Rookie Chaos Dwarf Season - 12games + Playoffs

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

LJCA
Experienced
Experienced

Rookie Chaos Dwarf Season - 12games + Playoffs

Post by LJCA »

Just about to start only my 4th ever Bloodbowl season, this time im coaching the Chaos Dwarfs - Hashuts Chosen Texans, (I like to have an NFL theme going) after previous experiences with Orcs and HElves.

Ive done a little research on Chorfs, asked a question or two about competitive lists and (whilst taking on-board peoples helpful suggestions and opinions) ive plumped for the following roster.

1. Chaos-Dwarf 4-3-2-9 (Block, Tackle, Thick-skull)
2. Chaos-Dwarf 4-3-2-9 (Block, Tackle, Thick-skull)
3. Chaos-Dwarf 4-3-2-9 (Block, Tackle, Thick-skull)
4. Chaos-Dwarf 4-3-2-9 (Block, Tackle, Thick-skull)
5. Chaos-Dwarf 4-3-2-9 (Block, Tackle, Thick-skull)
6. Chaos-Dwarf 4-3-2-9 (Block, Tackle, Thick-skull)
7. Hobgoblin 6-3-3-7
8. Hobgoblin 6-3-3-7
9. Hobgoblin 6-3-3-7
10. Bull-Centaur 6-4-2-9 (Sprint, Sure-feet, Thick-skull)
11. Bull-Centaur 6-4-2-9 (Sprint, Sure-feet, Thick-skull)

2x Rerolls

1x Apothcary

990k.

We're going full DZ2 this season (whether that's a good thing only time will tell) so im hoping that with a sponsorship or two I can quickly gain enough gold to buy either the 3rd Reroll OR the Minotaur, see how it goes.

One thing id appreciate any further thoughts on is how best to skill up the roster, Guard-MB-Claw are all solid choices (I think) for the Chorfs, Sure Hands-Dirty Player-Sneaky Git-wrestle are ideas ive had for the Hobbos , whilst the Bulls look like getting Block-Break-tackle-dodge-catch.

Obvs any stat increases would be a bonus in certain areas but is there anything obvious ive missed?

Appreciate your thoughts,

Cheers!

Reason: ''
kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Rookie Chaos Dwarf Season - 12games + Playoffs

Post by kyrre »

I think 3 rerolls is a good idea to start out with due to dwarf agility 2 and no block on the hobgoblins. You can have a 12 man squad with three rerolls on 40,000 gold by dropping the apothecary and a bull centaur for 2 hobgoblins and a reroll. The gold can be used to buy an apothecary after game 1.

The first bull centaur should get break tackle first, then block. Without it, they are more like expensive black orcs. If you are unlucky to throw doubles or stat up you should cry and accept your faith. Dodge and +MA will be useful in the long term. I would probably take side step over catch if you get a second double.

On the second bull centaur, I would get block before break tackle. Without block the bull centaur is more like a very very expensive and tough, goblin. (Ok, dumb comparison aside, the bull centaurs need both skills).

I would go 4x guard on the blockers before thinking about taking mighty blow as a first skill. Guard is pretty good. Claw is a fine choice on doubles.

A kicker hobgoblin is nice. A short kick and 2 break tackle bull centaurs give you the opportunity to steal the ball if you roll blitz on the kickoff. Don't bother with sneaky git.

LJCA
Experienced
Experienced

Post by LJCA »

kyrre wrote:I think 3 rerolls is a good idea to start out with due to dwarf agility 2 and no block on the hobgoblins. You can have a 12 man squad with three rerolls on 40,000 gold by dropping the apothecary and a bull centaur for 2 hobgoblins and a reroll. The gold can be used to buy an apothecary after game 1.
The roster ive put up is the starting XI ive painted so for better or worse that's my team lol, though your thoughts go along with most of the suggestions ive had about Chorf line ups, just thought this one was the line up for me.

LJCA
Experienced
Experienced

Post by LJCA »

kyrre wrote:The first bull centaur should get break tackle first, then block. Without it, they are more like expensive black orcs. If you are unlucky to throw doubles or stat up you should cry and accept your faith. Dodge and +MA will be useful in the long term. I would probably take side step over catch if you get a second double.

On the second bull centaur, I would get block before break tackle. Without block the bull centaur is more like a very very expensive and tough, goblin. (Ok, dumb comparison aside, the bull centaurs need both skills).

I would go 4x guard on the blockers before thinking about taking mighty blow as a first skill. Guard is pretty good. Claw is a fine choice on doubles.

A kicker hobgoblin is nice. A short kick and 2 break tackle bull centaurs give you the opportunity to steal the ball if you roll blitz on the kickoff. Don't bother with sneaky git.

Most of my ideas mirror your own here so im glad im not too far off track.

The Chorfs i see on the LOS taking/giving hits, so yeah Guard aplenty will help there, a dash of MB always help reduce opposition numbers, plus helps to get to the second skill quickly.

My Bulls seem great at a glance, but without Block theyre a little exposed, but yeah i agree about Break-tackle being needed too. Catch (on one at least) was an idea (for a double obvs) if im wanting to feed them the ball from the Hobbos, i know a 4+ but my dice don't account for that haha.

The Hobbos are going to be my ball carriers early on in the season, only AG3 ive got. Always wanted a Dirty Player/ Sneaky Git player, just for fun really, so ill try and fit that in hopefully, but yeah Kick wasn't something id thought of tbh, could be useful as you say. Ive seen people mention leader on a Hobbo to help with low RR counts, though a Hobbo 'leader' on a Chorf team? surely not?....

Cheers tho Kyrre, appreciate the input.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

LJCA - I have played CDs quite a bit. Here are some thoughts:

My preferred starting roster is:

1 Bull
6 CDs
6 HGs
3 RRs

With 13 players, you have a chance of doing well in the first 2 or 3 games. If you start with 11, you may find yourself at a numbers disadvantage, as Hobgoblins fly into the dugout.

My preferred first skill on the CDs is Mighty Blow. After this they become "auto-skilling".

My preferred skill path on the Bulls is: Break Tackle, Sure Hands, Block (Dodge on doubles). The Bulls are much better ball carriers than the Hobgoblins, so I build them for this role.

I tried Wrestle on the Hobgoblins, but considered it a failure. Block is fine as first skill for them.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Post by kyrre »

LJCA wrote: My Bulls seem great at a glance, but without Block theyre a little exposed, but yeah i agree about Break-tackle being needed too. Catch (on one at least) was an idea (for a double obvs) if im wanting to feed them the ball from the Hobbos, i know a 4+ but my dice don't account for that haha.

Bull centaurs are great, some of the best players in the game. However, starting out, a lowly zombie or even a snotling is enough to immobilize them, leaving you with hobgoblins to do important blitzes. So 1 starting with block, the other start with break tackle. If your first bull centaur manages to get block AND break tackle before the next one level, then you go with block on the second bull centaur first. Block is the superior skill.

I have a bull centaur who's first level up was a double, the second +movement. I took block for the third level up. The wait for break tackle on that guy was agonizing. Now he has ended up scoring half my touchdowns. Many on defense.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

For me, B-Tackle is by far the most important skill on Bull Centaurs.

They are ST4 players that can move 9 squares with ease on an otherwise slow team. Without B-Tackle they are glorified Black Orcs.

Smeborg the Fleshless
LJCA
Experienced
Experienced

Post by LJCA »

Smeborg wrote:LJCA - I have played CDs quite a bit. Here are some thoughts:

My preferred first skill on the CDs is Mighty Blow. After this they become "auto-skilling".

My preferred skill path on the Bulls is: Break Tackle, Sure Hands, Block (Dodge on doubles). The Bulls are much better ball carriers than the Hobgoblins, so I build them for this role.

I tried Wrestle on the Hobgoblins, but considered it a failure. Block is fine as first skill for them.

Hope that helps.
Ive plumped for 'sure hands' for my first Hobbo level up, with only 2 RRs I think that's wise (if not exciting).

Block - Break Tackle - Sure Hands does seem the way to go with the Bulls.

Cheers for the help!