Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Blood Bowl » Tactics & Team Development League

Post subject: The Jackass Offense: Turn 1 Surf on a 303 Line
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:27 pm 
King of Comedy

Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy
I developed this on FUMBBL.

Quick Terminological Note: for notating the width of the pitch, I designate each column (row on the FUMBBL pitch, which is sideways from this perspective) from L7 to R7, with 0 in the center. The Wide Zone Marker is between columns 3 and 4 on either side.

Generally, most opponents set up one of four three-man defensive lines: 101, 303, 202, and 123/321.

Code:
101 line
- - - -|- - X X X - -|- - - -

202 line
- - - -|- X - X - X -|- - - -

303 line
- - - -|X - - X - - X|- - - -

321 line
- - - -|X X X - - - -|- - - -

I'm going to show you how to punish your opponent for playing a 303 line, using one player with Frenzy.

So the enemy sets up a 303 "boat" or "rule of 5" defense.
Code:
- - - -|- - - - - - -|- - - -
- - - -|- X X X X X -|- - - -

You've seen that lots of times, right? Nice and conservative, gives you some control on both sides of the pitch, makes the opponent commit a lot of men to the line. Common defense, and not a bad one.

So you set up like this: #7 is your Frenzy player. It helps if #1, #3, #5, and/or #9 is ST4, so you can blitz without an assist, 'cuz this tactic eats manpower. Mighty Blow on #2 and #4 is nice to have too. But that's all not necessary. Just the one Frenzy and equal ST on the line.
Code:
- - - -|- - - - - - -|- - 9 -
- - 1 2|3 - 4 5 - 6 7|- 8 - -
- - - -|- X X X X X -|- - - -

leaving you 2 players to play the ball (not pictured). If your opponent has no Frenzy, you can move #1 one square outside (to the offense's right, the reader's left on the diagram).

First, block with #2 and #4, going for pow like normal. If #2 pushes, he follows so 3 gets a bite at the apple (unless 3 is ST4 or 4 has Guard). If #4 pushes, ditto, with 5 getting the follow-up block. #2 blocks should do it. If not, c'est la vie, just push 'em away. Likewise if the ball is on the reader's left (offense's right), you might take a push and push away so #3 and/or #5 can reposition. But usually go for the second block.

Then, block with #6, using #7's assist. Push sideways and don't follow. If you get a pow so be it, take it or don't. Pushes are at least as good, though, as they let you put your plan into action.

If you push with #6, block with #7, taking pushes over pows if you feel nasty. Frenzy block him laterally, then upfield with the second block (into your half).

#1 can move at any time from here out, either blitzing the backside (the reader's left) or moving to cover #6. Likewise, you can move one guy up from the backfield to cover #6, and prevent a hole from opening. Or he can stay where he is to cover the back side of the play.

From here, if #10 (let's call him 0) moves up and #1 doesn't move, the LOS looks like this.
Code:
- - - -|- - - - - - -|- - 9 -
- - 1 -|3 - - 5 - 6 -|- 8 X -
- - - -|2 X - 4 X - 0|- 7 - -

#8 then blocks, aiming for the push, pushing him so that #9 can make the surf. Follow if #9 needs the assist.

I've done this a few times successfully, and I don't play a lot of Frenzy. Here are two that I could easily find. When it "doesn't work" it still levels the defensive line and presents a solid line of scrimmage.

Humans vs Amazons
Orcs vs Pro Elves.

Oh, and don't get cute. If you have to RR, take the Pow.

Post subject: Re: The Jackass Offense: Turn 1 Surf on a 303 Line
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:08 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Nicely spotted Matt.
Sadly I don't face that many 303 LoS when I have Frenzy on my team. And it does leave your Frenzy player a little 'in the open' unless you choose to blitz with him. Which I would prefer, so he can mover behind the screen of #1 or #0.

Most of the time when I do see 303 is when they put ST4 BoB or the likes on the LoS Vs elves and other teams lacking strength.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:27 pm 
King of Comedy

Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy
Agility teams like to do 303 boat defenses on FUMBBL all the time.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:29 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Good to know that :)
That makes the extra argument for Frenzy and it makes me wonder if I should opt for the 303 defence myself with my DE... :roll:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:17 pm 
King of Comedy

El_Jairo wrote:
Good to know that :)
That makes the extra argument for Frenzy and it makes me wonder if I should opt for the 303 defence myself with my DE... :roll:

Just 'cuz everybody does it on FUMBBL, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

What do you all do with your defensive line? Any 303 coaches out there? I'm not one, so I can't rightly say why they do it.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:12 pm 
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

As far as I can recall, I lined up 303 on one occasion (and very recently, but before this article, at that).
On that occasion, I had a player surfed with the use of frenzy. I could see it was going to occur after the first block, but it hadn't even crossed my mind as I made my defensive placements...

I'd usually go 101, for the fact of tying up as many players in one spot as possible.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:16 pm 
Legend
Legend

I tried this with my 10 frenzy Norse team on Cyanide. I wanted to get both sides off at once.

Sadly, I kept rolling pows...

King of the Flings

Board index » Blood Bowl » Tactics & Team Development League