OT Tournaments

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

ugrosh
Rookie
Rookie

OT Tournaments

Post by ugrosh »

This year i will participate in my first tournament, i always played in league and i think that league are the salt of BB. Anyway i'm curious about the tournament environment and their competitiveness. i Would play with Underworld With troll, skaven blitzers 1 thrower and the rest goblins, i don't see the point of skavens linemen.

I still haven't put much thought about skills, the tournament would be the First Naf sanctioned in Argentina and 1100 TV, thanks a wonderful work that the uruguayan TO is realizing in south america, i've thanked to him in watsapp, and was him who contact me by that mean. Other way i would not know about that tournament.

Reason: ''
http://Image
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Re: OT Tournaments

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Tournaments are fun! And just as much a part of Blood Bowl as leagues IMO! :D

Anyway, I can't speak about how people play in your region, but usually in a tourney there are both competitive people (i.e. people who do their best to try and win the tourney) and non-competitive people (who play Goblins or something like that just to see how well they can do). But neither kind tends to be 'must win at all cost; fun and good spirit is irrelevant'; such people do exist in the Blood bowl tournament scene but are fairly rare.

About Underworld, first off, this is not, in general, a good tournament team. Their strongest point is their skill acces, and in a tourney you rarely get enough skills to offset their lousy stats. They become better if Starplayers are allowed, and/or if the tourney gives more skills to weaker ( 'lower tier' ) teams. So you can totally have fun with them, but don't expect great results. :wink:

If you do play them, take the Troll (obviously) and all the Skaven; they are worth it just for the S3 and no 'stunty'. You can get enough players even if you take all Skaven anyway. If you can have a starplayer, take Skitter Stab Stab, not for his Stab skill, but because he's a Gutter Runner (MA 9, AG 4) and you really need those stats on your team. Take 3 rerolls, an Apo if you want (could be useful for when a skilled Blitzer or Thrower get's BH'd, or even KO'd at the start of the 2nd half. They're worth much more than a goblin.

Some example rosters:

TV 1000 (1):

Troll (110)
Blitzer x2 (180)
Thrower x2 (140)
Lineman x2 (100)
Goblin x 6 (240)
Reroll x 3 (210)
FF/AC/CL x2 (20)

TV 1000 (2):

Skitter Stab Stab (160)
Troll (110)
Blitzer x2 (180)
Thrower x2 (140)
Lineman x2 (100)
Goblin x 4 (160)
Reroll x 2 (140)
FF/AC/CL x1 (10)

TV 1100 (1):

Troll (110)
Blitzer x2 (180)
Thrower x2 (140)
Lineman x2 (100)
Goblin x 7 (280)
Reroll x 3 (210)
Apo x1 (50)
FF/AC/CL x3 (30)

TV 1100 (2):

Skitter Stab Stab (160)
Troll (110)
Blitzer x2 (180)
Thrower x2 (140)
Lineman x2 (100)
Goblin x 5 (200)
Reroll x 3 (210)

For Skills, that obviously depends on what options you have, but Claw on the Troll is a Priority (or Block if you can have a double), Mighty Blow on Blitzers, Block on Throwers, Wrestle on Linemen 2 heads on one Goblin is nice too as are Horns and/or Big Hand if you get really a lot of skills.

Have fun, and let us know how it went! :D

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Dr. Von Richten wrote:But neither kind tends to be 'must win at all cost; fun and good spirit is irrelevant'; such people do exist in the Blood bowl tournament scene but are fairly rare.
I remember the very first BB GT I went to. 5 people didn't turn up on day 2. All of them had not won all 3 games on day one and didn't see the point in playing anymore as they couldn't take the top spot. Only time I've seen that happen at a BB tourney (doesn't mean it hasn't happened elsewhere, only that I've not seen it). So, yeah it's rare :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

The only acceptable excuse to not turn up on day 2 is because you were partying all night and are now in a drunken coma.
Although I have seen Deathwing asleep at the table during game 4.

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

lunchmoney wrote:
Dr. Von Richten wrote:But neither kind tends to be 'must win at all cost; fun and good spirit is irrelevant'; such people do exist in the Blood bowl tournament scene but are fairly rare.
I remember the very first BB GT I went to. 5 people didn't turn up on day 2. All of them had not won all 3 games on day one and didn't see the point in playing anymore as they couldn't take the top spot. Only time I've seen that happen at a BB tourney (doesn't mean it hasn't happened elsewhere, only that I've not seen it). So, yeah it's rare :)
One guy did this at a local tournament. A few weeks later, he quit our local league and started posting about how much Blood Bowl sucks and how his opponents always have great dice luck and his always sucks.

(In fairness, Blood Bowl can be a cruel game and we've all been there). But yeah, that's one guy out of dozens of tournaments I've been to.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
ugrosh
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ugrosh »

With the new made to order from GW ive changed the plan and i plan play with vamps, online i have some experience with vamps, more than with underworld. The skill set is according the NAF tier and after each round 1 skill more 1st round: 1 normal skill, 2nd round 1 double skill or 2 normal skill, and after round 3: 1 normal skill.

The rosters
8 thralls (1 with guard)
3 vampires ( 2 with dodge and 1 with strong arm)
4rr
1 apo
(100 k cash for inducements, mostly 1 more rr)
Tv 100k

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

There is no "NAF tier", it's up to individual TOs (just for your info if there are other events).

And if the extra skills you listed are correct you've got an error, as you've got to many skills.
As an aside, Strong Arm is a poor skill choice.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
ugrosh
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ugrosh »

Darkson wrote:There is no "NAF tier", it's up to individual TOs (just for your info if there are other events).

And if the extra skills you listed are correct you've got an error, as you've got to many skills.
As an aside, Strong Arm is a poor skill choice.
Well i know nothing about tournaments, about the skills, yes there are 1 skill more. about strong arm, could be.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

ugrosh wrote:i don't see the point of skavens linemen.
MA7, ST3 and G access maybe? With a league the golbins are so tasty because of the M access and what you can make them with 2 or 3 skills. However in a tourney where you are limited with skills, the Underworld goblins are not as good as option as they are in league.

ugrosh
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ugrosh »

harvestmouse wrote:
ugrosh wrote:i don't see the point of skavens linemen.
MA7, ST3 and G access maybe? With a league the golbins are so tasty because of the M access and what you can make them with 2 or 3 skills. However in a tourney where you are limited with skills, the Underworld goblins are not as good as option as they are in league.
Happens that i've tested for a few games online, and the linemen did not resulted me. I've lost the lineman, really all the skavens except the blitzers although neither leveled up.

Indeed that its a rez tourney so casualities isnt a issue, but im in doubt if isnt better have cash for inducements. Or the other possibility is play with vampires.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

AG3/AV7 play is a skill in itself, and it isn't easy. A lot of it would depend on how many skills you have to buy and whom you will put them on. If lets say you get 6 skills and only 1 per player. The 3 other skaven are certain for skills. However 50k linos with Block are a really good shout. Boring, but a good shout.

ugrosh
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ugrosh »

harvestmouse wrote:AG3/AV7 play is a skill in itself, and it isn't easy. A lot of it would depend on how many skills you have to buy and whom you will put them on. If lets say you get 6 skills and only 1 per player. The 3 other skaven are certain for skills. However 50k linos with Block are a really good shout. Boring, but a good shout.
Point taken, i would see. still have plenty of time, and ill consult better the skills i can take for the roster with the organizer.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

harvestmouse wrote:AG3/AV7 play is a skill in itself, and it isn't easy. A lot of it would depend on how many skills you have to buy and whom you will put them on. If lets say you get 6 skills and only 1 per player. The 3 other skaven are certain for skills. However 50k linos with Block are a really good shout. Boring, but a good shout.
i do prefer wrestle on them :smoking:

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

babass wrote:
Maybe in tournaments, to be honest I wouldn't know the full subtleties there. In League I'd go block, due to a second skill being 2 heads for me. Also the horns/2heads/wrestle 2heads/dt/ss combo build for the gobbos is potent.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

harvestmouse wrote:
babass wrote:
Maybe in tournaments, to be honest I wouldn't know the full subtleties there. In League I'd go block, due to a second skill being 2 heads for me. Also the horns/2heads/wrestle 2heads/dt/ss combo build for the gobbos is potent.
we are here in the "Tactics & Team Development Tournaments " sections, not in the league one.
there is very few tournament where you could build such combo on a gobbo (i saw once a gobbo with 5 skills at a tourney : was fun :lol: )