Dark Elf Blitzer Progression

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Re: Dark Elf Blitzer Progression

Post by mattgslater »

On FUMBBL, there's the waiting game.

"Waiting for coach to use Side Step."
"Waiting for coach to use Fend."
"Waiting for coach to use Apothecary."

I was a huge fan of Side Step in other rulesets, and in the early days of LRB5. Combined with Blodge, it can be extremely effective. But in the era of POMB and BB-as-wargame, I'd take Fend first. Fend cancels PO. And I'd take Sure Hands before I took Fend.

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I guess that depends on your playing environment. Not everyone plays in Box. If this is a normal league with a schedule and playing against other teams with less than hundreds of games each, those fabled armies of ClawPOMBers are not likely to be an issue.

For your MA8 Ball Carrier type player, Sure Hands is probably your best choice. It will save you rerolls over and over again, and protect you from Strip Ball. (And incidentally, next time you play against that one Wood Elf team with their one-trick Strip-Ball Wardancer(s), it'll serve as a demonstration that Leap, *while an excellent, game-changing skill, especially on an AG5 guy*, can sometimes suffer from diminishing returns when used for the leap-in-a-cage trick).
After that, I love Side Step, just because it's so irritating, and it lets you build a half-cage on the sideline when you need to. Sure Feet and Sprint in some order increase your range and greatly improve your one-turner odds. Fend is great because it can save you dodges sometimes, and often it can leave opposing Blitzers stranded in tackle zones and not standing next to your ball carrier. I'm not sure if I'd even use a doubles roll on a Dark Elf ball carrier ... maybe Guard, just because having Guard in the pigpile that often builds up around the Ball Carrier is so immensely helpful. But most of the time it would go to waste.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

rolo wrote:I guess that depends on your playing environment. Not everyone plays in Box. If this is a normal league with a schedule and playing against other teams with less than hundreds of games each, those fabled armies of ClawPOMBers are not likely to be an issue.

For your MA8 Ball Carrier type player, Sure Hands is probably your best choice. It will save you rerolls over and over again, and protect you from Strip Ball. (And incidentally, next time you play against that one Wood Elf team with their one-trick Strip-Ball Wardancer(s), it'll serve as a demonstration that Leap, *while an excellent, game-changing skill, especially on an AG5 guy*, can sometimes suffer from diminishing returns when used for the leap-in-a-cage trick).
After that, I love Side Step, just because it's so irritating, and it lets you build a half-cage on the sideline when you need to. Sure Feet and Sprint in some order increase your range and greatly improve your one-turner odds. Fend is great because it can save you dodges sometimes, and often it can leave opposing Blitzers stranded in tackle zones and not standing next to your ball carrier. I'm not sure if I'd even use a doubles roll on a Dark Elf ball carrier ... maybe Guard, just because having Guard in the pigpile that often builds up around the Ball Carrier is so immensely helpful. But most of the time it would go to waste.
I agree with just about all of this. Re: SS vs Fend and POMB, "armies of ClawPOMBers" may never materialize, but if you're playing more than 10 games, TPOMB Blitzers (esp Humans and Orcs) are a real thing. Fend is almost as good as SS* before you consider the fact that it counters both Frenzy and PO. So Fend is at least as good as SS in LRB6. I think that's our only point of departure.

* It's better if you fall down. Preventing follow-ups can deny assists and keep tackle zones away from where you don't want them. It's also good if you keep your feet. It may just be better than SS even without considering its skill-countering properties.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
fromherashes
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fromherashes »

Thanks for the feedback folks, got some sort of idea as to how I'm headed now. Much appreciated.

fromherashes
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fromherashes »

The Ball Carrier build just got a whole lot more interesting as I got a 2nd +MA on him!

Now sitting with 4 Blitzers on the following:

1. MA 9 ST 3 AG 4 AV 8 Block SPP 19
2. MA 7 ST 3 AG 5 AV 8 Block, Dodge, Leap SPP 31
3. MA 7 ST 3 AG 4 AV 8 Block, Dodge SPP 9
4. MA 7 ST 3 AG 4 AV 8 Block, Dodge, Tackle SPP 19

Badly need Dodge on the MA 9 guy to keep him on his feet. Then is sure hands still the best bet?

I'll probably go Strip Ball on the AG 5 guy and have him as my hunter.

That leaves the other two, what should I go for next on the tackle guy and the other guy? Side step? If I got a double on either I'd likely go for guard as a mobile assist but any other ideas for normal and doubles?

I'm still struggling with Witch Elves, that AV7 puts me in trouble all the time as I'm in a fairly bashy league. And I'm just not good enough yet at protecting them. Boy do they screw up a match when they die/get injured.

I did have one that was looking good and got a double for Mighty Blow but she carked it against Woodies, of all teams, which leaves me with one left and she's 1 SPP off her first skill. I'm inclined to take block regardless of doubles but what do you folks think?

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

MA 9 ST 3 AG 4 AV 8 Block SPP 19
Sprint! To do one turns easy

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

I'd be tempted to make the AG5 chap your ball carrier. There's something to be said for AG5 and leap for getting past a tightly packed defence when careful manoeuvring hasn't already worked.

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
sirsebstar
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by sirsebstar »

what can possibly not be great on an AG5 leaper elf...
eh you just jumped into a cage with 4 very angry pissed off players while trying to take their toy away. free blocks and then foul follows.
crunch

other than that, yes, go for it. its annoying that no line will hold you, so do that.

block of wrestle is really needed on a witch elf. potentially even over a first doubles, although mighty blow followed by piling on (on a second doubles) can be paired with jump up very effectively. it is a required taste player though. i love it, but i have seen frenzy put people in harms way too.

also, MA 9 for the win.
get sure feet and or sprint.
you are now 2 pushes away from a one turn touchdown machine.

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

fromherashes wrote:I'm inclined to take block regardless of doubles but what do you folks think?
I like juggernaut for a first double.
Helps with surfing.

sirsebstar
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by sirsebstar »

just to prevent misunderstandings, cause i dont know if its trolling, but no. you need either wrestle or block
wrestle is the lesser, but does have synergy with jump up and is better in sacking the ballcarrier. Block is a lifelong joy in casualties.
Pedda wrote:
fromherashes wrote:I'm inclined to take block regardless of doubles but what do you folks think?
Helps with surfing.

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

sirsebstar wrote:just to prevent misunderstandings, cause i dont know if its trolling, but no. you need either wrestle or block
wrestle is the lesser, but does have synergy with jump up and is better in sacking the ballcarrier. Block is a lifelong joy in casualties.
Pedda wrote:
Helps with surfing.
I'm not trolling. With juggernaut, you turn a both down in to a push and you prevent people from using wrestle, stand firm or fend, which means that you're likely to get a push, which in turn makes it easier to surf players off the field (if you blitz). This means, that as long as you blitz, you're safe from the both down result, which is why you'd like to take block. Sure, you're not as protected as with block, but you can protect a which and getting her to 16 SPP shouldn't be that difficult.

Second skill can be block, in order to hunt down wrestlers.