Does anyone use the wizard type things?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Like i said, i have no problem not taking one if the point is to make as little money as possible, which can be a totally valid tactics for dwarves.

Reason: ''
Dark Lord (retired)

Post by Dark Lord (retired) »

Buying rerolls is way better for that.
Dwarf teams can buy rerolls for only 80K and drop 4 points of TR in the process. It's no prob to save up 160K on a developed dwarf team, buy 2 rerolls and drop 8TR points.
On the other hand by purchasing an alchemist the run the risk of an unwanted outcome no matter what.

Like I keep saying, it's a gamble. I prefer to be in control.

Melifaxis
Legend
Legend

Post by Melifaxis »

I agree. I wouldn't spend the $ on a Dwarven Alchemist...the Runesmith on the other hand would get my hard earned gold.

I have never hired a wizard (except master chef) but have a feeling that I may be doing so for the first time in our upcoming playoffs.

NAF Rankings
Commissioner: HBBL & GSBBL (7's)
Tournament Organizer: The Beantown Brouhaha & the Draughthouse Massacre & The Tricorn Cup
NBA Heretic & Proud Beer-Drinker of the NFL
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Dark Lord wrote:Buying rerolls is way better for that.
Dwarf teams can buy rerolls for only 80K and drop 4 points of TR in the process. It's no prob to save up 160K on a developed dwarf team, buy 2 rerolls and drop 8TR points.
On the other hand by purchasing an alchemist the run the risk of an unwanted outcome no matter what.

Like I keep saying, it's a gamble. I prefer to be in control.
If you want as little money as possible, not hiring an alchemist is a small step, but one in the right direction. Personally, to really bring TR down and drain treasury, i'd rather freeboot a deathroller. Sure, it's totally useless, but it brings the TR down really fast!

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Melifaxis wrote:I agree. I wouldn't spend the $ on a Dwarven Alchemist...the Runesmith on the other hand would get my hard earned gold.

I have never hired a wizard (except master chef) but have a feeling that I may be doing so for the first time in our upcoming playoffs.
I find the runesmith on Galak's site to be less powerful than a normal wizard. There's only a 1 in 3 chance of getting something really useful (+1 ST or +1 AG). On the other hand, a well-placed fireball...

Dark Lord (retired)

Zombie wrote:If you want as little money as possible, not hiring an alchemist is a small step, but one in the right direction. Personally, to really bring TR down and drain treasury, i'd rather freeboot a deathroller. Sure, it's totally useless, but it brings the TR down really fast!
It leaves you with nothing after the game and steals casualties from your longbeards who need the spp's.

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Well, buying rerolls leaves you with nothing after the game either, assuming you already had enough. Wait, that's not right, it leaves you with an extra 4 points of TR that you will never be able to get rid of in the future, because rerolls can't be fired!

I prefer to start my teams with enough rerolls, or as close as i can get. It means i can get to the optimal team (all the positional players and all the rerolls you need) faster, because less money is required to get there. And once i've gotten to that point, i'd rather freeboot star players to keep my TR down than extra rerolls that i won't use and that will impact my TR in a way that will negatively affect my team for every future game for generations to come.

Dark Lord (retired)

Umm...if you buy the rerolls at the team start up the 4 points of TR are still there...I just pay more for the same thing.

But like I said, when you run a successful Dwarf team come back and talk to me. :roll:

Robotorz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Robotorz »

I dont know if I am wrong but the last Finals in the MBBL was Dwarf vs. Amazon (I think amazon won). Is this sucessful enough for you?

I hope you all enjoyed the crispy version of me.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Robotorz wrote:I dont know if I am wrong but the last Finals in the MBBL was Dwarf vs. Amazon (I think amazon won). Is this sucessful enough for you?
Season 1 of the MBBL championship match: Dwarf vs Chaos .... Chaos won ... no freebooting was done

Season 2 of the MBBL championship match: Dwarf (same team) vs Amazon ... Amazon won
Amazon freebooted Thrud, an Amazon Blitzer, and an Amazon Linewoman
Dwarf team freebooted Grim Ironjaw

Galak

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Dark Lord wrote:Umm...if you buy the rerolls at the team start up the 4 points of TR are still there...I just pay more for the same thing.

But like I said, when you run a successful Dwarf team come back and talk to me. :roll:
Either you're not listening to me, or you're falsly misinterpreting what i'm saying on purpose. Say the team needs 5 rerolls, and more would be more negative (because of handicap) then positive. That number could be different, but such an optimal number exists for every team. Getting to 5 then becomes a priority for me (i'll start with 5 if i can, and if i can't then i'll start as close to that as possible). Once i reach 5, then buying new ones would help more than it would hurt, so i'd rather throw my money away through freebooters than hurting my team by buying more rerolls.

This is not at all about playing dwarves. These are simple mathematics that apply to every race.

jaylazer
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by jaylazer »

I play the Drundlehome Drak Rats (Dwarves) in the MBBL.

I used the Runesmith in my last game and got a +1 AG for one of my Runners. I have to say that was very useful. I've already got a Blitzer with 4 AG so the 2 matched up well together.

I plan on freebooting him every game I can. I've just filled up my roster and already have 4 TRRs. I'm was also leading the league in Team Rating. I was planning on using the Runesmith every game to use up that extra gold. (Fortunately, my last opponent helped out my TR by killing my Star Runner with 40 SPP).

Jay
NAF number: 559
Dark Lord (retired)

Zombie wrote:Say the team needs 5 rerolls, and more would be more negative (because of handicap) then positive. That number could be different, but such an optimal number exists for every team. Getting to 5 then becomes a priority for me This is not at all about playing dwarves. These are simple mathematics that apply to every race.

How is this an optimal number? Actually 8 would let you fail a roll every turn? For an AG 2 team I think 8 is pretty damn fine number.

I guess you fret about TR more than I do. I don't get super upset about giving up handicaps. I think if I was worried about losing because I was giving up handicaps then i waould try a new team. :wink:

The difference is that you have a formula for everything (or at least claim you do) and have no concept that any other way besides your own is correct. I have had several dwarf teams and all of them have been different. (and all of them have been successful too :wink: ) How about you?

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

You know this would all be a lot easier if you two would just never talk to each other.

I'm tired of reading the back and forth.

Locked.

Galak