Newbie orcs in a bashy league

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

det
Rookie
Rookie

Newbie orcs in a bashy league

Post by det »

Hi there!
I'm playing in a short (15 game) very bashy league with my orcs. Must admit that I only had a demo before palying so all in all my blood bowl experience is of 4 matches total. I decided to go for the new GW minies and bought the orc box and 4 gobbos.
The idea behind it is "learn to play" rather than "win the league", still I need advice.

Still I'm 1/1/1, managed to put guard on a blitzer after the first game and now after the third I'm lucky enough to not have ever needed to use my apotechary.

My Cockerel at the moment is a bit number heavy maybe, but I guess it was just luck that no one died so far.

I have:
2 BoB (1 with 5ssp), 2 blitzers (one with guard),
5 lineorcs (one with block), 1 thrower (5ssp), 3 gobbos, 2 FF

Question is...I have exaclty 110k in my treasury...should I grab the troll or wait a bit?
Going against an experienced player running a human team with a block/guard ogre and around 300k more TV.

The idea is to get the troll so I can try all those strange TTM shenanigans, maybe getting a TD or killing a gobbo...and of course to strengthen my LoS.
Otherwise I'd get one or two FF points since the human has 7FF, and leave the rest banked for later.
I still have one thrower to hire to, just in case.

Skill progression is going to be farily standard, with guard/block on BoBs, block/DP on lineorcs, guard/strip ball/tackle/MB on blitzers, leader/KoR on thrower, sneaky git on a gobbo if he ever skills up, would like one player with kick etc.

thanks!!

Reason: ''
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Re: Newbie orcs in a bashy

Post by frogboy »

So this is the order to do it...

1. Buy another Blitzer (keep buying them until you have 4)
2. Repeat step 1 but for Black Orcs
3. Buy a troll

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
det
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Newbie orcs in a bashy league

Post by det »

I guessed so... but I don't have blitzer/bobs models atm...:(
The troll on the other hand should turn up in my FLGS today ;)

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

det wrote:I guessed so... but I don't have blitzer/bobs models atm...:(
The troll on the other hand should turn up in my FLGS today ;)
Ha, so get a Troll then :lol:

You can have fun throwing the goblins at stuff :orc:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

The only 2 teams that are complete from GW are Dwarves and Skaven. Orcs are not really competetive or even bashy at the moment. It is a pity GW is not able to finalize earlier released teams sooner. Humans and Orcs are now 1 year old without booster packs to fill out positions. Even Goblins got more care.

det
Rookie
Rookie

Post by det »

I know...hope they release the booster pack soon...argh.
I go for orher brands for other teams...willy miniatures vampires look sweet, but I need a bit morr experience to field them...;)

stowelly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stowelly »

for the price of the troll you can buy another set of orcs to complete the remaining positionals...... failing that, people in your league may accept you using a lineman as a blitzer if you clearly mark it as such... loom bands maybe?

swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

Sounds like the availability of models is the determinate here...but if it wasn't I suggest prioritizing buying BOBs over blitzers.

BOBs take a lot longer to skill up...and get better with skills faster then blitzers for the most part. Blitzers are better out of the box, so if you were focused on winning right now though...they would be the choice.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

In your situation, I'd get the troll. He'll add stability. If you are short of BOBs (bearing in mind the blitzers are the most important, especially in a short league) look on ebay for warhammer 4th edition black orc plastics. You should be able to pick some up at prices that are almost free.

Just had a look and I'm wrong. They're ridiculously priced. Oh well.

det
Rookie
Rookie

Post by det »

Went for the troll...

now the question is...how to skill the team.

right now I'm at:

Lineorc
Lineorc
Lineorc
Lineorc
Lineorc block
Goblin
Goblin
Goblin
Thrower 5spp
BoB
BoB 5ssp
Blitzer
Blitzer guard
Troll

The plan in to treat lineorcs and gobbos as expendable, so I'll fool often etc since even if one dies or MNG I have a long bench.

I think I'll give the thrower either leader or kick off return...but maybe turning him into a ball carrier would be better?
BoB will go for guard probably...I think it's better than block as it complements the LoS better, although doing this it might take longer to skill and it would work as sideline roadblock...uhm...

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Don't go guard on the Black Orc. It'll be so long before he can get block, and guard won't really help him get there any more quickly either. Personally, I'd never go anything bar block (unless a double or a stat) on a bob, but Mighty blow is a good argument due to speeding you up to the 2nd skill.

Skilling AG3 throwers isn't that great. They don't really have anywhere to go. If he's a ball handler; block and tackle are the best shouts. However blitzers are MA6. You'll be continually handicapped if you only have 2.

Very little point putting gobbos on the lol unless a last turn. Orcs tend to stay on the field, gobbos do not.

det
Rookie
Rookie

Post by det »

for throwers utility skills like kick, leader or kick off return? And use him to retrieve the ball and give it to a blitzer?

I'll eventually grab full blitzers and black orcs...when I have some new models.

block over guard for BoB...uhm...but with the D3 MVP it might actually be quicker to get them up, no?

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Handing off as a plan requires an extra dice roll. The more dice you roll the more often you will fail. With only 2 blitzers right now, you may be forced into using him as a ball carrier. In which case block and tackle will be better than kor.

Yeah I haven't played this new MVP rule, it might make it quicker. However I'd still take block first on any of these vanilla style block players.

det
Rookie
Rookie

Post by det »

So after some games the team has seen some skill increase, both in the coach (me) and in the players.

Right now I'm at:

Lineorc (2ssp)
Lineorc
Lineroc
Lineorc
Lineroc: block, -1AV (10ssp)
Gobbo
Gobbo (2ssp)
Gobbo: catch (8ssp)
thrower (2ssp)
Black orc: block (7ssp)
Black orc: block (7ssp)
blitzer: guard, stand firm (16ssp)
blitzer: mighty blow, dodge (18ssp)
troll: guard (7ssp)

Had an AG4 thrower why got -1ST or -1Mov...fired him as I already struggle with basic game mechanics and having an "elvish-orc" would have been too much to keep track of, and to keep TV lowerish.

I rolled double 5 on the blitzer skill up and ended up going for dodge...I was really considering also jump up or the increase in Mov, but wanted to try the infamous blodge combination I hear always around forum/etc...jump up could be the next double if he lives long enough!

Coaching...I'm understanding the blocking/interdiction game fairly well (for my noobishness) but I do struggle in offence, mainly because I still can't plan ahead all the "if this won't work where will I be", but getting there.

The -AV lineorc will continue his line duty until nature calls and I'm continuosly trying to sacrifice a gobbo to lower TV and to see how annoying it can be...and well, end result is that they are skilling up! Whatever, nice little buggers.

In offence I field thrower and catch gobbo, trying to move a up a bit on the side while having gobbo with a helper going more or less ont he other side, which works out a bit...not against skilled chaos with really great coach...on defence I play the other two gobbos...nice to have stunty/dodge assists than really frustrate the opponent when they fail to kill them.

Long term plan is to drop two gobbos and two lineorcs to get two black orcs and 2 blitzers, but we'll see when/how/if really.

Ullis
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Ullis »

I think you would do best if you pretend that the only skills available for an orc team are the following:

Block
Guard
Mighty Blow
Dirty Player (only available for lineorcs)
Tackle
+MA (only for blitzers)
+ST (not for goblins)
+AG (only for blitzers and throwers)

When you have either a blitzer or a black orc who has Block, Guard and MB, that player unlocks extra skills which are Stand Firm and Frenzy.

I'm not saying that taking Dodge was wrong but the lure of all the skills in the rulebook for beginner coaches (and many experienced ones too...) is sometimes too great and many of the skills are suboptimal compared to some of the others. Dodge is also a great skill but an orc blitzer (especially as you only have two) will benefit a lot more from the other skills on that list.