Brettonia for 12 game league + playoffs

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Re: Brettonia for 12 game league + playoffs

Post by Smeborg »

Thanks, Martin, enjoyed it.

Reason: ''
Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

El_Jairo - thanks for your suggestion to kick if I won the toss. I followed your suggestion, it seemed to work rather well (see Team Blog thread).

Only 1 game, though.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

Smeborg wrote:El_Jairo - thanks for your suggestion to kick if I won the toss. I followed your suggestion, it seemed to work rather well (see Team Blog thread).

Only 1 game, though.

All the best.
I am happy it worked for me.
The second season with my Brets, I haven't been able to make this kind of play, since I lost the toss in my three matches so far.

And of course the Orcs decided to receive first and KO's two peasants straight of the bat...

I haven't lost though! Nor have I won...

PS: could you be so kind to link to your Team Blog? It's always nice to read up on fellow coaches. I didn't find it on the previous page,...

El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

I might as well aks the question here, instead of making a new Bret thread.

In my current season, things aren't so bright on the income and injuries side and results are lacking too.

I had to cut severely in my champions squad (because they needed to start at 120k TV for this season) who had bonkers skill rolls on the knights.

Let me present the team to you:

Knights:
#1 Tackle + new skill
#2 Dodge, +MA, Sure Hands
#3 MB
#4 Dodge, +ST

Yeoman:
#5,#8 rookie
#6 guard
#7 Dodge, niggle

Peasants:
two rookies and a journeyman.

2 TRR and apoth and 3FF

I was hoping to get Leader on Knight #1 ASAP but he skilled up before the MB one just before my last game vs Skaven and my current game vs Dark Elves.

My question to you is: is Dodge better on my tackler, than smacking Leader on him? Dodge seems better to protect my only tackle so far. MB man and my ball hog are just 1 SPP away from a new skill, BTW.

He does seem like the prime candidate for leader, as all the other knights have a niche picked out: Ball Hog (next Side Step), Bruiser (Tackle and Dodge next), Giant hunter (I would like SS on him next).

After three draws, I am desperately in need for win in my last two regular games to make it into the play-offs. After Dark Elves (current leader) I face Slann (current last spot). So I come to my fellow Bret coaches for your experience vs Dark Elves. Do you need the third TRR more than Dodge on your tackler?

So far I have had 2 games where 2 TRR worked out but my last game 2 TRR felt really few (vs Skaven).

From my experience with Dark Elves, your opponent having Tackle is one of the top priorities. If I add Leader, he is even more of a target, so Dodge seems the most sensible thing to do, I will have 4x Dodge and Sure Hands on the team for Re-rolls on those crucial plays.

On another side-note: I find myself loving/hating the 3+ dodges for blitzes with dodge. Sometimes it seems to work almost every time and other times it fails three turns in a row.
How do you handle these situations? Avoid 3+ dodges at all costs, prefer making blocks on the opposing ball carrier, which makes it easier for them to score, or go all in on the blitz to push the Bc into a bad position?

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Hi El_Jairo -

See my team blog in the Team Blogs section (Knights of the Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune) for how I now think the Bret team should be developed.

I now incline against M-Blow as doubles skill on the Knights (Guard may well be better). Probably Frenzy is more effective than M-Blow (yet to be play tested).

I incline towards Leader as first normal skill on the first Knight to skill up. Sure Hands on the second Knight to skill up normally.

I think Dodge is a great doubles skill on the Yeomen. They are the Blitzers against AG teams, after all.

On a team that starts with Wrestle, I don't think anybody needs early Tackle. I have played league and tournament teams with plentiful Wrestle and no Tackle, with good results (sometimes excellent results).

Overall, I think the main problem of Bret development is that it gets over-complicated. That's why I now proposed ruthless simplicity in the plan (see Team Blog thread). However, that does not mean you should not take doubles and stat increases when on offer. Some should probably be declined, though (e.g. 6+4 on a Yeoman?).

Hope that helps. Good luck, and keep posting.

Smeborg the Fleshless