To Kick or to Receive

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Northern Monkey
Rookie
Rookie

To Kick or to Receive

Post by Northern Monkey »

So, what's your preference on the 1st turn of a game, you win the coin toss, do you elect to kick or receive, for many years I always preferred to receive - so I had possession and a better chance of scoring first. Now im not so sure and tend to Kick, my thinking is that at the start of the game I have my best defensive players available and this may not be true at the start of the 2nd half, whats your preference and why?

Reason: ''
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: To Kick or to Receive

Post by Regash »

I preferably want to kick so I can later decide how hard I have to try to make some TDs.
Not that my plans work out, though... :| :wink:

Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Fold »

I'm sure it depends massively on the teams and the opponent, whether you know their style etc...
Last season I was wood elves and didn't know any of my opponents, I always kicked if I could so I could gauge their ability and whether it was a game I could steal the ball and go for a big score, or if I had to play tight for a 2-1 or 1-0.

I think the information you get about the opponent by kicking is pretty huge if you don't now them, regardless of the team.

Oventa
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oventa »

Usually offence is best.
First blocks and being able to control the pace/clock are very important benefits!
Also if you are 1 up at half time, you put a choice on the opponent if he is to go for a draw or a potential mor risky win option. So the pressure is on the other side.

That said it simply depends on the races, the skills, the coach, so the complete setup.
With some (fragile agile) teams I prefer to kick in certain matchups.

Or similar to previous poster: if you play woodies in a tournament and want to go for most touchdowns, and think you opponent might not play so well. Then go for defence:)

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

I think it mostly comes down to ball security in the particular match up (races/coaches/skills).
If you can keep the ball safe for 8 turns, receive.
If you can steal the ball, kick.
If you do both of the above equally well, receive and hit first.

El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

As said above, it all comes down to the teams, the skills they have and the ability as a coach.

If you have the skills to kick well (kick) and enough speed to pressure high. I would think that you are a fairly squishy team and kicking first guarantees you a full team to put a defensive effort together.

If you on the other hand are the more violent side, you want to receive first to make sure you get a maximum of blocking in and remove as much players as you can. Especially if the other side also want to play the attrition game.
Unless of course the opposing team is very good at defending and pressuring the ball. In that case it is better to give them the ball and make them score quick by caging in most of their players so you can steadily mangle them while they try to stall you out.

Hope this helps a little.