10-man TV 1090 Chaos Dwarf development

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

10-man TV 1090 Chaos Dwarf development

Post by kyrre »

Greetings.

I have a 10-man TV 1090 Chaos Dwarf squad. So far I have three ties and a loss. I currently have 140,000 in my treasury. The team consists of:
  • 4 rerolls
    1 Bull Centaur with dodge
    1 Blocker with guard
    4 Blockers (2 with MVP)
    4 Hobgoblins
    1 Hobgoblin journeyman with 3 spp which I can hire for 40,000
= 10 + 1 players

My next game is versus Dark Elfs at TV1050. I would prefer that the other team won't be able to induce a star player.

What should I do next? With my money I can afford
  • buy a Bull Centaur, this will probably add the most to my team. I lack speed so this guy is welcome But it also comes with some inducements for the other team, another BC to skill. As for the real downer here is that I spent some 20 or 30 hours painting my first bull centaur so I am a bit put of starting another single miniature project like that right now.

buy a blocker (painted and ready), buy 1 blocker takes me back to where my team started out.

buy blocker and a 3 spp hobo, (painted and ready) more players for the money. 3 spp hobo could be nice,

buy 3 sp hobo. (painted and ready)

5th reroll. I Have used 4 in six of eight halves I have played.

I am also considering saving up for a minotaur. I know they are kind of lame, but I have a cool model (started painting it) I found minotaurs cool since my first trip to Crete 30 years ago. I used one back when 3rd edition was released. Are they less then useless for my team?
The league I am in play with expensive mistakes. So I need to roll if I stay about 100.000. (3+ or lose 1d3x10000). Another consideration is that if I keep my 10 man squad + journey man I get 10,000 gold extra after the next game, a league rule to help teams recover players (it is not important for me to exploit this one). I will keep from getting to attached to my hobos with this team. Maybe adding sure hands to one or to guys, possibly a kicker.

What do you guys think? Any other ideas for how I should move forward with?

Reason: ''
Genghis
Experienced
Experienced

Re: 10-man TV 1090 Chaos Dwarf development

Post by Genghis »

Personally, I'd drop a RR and buy the centaur. Forget planning for the minotaur if you're already worried about TV bloat. Since they need doubles for mutations, they aren't as good as their Chaos cousins.

Will drink beer for food.

The Tragically Hit - Amorical Cup '17 Team Champions
Best Defense - Underworld Cup '16

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

4 RRs should be more than enough. Get a SHands hobgob ASAP. And another bull.

Personally, I like the mino but I'd probably start a team with one. They get worse when other teams develop, they are hard to skill up with good skills (block!!). Jugs isnt that good --> you need to blitz. And sometimes it's not worth the risk. Anyways...

Dont go for the 5th reroll. mark the ball, place your blocks, pick up the ball and move forward. Take your time, you can handle them.
If possible, score witht he bull. Dont let him get tied up, or he will be no more that an expensive Black orc! You dont want that, that's not his role. He's a sweeper and/or a player you use to put pressure on the opponents ball-carrier. Give him back-up! Your linedwarfs are one of the best payers of the game, role-wise. They can even mutate! :)

Get a hobgob and a blocker. Perhaps an apo? Dont buy another RR (in fact, later on you might even drop one for the TV).

Be prepared to defend your backfield, he's faster and more agile. Beat the shit out of him, make him fear his 2+ dodges. Grind him down. Remind him that a with elf on the floor is as good as dead (you dont HAVE to foul, but the threat might heelp ;)).

You will either win with 2-1 or 1-0, or lose 4-1 or something. As long as you have a decent team for the next game, you're good.

Remember: Every team has a learning curve, some teams are easier on you then other teams. *shrug* I cant use Necros or Lizards, for example. Just not my thing. Maybe yours is CDwarfs, or not. Who knows, right? Personally, I love the little buggers.

Good luck! :D

edit: a 2nd bull is good too. Gives your team a lot of mobility!

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

Thank you for your input.

I tend to use 4 rerolls so I will keep them all for now. I agree that going for a fifth is probably too much. I do not intend to min/max this team and will probably go for the minotaur at some point since I like the model I bought. Though I might get to use him anyway in a planned hobo-minotaur team for playing against my nine year old. So I guess I should take back the team value worry in the original post.

Anyway. I played the dark elf last week and the game ended 2-2. (Bull failed a catch for turn 16 TD) Before the game I went for the wait and see approach buying the 3spp journeyman and saving the rest. I had a bit of trouble countering his light sideline screen. He scored both goals like this (2 or 3 turn touch down).

Code: Select all

|  X
|B
|  X
I think break tackle and possibly frenzy could have helped me here. I tried to go for pushing out of bounds, but could not find the right way to blitz, block to make it happen.

I will definitely go for a sure hands gobo. I have considered them slaves to this point, but sure hands would be a nice addition. Any hobo doing a good job next game will be nominated for MVP. None of my opponents has strip ball yet. I think I will go for break tackle on the dodgy bull sans any blessings from Nuffle. If I get a second bull I think block would probably be the choice ahead of break tackle.

I now have 120.000, so not enough for a bull centaur. Buying a hobo and a blocker for a 13 man team is tempting, I was only able to field 9 players before his second touchdown. Also tempting is to save up for the second bull.

Decisions.

Edit: Oh, I forgot the mention that I have an apothecary. I actually forgot to use him when my orc opponent managed to kill one of my blockers. Doh! I now keep a necromancer type miniature in the casualty as a reminder.

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

Another point. All my three opponents currently have 11 or less players.

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

JaM, Are you Jam of Jams Blood Bowl league back on Geocities?

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Nope. I might google that though, but I'm just... me, I guess.

If anything, I have been active on thewarp.net (for years, actually) when it was still a forum. Also for sale nowadays... I guess I am getting old :)

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

Huh, I bought a new blocker that suffered quick miss next game in my 3-1 win against orcs. My dodgy Bull Centaur rolled a 6+4 for level 2. I was to go for break tackle but I am not going against Nuffle's stat up blessings, so +movement it was. A hobgoblin gained sure hands. With 2 touchdown he had to be nominated as MVP, which he won, for a total 11 SPP in that single game. I think another guard would have been more useful.

Nuffle works in mysterious ways.

Back at 120,000 gold total. Saving for another blitzer or a minotaur.

All in all a good weekend.

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

Not a 10 man squad any more. My development woes are now more with skills. Selected skills ordered by date.

I have 1 bull centaur, dodge, +movement(25spp).
I think this one was a mistake. I find doubles hard to ignore. While dodge have helped me to get at least 1 touchdown(black orc failed to sack), I do not use the skill skill in my turn unless I really need to. While speed is good, he will still be missing either breack tackle or block at level 3. Will probably go for break tackle for mobility. I am considering booting this guy and go for a block bull centaur instead.

1 bull centaur with break tackle. (6spp)
I am happy with this guy. 2 touchdown in his first game (ball stealing) and 4+ dodge fail away from a touchdown in his second game(After a 6+ catch, and a break tackle 4+/6+ dodge). Need block obviously.

1 hobo sure hands, block. Appart from failing pick ups all the time, this guy is a fine addition to the team.

4 no skill hobos. They are there. Due to their untrustworthy slave like behaviour I like to keep these guys down. I am considering sacking one of them (2,3,3,4 spp). I will nominate for MVP if they play a good match though. My plans include 1 kicker , 1 dirty player, 1 blocker, 1 wrestler, and reboot if they do not get double or attribute increase by level 2. (not a min/maxer honestly(!), I just like to keep the hobos from getting to high on themselves. Two of them sit on the bench anyway)

3 Blockers with guard. I can almost cover a cage with guard. I think stand firm is the natural development?

1 blocker with guard and mighty blow. Am I at peak guard here? Mighty blow worked better than expected in the first game using it. (2 cas on skaven)

1 blocker with +strength. This one is perfect addition to the 4 guards. (I think, no games yet). If my next level up is a double I am thinking two heads (+ break tackle) here for blocker dodging crazyness. I still have 4 rerolls. If my next skill is the more likly no double, I think I could use grab or maybe stand firm. Mighty blow more useful than those skills?

1 blocker with 0 spp. Peak guard right? If double I will take claw. The miniature is already in the mail. I am thinking I need grab on a guy. I should practise 1 TTD with my 7 MA Bull, a grabber could be useful to complement. Is mighty blow better for this guy?

13 players total, 4 rerolls and 120,000 gold.

I hope the post is not too long. Where do you think I should go from here? (especially +strength and 0 spp blockers). All comments appreciated.

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

You have the dream bull - do not sack him! Break tackle as his next skill and he becomes incredibly mobile. Then, just feed him touchdowns until you get block.

He's a blitzer, he's a blodging ball carrier, he's a safety, he's a threat.

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

Thanks nazgob. You are right. I am a bit worried about the long progression though. With the second bull centaur they have to share touchdown opportunities. +MA will probably be easier to move to where the ball is located. I hope I do not roll another +attribute when the time comes to level.

What frustrate me a bit is that I often end up having to do a 4+ with or without rerolls to score with these guys late in the half. Often this will be on defense. I might tune down my aggressive defense to score more myself. I think I might have given up a win on monday due to pressuring my skaven opponent for the entire first half. He was able to -2db wrestle me and next turn -2block dice double pow after I stole the ball from him.

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

I keep dreaming; Do you think two heads is a viable choice if I roll a non strength double for my ST4 blocker? (2+ dodge into 1 tacklezone with break tackle). More fun than the obligatory claw I say.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

More fun, but Claw is better. :/

Reading up, take MB next on the +ST guy and the Guards, just spam MB and Guard and you can't go wrong on normal skills.

4-5 MB is optimal; your top 4-5 blockers will make most of your hits.

Keep the weird Bull. He'll be awesome when he hits Super Star. If you get a double with him, you could skip it, but if you get a stat you wanna take it even though it'll slow his progression to Block and Break Tackle.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

I know my suggestions are not the norm, but I find them more successful in my experience.
I take Stand Firm before Mighty Blow. Control of the positioning game (allowing more blocks) has done more for me than MB.
With PO gone, I take Diving Tackle on doubles. Once again my goal is to get more blocks and control the field.
(If you are playing with the old PO and will have the time to get CPOMB, take Claw.)

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

Thanks everyone. I got claw on a guard yesterday. I think I will take one more mighty blow before I go two stand firm on guards. Having a diagonal of stand firming guards in the cage sounds like a good idea.

Now I just need a kicker. Maybe even win a game. Like my team though.