Lapsed Player Returns...Chaos Dwarfs in a League

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

jmw23
Experienced
Experienced

Lapsed Player Returns...Chaos Dwarfs in a League

Post by jmw23 »

I haven't played Blood Bowl in a few years, but when I saw some advertisements for a new league, I couldn't resist. My team:

6 Chaos Dwarf
1 Bull Centaur
4 Hobgoblins
4 Reroll

I'm facing:

9 Gobbos
1 Loony
1 Doom Diver
2 Trolls

I can't remember the last time I played against gobbos. I've read a little about stopping a 1TTD using Tackle to make things difficult. How often should I be worried about that, as opposed to setting up closer to the LOS to just bash the gobbos? Can someone recommend a few simple plays? I figure if I'm on offense, I want to set up on the LOS, with a hobgoblin and the Bull Centaur a bit back (I plan to us the Bull Centaur to carry the ball) to retrieve. If I'm on defense, I'm a little less sure how I should proceed. I know that Tackle on six players has to help against all that Dodge, but beyond that? Thanks gang!

Reason: ''
Jonathan
Ullis
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Starting League as Chaos Dwarfs First Match-Gobbos!

Post by Ullis »

You have a clear advantage going into the match with all the Tackle.

Mark goblins with Tackle dwarves and separate the goblins from the trolls to make activating them harder. Plus always use your blitz to hit a gobbo with a dwarf. Watch SPP's pour in and goblins get carted off the pitch.

You really shouldn't worry about a 1 turn TD attempt from goblins. Throwing a ball carrying goblin is hard and more likely to result in a dead gobbo than a TD. Plus if he scores fast, then you have more time for your offense. If you set up and position to prevent a 1 turn TD, then your opponent will have an easier time with a more conventional running offence. You can keep a hobgoblin as a safety type player hanging a bit back from your main defense line.

jmw23
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Starting League as Chaos Dwarfs First Match-Gobbos!

Post by jmw23 »

I wanted to take a minute to thank you for your advice. I ended up going up against a LOS made up of two trolls and Ripper Bolgut, but my 9AV held firm and I won 2-0. I caused a number of casualties, though, sadly two were from fouls. Still, I managed to skill up a Dwarf, giving him Guard. With my winnings I purchased an apothecary, and now I can start saving up for that second Bull Centaur. My next round opponent is playing Humans, his roster is:

5 Linemen
1 Ogre
2 Catcher
2 Thrower
2 Blitzer
2 re-rolls
apothecary

It feels like a weird line up to me, but it's been a while, so maybe things have changed. Anyway, if anyone wants to chime in with advice, feel free! Would I be smart to hide my Guard Dwarf on Defense by keeping him off the LOS?

Jonathan
besters

Re: Lapsed Player Returns...Chaos Dwarfs in a League

Post by besters »

No, you are right, unusual to see Humans without four blitzers. I would have dropped thrower, catcher and apothecary to fit them in.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

It looks unusual but it looks like a starter box set.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
besters

Post by besters »

lunchmoney wrote:It looks unusual but it looks like a starter box set.
Agreed, that could well be it.

jmw23
Experienced
Experienced

Post by jmw23 »

Update: Tied me game against the humans 1-1. I felt a little hard-done by the dice, as he threw block after block with linemen and the Ogre, all lacking the Block skill, and turned over not a single time the whole game. Still, that's Blood Bowl sometimes, I guess, and I did manage to skill up another Dwarf and my Centaur, giving them Guard and Block respectively. I rolled a 1 for my winnings, and even with a Fame bonus only made 30K. It will be a while before I can afford that second Centaur. Next match is Lizard Men!

Jonathan