Do I take +MV on a Norse lineman?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Do I take +MV on a Norse lineman?

Post by Christy42 »

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=898783

I have a 6+4 skill up on a Norse lineman. My gut is that I should ignore it and go for dirty player? I could have a second tackle which would be handy against the goblins I am playing next but since I am planning on staying in the league a while dirty player might be better long term.

As an aside I take I get back up to 2 Ulfwereners before thinking about a snow troll. Should I ever think about the troll?

Reason: ''
Barney the Lurker
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Do I take +MV on a Norse lineman?

Post by Barney the Lurker »

I think I'd take the +mv. One of Norse's downside is their general lack of movement so mv7 can be pretty great.

Also, there is not that many great skill picks for Norse Linemen as they already come with block.

I'd take the Mv7, aim for tackle next and use him as a bit of a sweeper in the back field.

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

See, I'd go the opposite way and say ignore it! :lol: +MV on a Lineman is not as useful as anything that could keep him on the pitch, or the opposition off it.

I'd look at Fend, Tackle, Dirty Player, possibly Kick or Sure Hands, before I'd worry about the additional movement (and associated TV). I'd also consider binning off the -AG Berzerker. Guard is great, but AG2 makes getting it where you want difficult and Jump Up less reliable. You've got the treasury to be able to replace him, which I'm very jealous of! My Norse FUMBBL team currently has plenty of walking wounded and zero cash in the bank!

I've played Norse in our tabletop league this season and at most of the tournaments I've attended this year, ahead of taking them to the NAFC this weekend. I wasn't really fussed about the Yhetee to start with. His relatively low AV and Block-less Frenzy just mean he's a bit of a turnover liability. However, I'm reluctantly starting to see that he's probably key if you want to stand a chance at removing more players than you lose, particularly once he gets Mighty Blow. You just need to control the urge to send him wading into the scrum as he's likely to get isolated and picked off. An added bonus for me, the Disturbing Presence has actually come in handy on more than one occasion.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

I need to buy back the Ulfwerener before I can get rid of the Blitzer! I would prefer a guard blitzer and 2 Ulfwereners over a healthy blitzer and only 1 Ulfwerener.

Having said that I need to work on using Jump Up anyway. Not sure I have used it for many blocks as I tend to be worried it won't come off and I will have wasted time positioning players. Means I have probably missed some golden opportunities though as for the moment it is just a movement boost.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

How do you feel about Runners? If you carry with a Runner, ignore the 10 in favor of either DP or Tackle. If you don't, take +MA.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

mattgslater wrote:How do you feel about Runners? If you carry with a Runner, ignore the 10 in favor of either DP or Tackle. If you don't, take +MA.

Mixed. I normally have one back to receive but also some linemen. Whoever ends up closer gets it normally. Granted my blodge runner will probably get most pick ups now so maybe it should be another tackle.

Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

Thanks for all the advice. In the end I went with tackle. He caused two casualties against my goblin opponents as well.

Got another skill up on a lineman and was all set to go for dirty player until I got a doubles so I will probably take guard:):). (Probably for the best, I had two fouls against goblins and got ejected for both and I was sent to the stands - the refs obviously hate my team).