The best official team?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Daguun
Rookie
Rookie

The best official team?

Post by Daguun »

I got Blood Bowl recently and has been playing only humans and orcs since they were in the box. But now I am thinking about getting a new team and I am absolutely clueless as to which one I should buy. :-?

I understand that this is mainly a matter of taste since the team are balanced (or are they?). If one likes to play aggressive he should get a strength-based team. If he prefers passing he should try an elvish team.

I don't really have a taste in these matters. I want to play what's best and will learn how to play it (then, I'll learn to play the lesser teams hahah).

So since many of you have a lot of experience in Blood Bowl, are pretty surely champions in your respective leagues (lick, lick hahhah) - I'll be interested to hear which team you consider as the best team to win a most of your games. Or to win in a League. There must be one or two teams that generally get better results than others.

--
Daguun

Reason: ''
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

For myself, i prefer High Elf and Skaven.
But actually i play Gobbo.
You should not only try one Race but some of them to see where you are good at.
Each Team got his strong and Weak point.
And each team can won if the coach plays it well.
Try some, try a lot, and you ll get your answer.(i ve tryed about 12/13 Races)
An other point is that when you have the experience playing Orc (for example) and now you play elf (example too), you know those Strong and Weak point of your next Orcish opponent and how to play against.
Play, PLay! PLAy!! PLAY!!!!

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

In the two leagues that I stayed in to the finish.

Lizardmen (gold 4th rules)
Khorne (3rd edition)

won the leagues. Under the BB2k1 system, I'll still getting a feel for which teams has the advantages.

Galak

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

I've finished top of the table in leagues with dwarves, chaos dwarves, orcs, lizardmen, skaven, woodelves, humans and chaos. The conclusion I've come to is the best team to play is the one you have the most fun with. I believe that the teams are particularly well balanced at the moment and that any coach can do well with almost any team.

So what it comes down to is playing style. Do you enjoy pulling off flashy plays that leave the opposing coach shaking their heads and saying "what the hell could I do?" or do you prefer to grind your way down the pitch leaving the opposition beating themselves against your team like moths against a lightbulb (and presumably shaking their heads going "what the hell can I do?")

I suggest playing your human team for a while. Humans are a "options" team, as in they are particularly good at creating multiple play options on the pitch. Play that for a while and see how your game goes. If you find that humans are too slow and can't move the ball around well enough, try High Elves, Wood Elves or Skaven. If you're finding that your team is lacking the hitting power you need, try Dwarves, Chaos or Undead.

YMMV, you get the idea. Find what style of play you enjoy then pick a team that suits that style.

Marcus

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I think that Dark Elves (especially now with the 4 Blitzer allowance) are a good mix of agility, speed and hitting power.
A word of warning though, all the Elf teams will start relatively slowly due to player cost.
Dwarf, Undead, Norse and Amazons are probably the strongest 'out of the blocks'.

DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

For my money Wood Elves are the most successful team. They are vulnerable early on but if you avoid too many casualties you should be able to skip your way to many victories.
Skaven are also a very dangerous team in much the same way as the W Elves.
Dwarves are hard to win with IMO... just too slow, even if injuring them is nigh on impossible.
And for some reason I find it hard to win with Dark Elves even though many other coaches are deadly with them.

Jonathan Merry
Da Leeg Commissioner, Shaka Shield and SA Open Organiser
Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

is the "orcs are easiest" myth still going strong?

iron chef kosher
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Lucien Swift wrote:is the "orcs are easiest" myth still going strong?
That's a myth?
:P

DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

The Orcs certainly do have access to a huge number of players and remain a very strong begining team (and even better as it grows) so like most myths it is based in some truth. You realy can't go wrong with Orcs as they have no major weaknesses which makes them a good team for rookie coaches. But the BEST team.... naaaah

Jonathan Merry
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

A lot depends upon the coaches that you have in your league. And what other teams you have in there too if it just human/orcs at the mo' then yoiu have a blank canvas and should try to experiment with as many as you can, Deathwings league format may be a the best example of this I have seen.

You will soon find out if your strengths lie in the passing game or the heavy hitting game or somewhere in between.

I have coached at one time or another Dark Elves (league Champions) Undead (ditto), humans, chaos, skaven and high elves, I am currently running a Khemri team in the MBBL2 and two teams in my home league (Dwarves and Dark Elves) and they are currently placed 1st and 2nd. After 1 months games my dwarves are out in front and I have 6 players with Guard to protect my sidestepping runner up the pitch. The other coaches spend most of their 4 minutes seeing if they can get a 1 dice block in their favour. I'm only joking, in fact I lost my first game wioth them the other night against Control freaks Chaos Dwarves. :pissed:

so any team may fit you and until you have played them all or at least a few more than Humans/orcs you won't know.

DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

the best thing to do would be to borrow someone elses minis and play a few games with that race, then borrow someone elses team etc... till you find a team that inspires you for whatever reason - personally I love playing Halflings or Gobbos as they are eternal underdogs.
If you can't borrow anyones minis then use your humans as high elves or your orcs as chaos or whatever just so you get a feel for the different teams' styles of play.
I played this way for many years before I could afford to buy myself the real teams and even played games against myself (playing both teams) so i could judge the various abilities of the teams :oops: :D

Jonathan Merry
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Marcus took the words right out of my mouth. Start with Humans. If you like 'em, stick with 'em! If not, figure out what you don't like and then move in that direction.

Good luck!

-Chet

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

take a look at the minis....see which ones you like.

Originally I liked the old 2nd ed dwarf figs, and I've been a dwarf player since. Its important that you like the look of the team you choose too.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

yeah Thadrin is exactly right!
unfortunately I am a bit schitzphrenic (spelling?) in my team choices so I have 9/10 teams as I can't decide on what to play, and usually choose a new team every league season, and play 2 or 3 teams during a league as well. It is also usefull when I try and introduce new players to my league as they can use my minis when learning to play with new teams.

Jonathan Merry
Trambi
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Trambi »

I hate to say it but it is problably High elf team :puke: and skaven team.

But for fun, ogre team are the best with gobbo team. :)

Ogres are the only true Blood Bowl players !
Ogrewomen are the only true BB Cheerleaders !