Help! Tourney time vs Amazons.

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Pogo
Rookie
Rookie

Help! Tourney time vs Amazons.

Post by Pogo »

I probably will have to play against the following Amazon team in the near future.

Blitzer Dodge, Block, Guard, Piling On
Blitzer Dodge, Block, Guard
Blitzer Dodge, Block, Guard, Mighty Blow, Tackle
Blitzer Dodge, Block, Mighty Blow, Guard, Stand Firm
Catcher Dodge, Catch, Jump Up, Block, Side Step
Catcher Dodge, Catch, Side Step
Linewoman Dodge, Block, Pass Block
Thrower Dodge, Pass
Linewoman Dodge, Block, Strip Ball
Linewoman Dodge, Dirty Player
Thrower Dodge, Pass, Sure Hands, Nerves of Steel
3 x Linewoman Dodge
2 x Linewoman Dodge, Block

Right now, i play this team, the orginal Necromatic team from BB 3

Ghoul Dodge, Block
Wight Regenerate, Block, Strip Ball, Kick
Werewolf Frenzy, Razor Sharp Fangs, Catch, Dodge, +Ag
Zombie Regenerate, Dirty Player
Zombie Regenerate, +1 St
Zombie Regenerate, Dirty Player
Zombie Regenerate, Block, Tackle
Zombie Regenerate, Block
Ghoul Dodge
Flesh Golem Stand Firm, Break Tackle, Thick Skull, Block
Flesh Golem Stand Firm, Break Tackle, Thick Skull, Block, Guard
Wight Regenerate, Block, Tackle, Pro
Wight Regenerate, Block, Tackle, Sure Hands
Ghoul Dodge, +1MA Fractured Skull,-1AV, Niggled, Niggled
Wight Regenerate, Block, Tackle, Strip Ball

I played him recently, to a 2-1 loss. I recieved at first, and got through for a score with my wolf. He responded with a drive down my sidelines, and scored.

Second half, he once more drove down the sidelines with most of his team (I know, i know, i plan on putting my flesh golems and others there next time), and set up a corner cage with his stand firm girl and a couple of guards, and i could hit them around, but not break through. He stayed there for a few turns, and then scored, and i couldn't reply in the two turns i had left.

Any ideas how to beat this team?

Reason: ''
zeroalpha
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zeroalpha »

A normal suggestion would be to hit the amazons as with only armor 7 and your large numbers of players with block you should be able knock out or injure a number of them, especially with undead/Necromatic. However your opposition has a full 16 players so it may be hard to do successfully.
This appears to be a rather advanced amazon team and has a great distribution of skills, and with all four blitzers having guard trying to hit them out of the game will be rather difficult. You could try the dirty approach using your two zombies with dirty player.
I certainly wouldn't like to face that kind of amazon team, they look rather nasty

Cervidal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Cervidal »

They ARE the number one team in the league he's in.

Do what he said, kill as many of 'em as possible. Soften 'em up for the next guy!

I take it you're also assuming you're making it to the second round, eh? Scott is playing a pretty advanced Dwarf team in the first round, so it's possible he might be pretty banged up when he comes to you.

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Make it a priority to use your tacklers to take out the blitzers and whack any of them that don't have block. Hopefully Av7 will crumble enough that you can develop a good numerical superiority. Don't be afraid to foul the key players (Blitzers!). Try to use the Werewolf against where you can follow up and still get a 2 dice block. RSF will make a nasty mess of 'zons if you can put them down.

If you get the choice kick short and try to make them score quickly. Then try to score yourself at the end of the 1st half and take the whole 2nd half over getting a winner. +ST zombie should be used as a corner man on the cage.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Asmodan
Legend
Legend

Post by Asmodan »

Do as Ian said, block with your tacklers and foul those blitzers out of the game!
Thats about the only chance you got.
Also try to use your tacklers to stop him from dodging away or around you all the time.

Asmodan

Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

I'd also make hitting the throwers a priority. They're the only ones on his team with sure hands, and taking one of them out would let your Kick skill be more effective, as it will take him longer to get upfield. Kick deep and try to keep him from getting safe.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
aristodeimos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aristodeimos »

So did you win or lose this game?

As an avid player of Amazons (Twisted Sisters)...the key is (was) your three players with Tackle. You have to maximize their use. Have the discipline to only blitz with them...

...and yes, Skummy is correct. Take down my Throwers and the grrls find it real hard to consistently pick the ball up.

The other skill that drives every amazon coach crazy is Diving Tackle.

Pogo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pogo »

I haven't actually played him yet. The tourny format changed, and i'll face him later on if i get that far. I got a skaven team in my way, and the only ones that have ever defeated him are these amazons! Thankfully, someone SIed his star gutter runner, so i have a chance of getting past him.

As for the amazons, i hope to be able to hire Count Drakenborg, and use his hypo gaze to break his defensive formation, so i can blitz in with a tackler. Also on defense, he likes running up the sides, so my stand firm flesh golems will be on each side to prevent him from getting a hole through.

For offense, i'm hoping to either frenzy an amazon off the pitch, or use him on the line to hopefully take one out with RSF. My blitz will be used on his piling on blitzer, and if she goes down but not out, a DP will run up and hit her. Hopefully i can get an on the pitch number advantage, and play to that. I think i need to remove his blitzers first before his throwers. He has way too many rerolls (7) for him to really need sure hands, and he plays a very violent, smash up style of play, so if i can take out his blitzers, maybe that could give him trouble.

Pogo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pogo »

Ok, actually got around to playing him. And i decided to play dirty and hire Count Drakenborg. And I won! Drakenborg was essential to my victory, broke up his offensive, and acted as the ball handler he couldn't take down while he was in my cage. Thanks to everyone for all the tactical advice. It was really useful.

Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

First of all, congratulations on the win!

Secondly, this points out a problem I've got with the game when you introduce Star Players into the environment. For many teams, you need a Dauntless/Tackle player to reliably take down Count Luthor or Griff Oberwald. If you don't have that combination, things can really get tough.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
Pogo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pogo »

Actually, he would have been just fine with Tackle, but his tackler was missing the game. More than once when he threw a block at Luthor, i had to chose the dodge down result.

And i disagree that you need a dauntless guy. I think you only need three things to deal with these guys. 1. A shot at the guy. 2. Strip ball, a general skill almost everyone can get. 3. A reroll. Throw the block, hope it forces the ball out, and if you end up going down, reroll it.

Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

That's a very good point. Strip Ball's a devalued skill in my league. I'll have to bear that in mind for my Skaven team.