Goblin Coaches Ahoy!

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Goblin Coaches Ahoy!

Post by Marcus »

For our league's summer open-style season I'm starting up a goblin team and wanted to solicit some advice from seasoned gobbo coaches.

League is pretty much vanilla 2K1.

Starting Roster - The Putney Plummeters

2xOgres (I figure I'll be having enough trouble keeping the gobbos alive as it is without having to worry whether or not my star blockers are likely to snarfle them down with a mouthfull of bugmans best)

11xGobbos

4xRerolls

8xFanFactor

Went low on the gobbos, high on the fan factor/rerolls as I figure gobbos will be cheap enough to replace in the early games whereas I don't want to find myself hurting for rerolls.

Skill Progressions:

This is going to be interesting as getting doubles on a gobbo leads to so many wonderful opportunities. the last titchy team I coached was halflings and that was back in 3rd edition where I could not expect to see throw team mate at all and dauntless was de rigueur.

Standard skill rolls will probably include sidestep for the guys who'll get hit and skills such as jump up, diving catch, and catch for guys who'll be lobbed downfield. Diving tackle could also be useful for annoying the hell out of the opposition.

Doubles will be interesting as there is an absolute wealth of skills to look at:

Sure Hands
Block
Kick
Dirty Player
Hail Mary Pass

At the moment I'm leaning towards getting HMP for my first doubles roll, Kick for my second and DP for my 3rd. Block would be an option for any player who's already picked up sidestep.

The "style" I intend to play would involve a vast number of goblins being thrown haphazardly all over the pitch and then running around like headless chickens. I hope to confuse the opposition long enough to throw a ball in the direction of aforementioned poultry and hope I end up with some random convergence of ball, player and endzone.

Anyone have any experience with Gobbos. 2K1 specific advice would be most welcome.

Marcus

Reason: ''
Ancalagon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Maybe Norse can help you

Post by Ancalagon »

If I'm not wrong norse used snotlings, so maybe he knows some tricks...

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Marcus - Ogres still cost double for Halfling and Goblin teams, as per the Blood Bowl Handbook. I suggest you use a pair of Trolls and try this instead:

2 Trolls (200K)
12 Goblins (480K)
4 Re-rolls (240K)
8 Fan Factor (80K)

Good luck! You'll need it ;)

-Chet

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Aa sou desu ka. I knew there was a catch with Ogres.

Trolls it is then. Works for me actually cos my Orc team's troll looks quite good =)

Marcus

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

2 Troll (200)
1 Ogre (240)
9 gobs (360)
3 RR (180)
2 FF (20)

Or 1 gob less, 1 FF less and take an apo.

Double:

Leader is great too.

Tactic:
Run fast as you can.
Playing Gobbo learns you how to play more efficiently with Tacle Zone.
My tactic is:
when you have the ball=>run with some gobbo to protect the ball carrier(gobbo)
exeption to this: when you play against fastmoving or agil team, put the ball on the Ogre, i did it in semi-final against a Skaven team, and i won 2/1, 2 TD for my Ogre.

When you dont have the ball, put a pression on the ball carrier with some of your gobbo, put the Ogre Backfield

Troll will be ,most part of time ion center-field, but people always try to put them down, at 4/5 players against them so your gobbos are free.

1 tournament in won (12 players):
League
1lost against Dwarves (0/1)
2 Draws against Ogre and Orc (1/1 and 2/2)
2 Won on Human and Skaven (2/0 and 3/1)
Playoff:
a won2/1 against Skaven in semi
a won 2/1 against Orc in Final

and a won 3/0 against a Chaos in the new tournament

Tricks: Play Dirty a little, score if you can. When your opponent will see that you are leading, he will try to score and will forget about killing you most of the time.( 2 players killed only in my team)

always think: Where i am good (dodge,AG,foul,assist,putting tacle zones..) and play ball

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

2 FF?? Are you having a laugh? :o
Please remember that 2k1 specific advice was requested, surely nobody sane would dream of starting with 2 FF, not even under 3e. Do the maths.

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

yes 2FF!!!!!
that is a topic we already had.
it is more realistic and not so bad too play.
try it.
and it give you the opportunity to get 3 Big Guys...very usefull.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

2 Troll (200)
1 Ogre (240)
9 gobs (360)
3 RR (180)
2 FF (20)

Playing 2K1 here. So I can't take 3 big guys.

Leader is great too.

Unsure about that one. Seems a waste of a double when I can just buy them to keep my team rating down. It's not as if my players are pricey.

Run fast as you can.
Playing Gobbo learns you how to play more efficiently with Tacle Zone.

I had suspected as much, hence my Diving Tackle comment. I rate my positional play as pretty good so I might spring a few surprises yet.

when you play against fastmoving or agil team, put the ball on the Ogre.

Cute. I might have to give that one a try. Only problem is I won't have an ogre and will only have trolls - and they'll like as not eat the ball if I ever get it to them. Might look at some late season ogre-for-troll trades if I ever have spare cash (buahahahahahahahaaaaa)

Marcus

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

yes 2FF!!!!!
that is a topic we already had.
it is more realistic and not so bad too play.
try it.

I will say this once: You Can't Buy Fan Factor Once A League Has Started

I remain firmly in the high fan factor camp and will not be moved on that matter.

Marcus

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

High FF is a must, I always try to start with the max no matter what.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
Trambi

Post by Trambi »

Antony: :o Do you really think that a starting goblin team must have a FF of more than 2 ?
I answer the question but i already know the answer, he can't understand that statement. :x
It's simply unrealistic, beginning any team with FF more than 4, is unrealistic and beardy
Afterall a beginning team had not play a lot of match and can't be famous.

Except for ogre team ;)

I think there will a hotly debated issue ! :P

Ogres are the only true Blood Bowl players !
Ogrewomen are the only true BB Cheerleaders !
DaFrenchCoach
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaFrenchCoach »

Trambi wrote:Antony: :o Do you really think that a starting goblin team must have a FF of more than 2 ?

It's simply unrealistic, beginning any team with FF more than 4, is unrealistic and beardy

I think there will a hotly debated issue ! :P
Trambi... All is a question of evaluation... In my opinion, playng with 4th gold edition rules is also a beardie way, with stadiums, ... and this lot of cash... possibility to remove BG traits... Longshot and you still reply the same things, but I really think we're not playing the same game... There is no offence from me in this reply.

About your reply: what is famous ? What isn't ? If you're talking about the background, it's bullshit (I love this word !) !!! Take a look on it:

http://www.midgardbb.com/OtherTeams/Cha ... avers.html

With a fan factor of 28, here's a great team... But with the new winnings table, having a 4FF isn't a real advantage in a league... Maybe during the 5 fist matches... but after ? Whereas with your rules, you will earn more money... Or may play with 2 trolls, and an ogre ;)

Trambi

Post by Trambi »

DFC:
We are talking about CM 4, aren't we ? :lol:

:o No I talk about Blood Bowl. And saying that background is a bullshit is a bullshit
(I know that you love this word so I force myself to use it twice in a sequence ;) ).

I already know that I belong to a small minority about FF. As far i remember, this forum is here to discuss and to have a discussion is better to have at least two different points of view.

About the FF subject, it's like in reality, some teams make a lot of merchandising (spending a lot of money like PSG and OM in France) and become popular. When others teams are not very famous but they try to buy good player or organize some tactics (Reroll in BB).
I think that we have the choice and the rules allow to have the choice and it's a good think.

One little think, it's very hard to offense
me :lol:

Trambi

Post by Trambi »

:( I forget to say that we play to the last sold version in France : 3rd edition ... 8)

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Just say Fan Factor is only relative between teams and only applies in the context of one league. If you were playing a pub league the pool of players attending would be far smaller than if you were competing for the BloodBowl, maybe under 100 people, but the relative value of fan factor remains the same.

There is a limit on how much fan factor you can start with and that's 9. If that's what Nuffle dictates is the most FF an unknown team can start with then play within those boundaries. If you think it's "beardy" to start with more than 4 then change the rules in your league to state "you cannot purchase more than 4 FF on a starting team". In my league we play vanilla rules so the limit is 9.

Besides I think once you get past the idea of an "evil dwarf" using a blunderbuss to fire a football to a "half evil dwarf, half bull" you've pretty much waived the concept of "realism".

Marcus