High Elf Thrower - 2nd doubles

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

Hey everyone,

My High Elf Thrower, Ul-Uyn Hightower, just received his second doubles.

So far the stat line is as follows:

6348 Pass, Safe Throw, Accurate, Strong Arm

What should I take next?

Cheers,
Michael

Reason: ''
If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Re: High Elf Thrower - 2nd doubles

Post by babass »

retire :)

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Sure Hands. Then he wont use any Team rerolls at all.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

I cannot think of any feasible use of the double roll either. Take whatever single skill suits your team and style of play

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Post by el Superbeasto »

No need for the double. I would go for dodge or block (depending on your style of play) to help keep him alive.

My sales thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42857
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

I am leaning towards the following:

Guard
Dodge
Block
Nerves of Steel
Sure Hands
Fend

Cheers,
Michael

If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Fold »

You seem to be building a super thrower, rather than a ball carrier. I'd get sure hands. Block/fend implies he'll be holding on to the ball and guard just means he'll have to get stuck in to put the skill to use but then he'll be murdered.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

celticgriffon wrote:I am leaning towards the following:

Guard
Dodge
Block
Nerves of Steel
Sure Hands
Fend
Guard may be useful to open a gap or to help a corner cage team mate to block away an opponent that attacked the cage, but I'd take Block or Dodge, probably Dodge if your league is not Tackle-heavy.
Nerves of Steel is a bad skill, don't take it, and Fend is not so great as well.
Sure Hands could be nice if you are against a Strip Baller but without Block and Dodge is not a great protection.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Guard if you can't make yourself ignore the double, on the theory that you can never have too much Guard. I've seen a leaguemate use a Guard thrower to great effect.

But he needs Dodge, Block, and Sure Hands (in some order) very badly, and that's going to be a LONG time coming if he takes Guard now.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

Also with Strong Arm and Accurate he will be a welcome victim when he gets close enough to the enemy

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
Madsherman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Madsherman »

Yes, a perserverence skill now to keep him alive.

"Accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a halfling is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All depends upon it." -Ronyld Spïers
bizzydog217
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bizzydog217 »

I feel like Block or anything defensive might end up being a waste. If you are building a super thrower he needs sure hands next. The idea is for him to be on the field no more then 2-3 turns per drive. He comes out, picks up the ball, hurls it down field and TD. On defense I wouldn't field him. The other thrower I would make the block/dodge running back who has the ability to quick dump the ball.

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

bizzydog217 wrote:I feel like Block or anything defensive might end up being a waste. If you are building a super thrower he needs sure hands next. The idea is for him to be on the field no more then 2-3 turns per drive. He comes out, picks up the ball, hurls it down field and TD. On defense I wouldn't field him. The other thrower I would make the block/dodge running back who has the ability to quick dump the ball.
You shouldn't have 2 throwers on any team except Underworld (And Khemri, but I wouldn't call a Thro-Ra a 'thrower').

As for the thrower in the OP; ignore the double. He needs Block, Dodge and Sure Hands. In which order depends on how much Wrestle, Tackle and Strip Ball you're facing.

You don't want him to throw Long Bombs from the backfield so you can score quickly, that'll just give your opponent time to counterscore and destroy your team in the meantime. You want him to keep the ball safe for as long as possible in a cage or behind a screen, and only make him pass the ball when you have to. For that role he needs protection skills.

bizzydog217
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bizzydog217 »

Dr. Von Richten wrote:
bizzydog217 wrote:I feel like Block or anything defensive might end up being a waste. If you are building a super thrower he needs sure hands next. The idea is for him to be on the field no more then 2-3 turns per drive. He comes out, picks up the ball, hurls it down field and TD. On defense I wouldn't field him. The other thrower I would make the block/dodge running back who has the ability to quick dump the ball.
You shouldn't have 2 throwers on any team except Underworld (And Khemri, but I wouldn't call a Thro-Ra a 'thrower').

As for the thrower in the OP; ignore the double. He needs Block, Dodge and Sure Hands. In which order depends on how much Wrestle, Tackle and Strip Ball you're facing.

You don't want him to throw Long Bombs from the backfield so you can score quickly, that'll just give your opponent time to counterscore and destroy your team in the meantime. You want him to keep the ball safe for as long as possible in a cage or behind a screen, and only make him pass the ball when you have to. For that role he needs protection skills.

bizzydog217
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bizzydog217 »

Dr. Von Richten wrote:

I'll have to agree to disagree on majority of this. I've had no problems having two throwers on any team. They build differently and they are unique players. On an elf team the linemen are arguably your secondary throwers but having the ability to build two guys differently for only a 20 point TV difference? To me that's not bad at all.

In my experience holding the ball as long as possible for elves can often get that ball knocked loose. I've taken my chances scoring quickly and playing defense where I knock the ball loose using the speed, agility, and combination of strip ball and wrestle. I'm not saying you are wrong it's just polar opposite play styles and both are viable options.