Using the Apothecary

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Athanatos
Rookie
Rookie

Using the Apothecary

Post by Athanatos »

When do you use your Apothecary?
Do you use it early if you get a BH or wait for a more serious injury?

As effectively a noob in my first league I haven’t used my Apothecary in my last three games despite having 2-3 players each game in the Cas box ( mere MNG, no niggles or worse)

I think my second or third game influenced me as in a late turn I had 2 deaths ( rookie Lino and MA Runner) as well as a -1S Blitzer haveing used the Apothecary earlier on a MNG on a Witch.

Reason: ''
mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Using the Apothecary

Post by mawph »

In a league, you're pretty much torn between returning a BH player to the dugout, or saving for a scary injury to a more important player. I can understand your not using the Apoth, as if a player gets a straight MNG and they're not critical to the next match, they're actually ok. You're more worried about the current game and permanent damage to key players.

For tournaments, its a little easier. The use would be for bringing BH players back to the dugout, or keeping a KO player on the pitch at a critical point in time. In theory that might extend to returning a serious injury (or worse) to the dugout, if a critically skilled player, but that's bringing it down to a 50% chance of success only.

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Re: Using the Apothecary

Post by mattgslater »

How developed is my team? How much money do I have in treasury? How good is my opponent? What turn is it? But usually, in a league or other progression format, I save my main Apothecary for badness, 51+ on the Cas table, except maybe in a key game that I must win and think I need everything I got, then I would maybe use it on an early Badly Hurt or KO on a key player. In resurrection environments, I use it on early KOs or Badly Hurts, or just KOs if I still have it in the 2nd half (unless there's overtime). If I have Wandering Apothecaries, I tend to use them tactically, rather than strategically.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.