Goblins - cut or not?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Sword of Solkan
Experienced
Experienced

Goblins - cut or not?

Post by Sword of Solkan »

Hi chaps,

I'm wondering whether to replace a couple of players from my Goblin team:

- Troll with Guard and Stand Firm. Both skills are useful, but I'm wondering whether they're worth the 40k TV or whether to buy a new Troll and hope for a double.
- Goblin with Wrestle and Jump Up. The Wrestle's definitely useful - but is he worth 90k TV?

Thoughts?

Reason: ''
The Audacity of Hop [Slann] - 3/1/1 (W/L/D)
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Goblins - cut or not?

Post by babass »

i would keep all 3.

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

It depends on your league, the rest of the team and your treasury

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I can't think of a format where I wouldn't want those players on my team. My advice is to keep them.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Sword of Solkan
Experienced
Experienced

Cheers, guys.

Btw, the Guard/Stand Firm is on the same troll.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Never cut uninjured players!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

rolo wrote:I can't think of a format where I wouldn't want those players on my team. My advice is to keep them.
I'm not so sure. On an Orc team, yes. But in a goblin team?
If I had the cash, I'd probably try again, hoping for a double.
Also, 40k is almost a bribe.

Sword of Solkan
Experienced
Experienced

Pedda wrote:
rolo wrote:I can't think of a format where I wouldn't want those players on my team. My advice is to keep them.
I'm not so sure. On an Orc team, yes. But in a goblin team?
If I had the cash, I'd probably try again, hoping for a double.
Also, 40k is almost a bribe.
Those were my thoughts too. 50k (Wrestle and Jump up) is a bribe. 40k (Guard and Stand Firm) is also likely to give a bribe, depending on the TV difference.

Don't get me wrong - they're all useful skills, I'm just thinking about TV bloat.

Is a Goblin with Wrestle and Jump up really worth 90k?

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

I keep Goblins with either double skill, +MA, AG 4.
I keep Goblins with 1 regular skill, but fire those with 2 regular ones.
About the Troll: you could wait for the third skill roll and see what you get, then fire him if it's not a double.
Consider Piling On on Trolls, it can be useful.

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

I'd also keep the wrestle jump up goblin, but 15 SPP on a troll takes time.
Getting 6 SPP should be quicker and a troll starts with mighty blow, which should help.

I'd rather give break tackle to my goblin trolls than guard and stand firm.

Vinz D.
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vinz D. »

MattDakka wrote:Consider Piling On on Trolls, it can be useful.
They can be useful... but I'd rather have a stupid troll standing up, then a non-stupid one that has to stand up again.
True, Piling On is nice to stack up on SPPs, but whether that's a useful play on Goblin teams is something I'm not sold on. I believe Trolls are for Goblin teams more useful as mobile roadblocks, rather then lying down to score that extra SPP, which suddenly leaves quite a bit of room for your opposition.
Pedda wrote:I'd rather give break tackle to my goblin trolls than guard and stand firm.
+1 to that.
Not that Guard and Stand Firm are bad skills, but Break Tackle makes them mobile enough to ensure they can move along with your Goblins and not be kept in the back by expendable players from the opposing team.

"Goblin aficionado and collector of Wooden Spoons"
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Vinz D. wrote: True, Piling On is nice to stack up on SPPs, but whether that's a useful play on Goblin teams is something I'm not sold on. I believe Trolls are for Goblin teams more useful as mobile roadblocks, rather then lying down to score that extra SPP, which suddenly leaves quite a bit of room for your opposition.
Of course you don't have to use Piling On always, you have to consider the situation and your team position, and if you can afford to do it.
Since Goblins are going to be outnumbered you need to have a good chance of removing opposing players.
About Stand Firm: have you ever tried to play near the side lines with Goblins?
You can use the Fanatic to push/chainpush opponent players in a position to be crowdsurfed.
In this situation having 2 Stand Firm Guard Trolls is very valuable.

Vinz D.
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vinz D. »

Of course one considers the time and situation to use Piling On, but the sole purpose of the skill remains to be to boost the SPPs, and gain the next skill faster. It doesn't make Piling On a bad choice for (Goblin) Trolls, but not the first choice I'd pick, which would remain to be Break Tackle. Then again, the proper skill choice will (in my opinion) always depend a lot on playing style, the skills on other players, and even then remains to be subjective.
I have never really gotten to the point in my matches, where I was playing near the sidelines, my Trolls were actually there and my Fanatic stopped playing Dance Dance Revolution. (The discussion I have with that guy regarding the definition of direction will never end). That being said, the potential with Guard and Stand Firm for crowd-surfs is definitely there.

Personally, my choice of (normal) skills for Trolls would be Break Tackle > Stand Firm > Guard > Piling On... but that is due to the manner in which I play my Goblin team.

"Goblin aficionado and collector of Wooden Spoons"
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Piling On isn't *just* to farm SPP, it has the pleasant side effect of removing opposing players, leaving your opponent at a numbers disadvantage!

(Or maybe just "less of a numbers advantage", the rest of the team is Goblins after all).

I don't take Piling On for trolls on a Goblin team (I'd consider it for Orcs though). I suspect that we have a playstyle difference here. I use my trolls to protect the Goblins, either as a solid wall between my opponents and the Gobs, or just by running up and tagging two opposing ST3 players. On defense, if they can move, they just move in front of the opposing cage. Or if they can't reach the cage, just pin 2-3 opponents. Obviously they need to be standing (and not stupid) for any of that to work - which means no piling on, and honestly not even activating them if they're already in a decent position. So I look for skills which can make them irritating even if they're just standing there - Guard is perfect (two Trolls with Guard, standing next to each other, is tough for anyone to deal with), Stand Firm helps too. I've never actually had two trolls with both skills at the same time, but that sounds less like "fire them!" and more like "perfect!".

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"