Best way to utilize guard on defense setup kickoff ?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

lobosolo
Rookie
Rookie

Best way to utilize guard on defense setup kickoff ?

Post by lobosolo »

Is there a good way to utilize your first player with the guard skill on the defensive setup ? In this case its my first Chaos Dwarf blocker who got guard. I usually place 3 Dwarves on the line in a tight formation like the below example #4. 3 dwarves (D) on the line with my Dwarf with guard (G) just behind them. I setup this way expecting one or two to fall or push the line back to the guard player. if there is no push, I blitz with him into a position to help the rest of the line as needed.

I am just wondering if there is a better way to utilize him on the setup. If I have him on the line, he is usually the first to get dropped.

A few examples of different setups that I am considering, but have not tried in game.

Code: Select all

1 ----|D--G--D|----

2 ----|-D-G-D-|----   

3 ----|--DGD--|----

4 ----|--DDD--|----     
4 ----|---G---|----           

Reason: ''
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Best way to utilize guard on defense setup kickoff ?

Post by CyberedElf »

#3 is better than #1 or #2.
I usually do #3 depending on strength and guard of opponent. I prefer to dictate the way my opponent plays. If you do #4, they can just push you to the side until you fall over. If they have to hit the guard in the middle first (hopefully 1 die) they are reducing the number of total blocks they can get.

nivlaps
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nivlaps »

I personally think your best bet is to keep him off the line and then put somewhere quite central so he can go where support is really needed in subsequent turns - I find this a better use of early guard. Also, this means he will be closer to where the play is decided - not caught up on the line - which I like. :)

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

As nivlaps said. The line is a speed bump.

Deathrain
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Deathrain »

I'd trust the more experienced people here, but I wonder if the guard is on a high strength player, like say a Troll, would it not increase the difficulty of breaking through the line a lot? He won't be blocked with assist (since it is early there won't be much much opposing guard, not enough to overpower the troll), so it is unlikely they can get rid of him easily. The guys on the outside then will have the trolls assist safe and won't get any more than one against them if you put some players in a chevron.

nivlaps
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nivlaps »

Deathrain wrote:I'd trust the more experienced people here, but I wonder if the guard is on a high strength player, like say a Troll, would it not increase the difficulty of breaking through the line a lot? He won't be blocked with assist (since it is early there won't be much much opposing guard, not enough to overpower the troll), so it is unlikely they can get rid of him easily. The guys on the outside then will have the trolls assist safe and won't get any more than one against them if you put some players in a chevron.
Yes, a troll is a different case: He's the player you want your opponent to focus his attention on, so by all means put him on the line, guard or not, and let him be blocked with his AV9 and regen. If he has guard this improves the odds of reversing the tide and gaining some counter-blocks, which is great.

(Also, guard on a troll means you don't have to take actions with him for him to be useful, which is very useful in itself.)

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

nivlaps wrote:I personally think your best bet is to keep him off the line and then put somewhere quite central so he can go where support is really needed in subsequent turns - I find this a better use of early guard. Also, this means he will be closer to where the play is decided - not caught up on the line - which I like. :)
+1
something like this:

Code: Select all

4 ----|D--D--D|----   
4 ----|-------|----    
4 ----|D--G--D|----