Simyin/Apes Team Guide

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

pauli42
Veteran
Veteran

Simyin/Apes Team Guide

Post by pauli42 »

Hi all,
After having some success with my Chaos Dwarfs, i started a new project with the Apes. I don’t find a lot of guides and info’s about playing apes in a league, therefore I started this thread for sharing my experience and discuss with you all the progress..

With our house rules, I was able to start with the silverback and all gorillas (three with block), one runner, 3x RR and a Apo.
You’ll find my Team here -> All to nah Unknown Stuntapes

My plan to develop the positions looks like this..

Silverback [5,5,1,9 Loner, Extra Arms, Grab, Wild Animal, Mighty Blow (S)]
Big Guy: Guard, Stand Firm

Gorilla [5,4,2,8 Extra Arms, Grab (AS)]
2x Blocker: Guard, Dodge, SF, MB/Tackle/Break Tackle - [Block]
2x Killer: MB, Piling On, Jump Up - [Block]

Chimpanzee (Runner) [7,3,3,7 Extra Arms, Wrestle (GA)]
Safety: Dodge, Tackle, Side Step/Diving Tackle/Jump Up, Shadowing/Sure Feed - [Guard]
Blitzer: Dodge, Frenzy, MB, Piling On - [Guard]
Optional: Dodge, Block, Tackle

Orangutan (Thrower) [5,3,3,8 Extra Arms, Strong Arm (GP)]
Quarterback: Sure Hands, Pass, Accurate
Receiver: Sure Hands, Block, Tackle

Bonobos (Line Ape) [6,3,3,7 Extra Arms (G)]
Tight End: Block, Tackle, Fend/Frenzy - [Dodge, Guard]
Dirty Ape: Dirty Player, Wrestle
Kick Ape: Kick, Dirty Player

Roster
Starting with 3 RR like this:
4x Gorillas
2 Chimps
5 Bonobos
3 Re-roll
Total 990k

Buying order:
- Apo, Silverback, Orangutan, Bonobos

At the End:
- All positionals with 1 or 2 Orangutan and 13-14 apes.

Resources
- fumbble - Simyin lineups
- fumbble - Skill Choice
- Thread with a lot of Simyin minis (thanks to kdwv)

Reason: ''
pauli42
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Apes Team

Post by pauli42 »

I have played two friendlies so far, a 3-0 win against a rookie Vampire team and a 3-1 win against a rooki Necro team. And the low armor and the survivability is a real issue, like norse. Thats the reason for picking Dodge as a second skill on the gorillas and runners.

Mass grab works fine..the opponent can't build or hold any line. With the grab its mostly possible to open an hole in the defense line and make a blitz against the ball carrier with the runner. His starting wrestle works well too *G*

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Three Die Block has covered this on a few episodes if you're interested. Team bulds, league play, tourney play - some would say we've covered it too much. :)

Not to say we've covered it particularly well but we are enthusiastic about the team for obvious reasons. :)

Thanks for playing the Simyin, I hope you enjoy them!

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Imo, the best ball carrier of this team is the runner (as mv7, and access to A-skill), and even if he has wrestle at start.

i would go (in league) this way:
max 1 Thrower (leader, block, kickoff return, ... kick?)
1 runner developped as ball-carrier hunter (stripball, tackle, jumpup, dodge, dauntless, mightyblow if double...)
1 runner developped as ball carrier (dodge, side step, block!, surhands...)

the 4 blockers and the bigguy would follow the classic blockers road: (block) guard, mighty blow, stand-firm or side step, ... no brainer
but, NO Pilling On (i do prefer those guy being always up...)
and why not some dodge+breaktackle blockers

for the linemen, definitly at least one dirty player (to enjoy as much as possible the spam of Grab!)
for the rest, no brainer, classic lino (block, tackle, fend, guard, ...)

pauli42
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pauli42 »

@SunDevil: I really enjoyed the Three Die Block Shows!!! Which episodes covers the Simyin?

@babass: I think your way is absolute fine and will work with the apes, if you want to play a more running game like the norse. But i dont want to go this classic way with them. I want to use the extras the team have and that is everyone includ the gorillas are able to catch the Ball. So i will try out a more long passing game, where every ape is able to score and so every ape is a threat for the opponent that he has to cover. This is especially hard for him with all the grab my apes have :D

The bonobos are my real Tight Ends..they can catch and score and they also help to block with the gorillas. The GA access of the gorillas allows me to have good ST4 killers (MB, PO, Jump Up) with a low TV value, so i like to have one or two of them.

Shushnik
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Simyin/Apes Team

Post by Shushnik »

The bonobos are pretty awful. They die left and right with AV 7 and no AG access. Mostly filler/makeshift receivers although a running ball carrier bonobo build isn't a terrible idea.

The gorillas are the core of the team. They're a bit slow and no general access is weaksauce, but they're strong and they make good killers.

The Silverback is a good big guy. One of the best, really. Punch things.

Chimps are great markers and ball strippers. Free safety, and damned good at it when developed.

Orangutans are slow which isn't optimum for your thrower, but starting strong arm helps. AV 8 is another good reason to use them.

Basically it's a sub-par version of Norse that is better at ballhandling and passing. If you can win the punch war you'll do well. If your dice aren't winning you have an outside shot of elfing your way to a win. Solidly tier 2 team.

Afroman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Afroman »

The bonobos are just not fluffy enough. How about this :

All Bonobos get the skill promiscuous.

Promiscuous:
A player with this skill has a hard time resisting some of it's primal urges.
Before any action is taken roll a dice. on a '1' the player will move to the nearest teammate and copulate. Put both players face up. no armour roll required. No TO
In addition, a Promiscuous player can choose to make a promiscuous action as it's aturn action. Move to nearest opponent and put both players face up. No armout roll and No TO.

THis should capture the social attributes of a bonobo.... :)

pauli42
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pauli42 »

Afroman wrote:The bonobos are just not fluffy enough. How about this :

All Bonobos get the skill promiscuous.

Promiscuous:
A player with this skill has a hard time resisting some of it's primal urges.
Before any action is taken roll a dice. on a '1' the player will move to the nearest teammate and copulate. Put both players face up. no armour roll required. No TO
In addition, a Promiscuous player can choose to make a promiscuous action as it's aturn action. Move to nearest opponent and put both players face up. No armout roll and No TO.

THis should capture the social attributes of a bonobo.... :)
:lol: :lol: ..very nice one!

pauli42
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pauli42 »

*update*

First match against a rooki human team (3x Blitzer with guard) was tough but went very well. I was very lucky that my armor safes my apes alot and with 5x ST4+ plus grab and some patience i checked the human ball carrier twice in the first half. Second half i lost some apes (norse syndrome) but i scored fast to get some apes back from the KO-box to play a last solid defence. So i won 3-0 (1-0) and nuffle was very well-disposed..my first level-up roll for a lineape was a 6+6 :D and i got enough gold to buy another line ape.

Next game is against a Underworld Team....

Shushnik
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Simyin/Apes Team Guide

Post by Shushnik »

Str4 av7 without block.

Talk about a target. You'll be lucky if he survives to his next skill.

pauli42
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pauli42 »

Shushnik wrote:Str4 av7 without block.

Talk about a target. You'll be lucky if he survives to his next skill.
Indeed ...it was a high risk, high reward choice..but if he survices (yes, the chance are very low), then he'll be great..and killing an Str4 Av7 is harder then an Str3 Av7 8)

Shushnik
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Shushnik »

It's a tough choice. I might have gone with dodge. It's that freaking important on those guys and you already have 5 high str pieces. But a sixth is super tempting. Hopefully you can make it the next one and it's another double. Good luck!

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I've never played in a league with these Simyin ... but glancing over the roster, I am wondering ... is a team with as much ST as Orcs, and 5 guys with access to ST skills, really as fragile as everyone is saying? They have some high ST guys and AV7 linemen; so do Lizardmen or Chaos Dwarves.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Shushnik
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Shushnik »

An alternative ball carrier scheme could be to develop both orangutans as carriers.

Identical skill progerssion of:

Dump-off, nerves of steel, pass, fend, wrestle [dodge, catch]

Might be a lot of skill investment into a running scheme, but I can see it being pretty effective since they're a bit slow but decent at durability. With everybody having extra arms, most everyone becomes at least a tolerable desperation dump-off target.

Just got to thinking about them as a receiver like you said you'd develop one, and frankly they're just too slow for that role. If you really want a true ape passing game, I think a chimp has to be receiving. But dual runners is an idea I kinda wanna try now.

Shushnik
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Shushnik »

rolo wrote:I've never played in a league with these Simyin ... but glancing over the roster, I am wondering ... is a team with as much ST as Orcs, and 5 guys with access to ST skills, really as fragile as everyone is saying? They have some high ST guys and AV7 linemen; so do Lizardmen or Chaos Dwarves.
No easy block access on the gorillas, since they're A,S. Only Str4 in the game without easy general access. Dodge access and AV8 makes them pretty durable, but without blodge they're not perfectly tough.

Bonobos are almost identical to hobgoblins, and any chorf coach can attest to how durable they aren't.

Chimps have the skills access, but AV7 can make them fragile.

It's a pretty mediocre durability team at best, even when developed. Out of the box they're fragile as hell.