Starting Dark Elves with only one RR?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Starting Dark Elves with only one RR?

Post by el Superbeasto »

I'm about to start a league playing Dark Elves and I was wondering if anyone's been trying them out with only one RR?
I totally aggree with the common understanding that the strongest roster is:
4xBlitzers, 1xRunner, 6xLineman, 2xRR

But I thought, I might try something more fun and less reliable:
3 x Blitzers
2 x Witch Elf
1 x Runner
5 x Lineman
1 x RR

I've done one RR with Wood Elves recently (taking both Wardancers and the Treeman from start), and it worked quite well, although it was hard. Again, I knew it wasn't optimal, but it was more fun and challenging. Wood Elves are also more forgiving, I find, as a single War Dancer can always change the game all by itself. Dark Elves don't have the same options, so what's your experience/thoughts? Are they too hard to run with only one RR?

The league is a 10 game league with five opponents:
Orc
Human
Bretonnia
Vampire
Norse

I'm probably the most experienced coach in the league, so that's worth taking into consideration as well.

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts! :wink:

Reason: ''
My sales thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42857
swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Starting Dark Elves with only one RR?

Post by swilhelm73 »

I prefer the standard option as you have more block, fewer players to shield, and rerolls cost more later...

Additionally, it is easy to skill up DE, so I don't think getting your witches later will set you back much (like delaying nurgle warriors or BOBs does). I'd also be concerned about having two without block on your roster...

You will find yourself burning through that 1 RR quickly of course as rolling a 1 or a skull will come up a fair amount early in turns...but you already recognize this will be a harder setup.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I imagine in this case, your runner gets Leader as soon as he can. I think it's less optimal than the "standard" lineup (as do you!).

I think if you start with one reroll, your team will eventually look the same as if you'd started with two. But of course, you'll end up spending 50k more to get there. When will that be? I always buy an apothecary first, and if you then buy a double-priced reroll, you won't be able to afford that fourth Blitzer until your team has made 250k in cash. How long will that take?

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

this is a scary way to start. I prefer the 4 blitzers 7 line elfs and 2x rerolls

Mahwell skel
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mahwell skel »

I wouldn't advise this as the frenzy witch elves will get you into trouble that will burn the re-roll fast. You need 2 for optimal dodging. 1 witch 2 re-rolls is better.

Aino
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aino »

DixonCider wrote:this is a scary way to start. I prefer the 4 blitzers 7 line elfs and 2x rerolls
Ils swap one of the blitzers for a witch. .extra surfing threat and 10k already towards your next purchase making buying an apo after game 1 very likely.
William

Fighting signature size creep ;)
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Frenzy can be very powerful against less experienced players, of course it is a risk without block.

But you just need to surf 1 or 2 players to change how your opponents play. The AG4 and dodge on the witches let you get away with some glory plays too.

I'd say go for it and let us know how you get on.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.