks to some for confirming my suspicions concerning Extra Arms.
My research has uncovered a very pertinent post by "Coach" on BBTactics two months ago.

"Personally I prefer taking Extra Arms for a few of reasons.

Firstly you can combine it with a Team Reroll (if you really need to) a lot of the time. Unless of course you used one that turn already or are out of them at this point.

It is also more flexible given that you can use it on catch rolls as well (and on Interceptions if someone is silly enough to throw over players).

Lastly you can take Sure Hands on nearly every player in the game, if you’re going to do that why play a team that can have Mutations!"

Dudegrip
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dudegrip »

Ullis wrote: Extra Hands and Wrestle work really bad together as Wrestle is a really bad skill for anyone liable to handle the ball.

Good points, although I know Smeborg is one (Coach on BBTactics is another) who strongly advocates Wrestle on some if not all Pestigors.

As for combining skills, at this point I think I'll create a separate thread on Pestigor development generally to discuss this and further questions.