The Fouling Game

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Trambi
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Trambi »

First, fooling is a part of BB, but i don't use it with most of my teams.
IGMEOY is a simple,good rule but not perfect.
Penalty roll for using dirty player seems a good idea but we have to test it.
The main pb of BB is to find a balanced game between brutal teams (orc, chaos, ...) and agility team (elves, skaven ...). And the efficenty of fouling game is one the key point of this pb.

We can also talk about the fact that all injuries prevent your player from playing for only 1 match (and not a D3, D6 ... matches like in 2nd ed).

Reason: ''
Ogres are the only true Blood Bowl players !
Ogrewomen are the only true BB Cheerleaders !
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

sorry, i forgot we use Sigurd's of course.

for Norse:
i dont foul exept with gobbo Chaos,skav and Orc but when i foul this is 'one necessary' foul, so not vicious.
i have played a beardie Orc Team to show to other beardies how it is to be destroy...and i succed in it but i dont like and i am fed with this one. i only play it against Beardies ones to show how this is ridiculus and not a 'good' play.

I prefer Elf style so i dont foul and i play the ball!!!
Of course most of us play 'gentle' but we cant convert everybody to this...
So my proposal tend to be a beetwen solution:
Not strong for fouling but not too strong against.
the idea of NI roll for DP sounds like Secret Weapon roll.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

Interesting Marcus, about the ref ALWAYS watching persistent foulers no matter what else. I like the idea, but I think the practice would be nearly impossible..

I'm with you totally, there is nothing wrong with present fouling rules. It took me a while to get used to that, but I am in unreserved agreement that BB is a better game because of it.

My suggestions about how to handle persistent foulers is simply an alternative because a few people here (you Frenchies know who you are :wink: ) are keen to make fouling a bit more 'powerful' than it presently is, or at least a bit more interesting..

I like the present rules, but if Chet's Sneaky Player rule hits the game (he is on the BBRC after all!) then I would like some way of limiting it, and I think a "roll to see if he is banned" roll would work well for that. Keep in mind it does not have to be that he has been banned for on the pitch activity, but possibly for unsuitable conduct in public (Bowyer, Gascoigne,) or even in the tunnels (Vierra, Henry, any other French thug... :wink: )..

That was my idea..

PS I'll be in France later this month, please be nice to me... :lol:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

On 2002-04-04 13:26, Marcus wrote:
One suggestion for Norse's idea tho - how about players who have been caught fouling in the previous game automatically count as always having the ref's eye on them; regardless of where the counter is.
Starting to go around in circles here! :smile: Why strengthen fouling and then bring in more rules to weaken it again?
One problem with the above suggestion is keeping tabs on the relevent players. Personally I like to see the game 'on-field' as pure and hassle free as possible (which is another cause of celebration for the demise of cards IMO, but I digress).
Back on subject, assuming your opponent is playing 'hold the counter', you should still get in at least 2 fouls per game with a DP.
Use them tactically, and make as certain as you can that the +2 goes on the injury by use of assists. Any more than 2 is still only a 50/50, so you can easily use a DP for a 2nd (or more) foul towards the end of a half assuming playing a turn or two with 10 isn't going to hurt you too badly (or there's about to be a score) and you've got the reserves to put out 11 even with a sending off.
Those that like to foul can simply swap the counter every turn and chance the roll of 6! :wink:
I really think the rules are fine as they stand, which seems to be the general consensus (excepting our French friends, who after all, are still playing 3e and are naturally contrary as a nation! :wink: ).

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I'm at work so I haven't really had time to think this through properly, but if you want to stop the "Eye sitting" tactic how about this little modification to IGMEOY:

The IGMEOY counter is placed on the team tracker of the team who committed the foul.
Roll a d6, halve the result, rounding up. Add 2 if the player committing the foul was caught. This is the number of turns the fouler will have the ref's eye on him, before the ref forgets the infraction and his attention drifts back to the game.
Place the IGMEOY counter on the NEXT turn, so that it will be displaced when the player's first turn without the eye comes around.
Note: the IGMEOY counter does NOT go back to neutral at half time.

Or something like that....

DaFrenchCoach
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaFrenchCoach »

On 2002-04-04 14:34, Norse wrote:
PS I'll be in France later this month, please be nice to me... :lol:
Sorry to talk about a thing that nothing to see with BB, but when will you come... and where ?

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

I arrive the last week in April for 10 days of wine buying, mostly in Alsace and Côte du Rhone. I would love to get a game of BB while en Francais, but, je regret, I will have my wife and mother with me, so I suspect my time may be already have been organised for me... :sad:

Deathwing, I'm with you. LEAVE FOULING ALONE!!! But, Chet suggested a new kill/trait. He's on the BBRC. It might happen, so think of solutions in case it does. Be Prepared as my scout leader would say if he'd been prepared for that nasty accident and was alive today... :wink:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
DaFrenchCoach
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaFrenchCoach »

On 2002-04-04 15:24, Norse wrote:
I arrive the last week in April for 10 days of wine buying, mostly in Alsace and Côte du Rhone. I would love to get a game of BB while en Francais, but, je regret, I will have my wife and mother with me, so I suspect my time may be already have been organised for me... :sad:
It doesn't mind. I live in Lyon... So if you wanna take some extra-time (even if I'm sure your mother and your wife are very kind), please dont hesitate to send me a pm... It could be only for taking a lunch, or drinking a beer... not necessarily for Blood Bowl.

I'm afraid I can't help you a lot on french wine...

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I think it was Neo who said on BBC something along the lines of floating ideas around/ contributing to discussions etc. doesn't necessarily indicate any kind of official BBRC/NAF position. An idea remains just that up until it gets published as 'experimental', at which point it may make official status.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

I'll just way in that I'm fine with the current fouling rules ... my Goblin team still uses it to the boot in and if I had a Snotling team, I'd still foul every turn.

Galak

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

i really like the idea of rolling a die for the duration of the eye... not so much because it strengthens or weakens any particular opinion on fouling, but rather just because it's the sort of arbitrary gamesmanship that keeps me happy on hot afternoons down here in the semi-tropics...

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

I'll be in Lyon on Monday the 29th April if that helps....

I like the present fouling rules too, they are balanced, fair, interesting and just a bit risky. I like them. Really.

I like BMWs too, but they could also be improved.....

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I like the rules too...
BUT I would like to see things move away from the "one foul in turn one then nothing for the rest of the half because the eye's on you" pattern.
Its a tweak rather than a new rule set really anyway.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

If you don't foul after getting the eye ... well you're not willing to take acceptable risk ... :wink:

Come on its a 50% chance that you won't get caught. I see people throw one dice blocks, make AG 3 Leaps, Dodges into one TZ, Short Pass with AG 3 and such ALL the time in a game.

You calculate the risks and go for it.

Galak

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

Come on its a 50% chance that you won't get caught. I see people throw one dice blocks, make AG 3 Leaps, Dodges into one TZ, Short Pass with AG 3 and such ALL the time in a game.
have you been watching my games again?