Rat Ogres - Are they worth it?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Pantera
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Pantera »

I personally think that before the rule change, Rat Ogres was among the best BG. Now they are perhaps the worst. Even Treemen is better, ok they may not show up the first half. But they wont cause as many turnovers. Ok, you can use the Rat Ogre defensivly. But I think that is not what they should be used. They are BIG, they are WILD... and they play in the backfield?!

In my current league we run with official RR2001 rules. And I play a Skaven team with a Rat Ogre. He has done one CAS, and got himself a SI with -1 MA (phew, could have been worse). And he has been the source of many turnovers, which of course always comes as the first thing you do in your turn (skulls/doubleskulls on block). With a RA turnover, the opposing team gets to do two turns in a row, which plainly sucks.

The Minotaur has the advantage of Horns, but if you don't play him defensivly he won't get much use of it. So Minotaurs suck pretty much to.

Reason: ''
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

I disagree completely, ro's have ag 3 and therefore can handle the ball, especially if u give him big hand. I would love a block, big hand, break tackle ro. I think it is feasible with a net (of players) around him the first few td's.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Pantera
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Pantera »

sean newboy wrote:I disagree completely, ro's have ag 3 and therefore can handle the ball, especially if u give him big hand. I would love a block, big hand, break tackle ro. I think it is feasible with a net (of players) around him the first few td's.
Noway would I give the ball to a WA RO.

The opponent then will get to plan how you play next round. A good opponent will position himself so that (depending on if he cannot strip the ball or down the RO in his round) the RO will get the worst possible block/blitz route. No TRR either so trying to pickup the ball (or catching it) with the RO is always going to fail in 1 out of 3 cases (maybe a experienced RO can have Pro).

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

As long as the RO is surrounded by a decent loose cage, then aftrer the first turn you should be able to tell whether the cage is going to hold. If not hand off to a Thrower or Gr and run an alternative play.

Pantera
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Pantera »

If there is a touchback, it could be an option to score with the RO. But as the new rules almost forces a defensive play with the RO, you wont have him close the line of scrimmage. Which means more turns before reaching the endzone, and many possibilities for the opponent to use the WA against you.

Before the rules where changed, I had a RO who had done several goals. He did in fact have three skills, which at that time needed 51+ SPP (if i remember correctly) for a Big Guy.