BB2016 Edition - long term teams

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Re: BB2016 Edition - long term teams

Post by plasmoid »

In some ways I like how redrafting resets everone to somewhere around 1.4 mill every now and then.
This makes it easier for new coaches to join a League.
But there are lots of coaches who enjoy high-TV play, and who would not enjoy having their team reset every (say) 10 games.
Another way to deal with this - if you have enough players - is to have more than 1 division.

Entry division, with redraft every now and then.
Established division - enter when ready - no redraft.

Or something along those lines.

I'm fortunate enough to run a League with 6 6-team divisions, and I don't think redrafting would be popular for the highest divisions. At all.

Cheers
Martin

Reason: ''
Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Divisions could have different base treasuries added. That gives a real reward for being promoted and a real issue if you get relegated.

For example:
Rookie division = 1M teams.
Novice division = Normal redraft rules.
Experienced division = Normal redraft rules + 200k (or whatever)
Veteran division = Normal redraft rules + 400k (or whatever)
Top division = no redraft rules.

Also, you could allow players who are cut but do not "want to retire" to enter a free agent pool to allow teams with the cash available to hire them. I'd add a "loyalty premium" to their cost, too.

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

dode74 wrote:
6) Allow retired players to be re-purchased during the league season
Think carefully about this one. We used a Free Agent system in OFL and found such players to be VERY powerful, particularly at the start of a season. We added a Free Agent tax of 30k but that was found to be inequitable: a CW gets a 30% tax while a beastman gets a 50% tax. In the end we went for a system based on the value of skills added to the player:
Skill Value: 20-30k = 10k Premium
Skill Value: 40-60k = 20k Premium
Skill Value: 70-90k = 30k Premium
Skill Value: 100-120k = 40k Premium
Skill Value: 130-150k = 50k Premium

Unfortunately for personal reasons we didn't get much chance to play with this, but it was considered a step forwards.
Thanks Dode - this is some great advice if we do decide to play with the new rule set. But I just don't think the math will work especially if a veteran team only gets a few games in during the season. This team becomes mangled...

I would love to know the reasons behind the rebuy system. Was this to curb online farming or were their real TT issues which our league was oblivious to?

If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Re:

Post by Warpstone »

Shteve0 wrote:Locally we're looking at using a modified system of the rules that we were looking at bringing in anyway.

Essentially:
Each team will get a performance bonus at season's end, between 1.5 and 2 million GPs, depending on final position in the division and number of rounds played in the finals. Deducted from that will be the value of any players retained in the seasons end contract reviews (ie not retired) and 10k for each clear ten gamed each retained player has under their belt. All other goods can be kept free.

Teams will be split into rookie (new teams, chosen mvp) and pro for the division stages, but combine for playoffs.

A simpler version, hopefully it takes.
Reminds me a bit of the premier league. So you've swapped out WTR for a (10k X each 10 games) fee? Also, do you plan on using expensive mistakes too?

We're throwing similar ideas around in our league. While raising funds might be tuned for hedging back TV, the WTR rules are what we're struggling the most with. For one thing, the randomness is a bit bizarre if the goal is to declaw perpetual teams. If Coach A has good end of season rolls and I have bad ones, then where's the league balance advantage in that? That's why your cost per games value makes sense. But even if we make the WTR figure predictable, it seems like we'd have to ditch expensive mistakes unless we followed a similar model of end of season bonuses.

As an aside, I can sympathize with celticgriffon's coaches: I have no problems with stunting my TV for the good of the league, but if you start killing my players again with a die roll then we've really regressed back towards LRB4 aging and given up on a long era of perpetual play. :puke:

Spike! Magazine Major Tournament - September @ Vancouver, BC, Canada

Thunderbowl Sports Network - Head Coach of the Leaps of Faith.
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Dude. Warpstone. Ever coming back to pbem? :D

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Warpstone »

plasmoid wrote:Dude. Warpstone. Ever coming back to pbem? :D
Not if you institute WTR. :D I'm the guy who keeps threatening Poundfist that I'll get over my revulsion to Dwarves if our leagues adopts DZ.

PM if you need players Martin.

Spike! Magazine Major Tournament - September @ Vancouver, BC, Canada

Thunderbowl Sports Network - Head Coach of the Leaps of Faith.
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

celticgriffon wrote:I would love to know the reasons behind the rebuy system. Was this to curb online farming or were their real TT issues which our league was oblivious to?
Just for fun and fluff, really. OFL was based on the NFL system with franchises, a draft for races etc, so having free agents was part of that.

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

Hi everyone,

Tonight we had a meeting to determine how to proceed. It was productive and positive which was extremely encouraging.

For our upcoming season we will be transitioning to the new GW rule-set (for better or worse). All coaches will be doing a full league re-start with teams at 1M.

I am hopeful this news will bring a bunch of new blood into our league. It should be an extremely interesting season. Here is a summary of our modifications:

* New League Rules for 2017 Season

1) New GW Blood Bowl 2016 rule-set will be in effect with Death Zone Season I, Teams of Legends, and any official FAQ and Errata
2) Slaan Roster from CRP is allowed including any eligible inducements.
3) All teams will be doing a full re-start with 1M TV
4) Treasury will be included in TV calculations
5) Piling-on Optional Rule will be in effect
6) Rules for Special Play Cards will not be used - they will be used as per the CRP inducements
7) Wizards are no longer an eligible inducement
8 ) The initial re-draft value for the 2018 season will tentatively be an average of all games played + an average of all casualties and TD's + 1M + individual treasury.
9) Spiraling expenses will be in effect as per optional rules.
10) Play-off qualification requires a minimum of 5 early and 5 late season matches.
11) Revised house rules in effect for incorrect setup procedures.
12 ) Revised adjustments to end of year Trophies (team and player).
13) Star Player casualties will no longer be tracked by the league.
14) Clyde Crabtree is now an eligible Star Player for Dwarf, Chaos Dwarf and Chaos Pact rosters. STATS: 5 3 3 9 Block, Thick Skull, Mighty Blow, Diving Catch, Guard, Tackle, Stand Firm, Dodge, Loner 290k gps (this is because any player in our league which reaches 176 or more SPP's can retire the player and it becomes a RFBBL Star)

Cheers,
Michael

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

I have also added another House Rule for our end of year Season (Player) MVP. This is awarded to the player who has gained the most SPP's this season.

This player is automatically re-drafted at no cost to the team in the next season. I am just wondering if I should exclude MVP's from this calculation? My hunch with the 1d3 MVP's is to do so.

Michael

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

<long post warning>
Too late for the OP, but my league will be facing some similar issues. (We will finish current CRP season at the end of Jan.)
I really like some of the new rules and dislike some. I do think that they all are meant to work together. Picking them like a buffet seems like a bad idea.

History/current state:
Perpetual open play with 3 seasons/playoffs each year.
You can play as many teams as you want.
Everyone can pick one team they played in the season to go into playoffs.
Premier division outside of regular division.
Premier division is round robin season followed by top 4 in playoff.
Premier season start and end are untethered from regular season timing. (It starts when it gets started and ends when all the games are played.)
While a team is in the premier division it can not play in regular division.

Proposal I'm working on:
Adopt all the new rules. (Minor changes like keeping Slann.)
Season End rules only trigger when a team re-enters the regular division season (after playoffs or leaving premier division).
A season is defined as the time between (team start and) Season Ends.

If a coach plays 51 games a year and competes in all three playoffs, they will average a redraft every 17 games. Since this counts playoff games, it is within (but at the high side) of the game count presented in DZ1. Coaches could skip playoffs to redraft with a higher value, but the bragging rights come from the playoffs and premier division. Premier division games will provide that team with more redraft funds, but doesn't change the average for the coach. Some teams will be outliers from the average, but the coach will have to sacrifice another teams redraft funding or not play in playoffs.

Math:
Our league averages 3.3 (TD+CAS)/game.
17 games would mean ~1450k + FF + treasury - WTR when redrafting.
On average the team will then have 14 games of rebuilding before entering a 3 game playoff.

This looks good to me. I'm the coach in our league that likes playing the highest TVs. Now I just need to persuade the rest of my league.

Djay
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Djay »

CyberedElf wrote:<long post warning>
Too late for the OP, but my league will be facing some similar issues. (We will finish current CRP season at the end of Jan.)
I really like some of the new rules and dislike some. I do think that they all are meant to work together. Picking them like a buffet seems like a bad idea.

History/current state:
Perpetual open play with 3 seasons/playoffs each year.
You can play as many teams as you want.
Everyone can pick one team they played in the season to go into playoffs.
Premier division outside of regular division.
Premier division is round robin season followed by top 4 in playoff.
Premier season start and end are untethered from regular season timing. (It starts when it gets started and ends when all the games are played.)
While a team is in the premier division it can not play in regular division.

Proposal I'm working on:
Adopt all the new rules. (Minor changes like keeping Slann.)
Season End rules only trigger when a team re-enters the regular division season (after playoffs or leaving premier division).
A season is defined as the time between (team start and) Season Ends.

If a coach plays 51 games a year and competes in all three playoffs, they will average a redraft every 17 games. Since this counts playoff games, it is within (but at the high side) of the game count presented in DZ1. Coaches could skip playoffs to redraft with a higher value, but the bragging rights come from the playoffs and premier division. Premier division games will provide that team with more redraft funds, but doesn't change the average for the coach. Some teams will be outliers from the average, but the coach will have to sacrifice another teams redraft funding or not play in playoffs.

Math:
Our league averages 3.3 (TD+CAS)/game.
17 games would mean ~1450k + FF + treasury - WTR when redrafting.
On average the team will then have 14 games of rebuilding before entering a 3 game playoff.

This looks good to me. I'm the coach in our league that likes playing the highest TVs. Now I just need to persuade the rest of my league.
I know we've talked about this to death, but I don't want to go to sleep.
I do see your point about the rules working together, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to only take part of the package. I'm still going to argue that we need to drop the first column of Expensive Mistakes, though. As a player that prefers the low AV Norse, the idea that, even if it's a small chance, I can't keep enough gold in the bank to hire a replacement Werewolf or Yeti really bothers me. I think the rule unfairly hurts low armor teams that already have trouble keeping their players on the field. Starting at 200k makes more sense to me.

I'm coming around on all the off-season stuff, though. As long as I get to choose which team I take into the playoffs, and as long as I can designate that team for the Champion's Division after the playoffs and not go through the off-season, which is what we've talked about and what I believe you're proposing.
I think it might be better to start at 1,250,000-1,300,000 instead of 1,000,000 but I guess we can see how it plays out after a season or two.

With the new players coming in (yay!), it probably makes sense to go with the rules in their rulebooks with minor league rule additions.

I still also like the idea of only players that got SPPs rolling for MVP on the winning team, and the D3 for those that tie/lose.

rvlvr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by rvlvr »

Hi guys,

Did not want to start a thread, so thought to ask here.

Came back after a long hiatus. Just wondering if all the topics here are nowadays Blood Bowl 2016 related, or are they for older version of the game? Seems this forum software does not allow tags to be added to topics? Pretty sure I am able to overcome this "massive" nuisance, but, you know, I like to whine!

Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deathrain »

rvlvr wrote:Hi guys,

Did not want to start a thread, so thought to ask here.

Came back after a long hiatus. Just wondering if all the topics here are nowadays Blood Bowl 2016 related, or are they for older version of the game? Seems this forum software does not allow tags to be added to topics? Pretty sure I am able to overcome this "massive" nuisance, but, you know, I like to whine!
Most aren't, probably, but ultimately the differences will only show when it comes to some bashy teams that used Piling On a lot. And there you can usually replace Piling on with any other bash skill that would have been taken later on if you still want to apply the tips, like Tackle.

rvlvr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by rvlvr »

Cheers, man.

And yeah: I only recently got my hands on the new stuff, did not know the diffences were so slight.

Sorry for the off topic.