Starting FF poll.

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

What is your preferred starting FF on a rookie team?

The max 9 no matter what.
9%
Prepared to drop slightly, but no lower than 6.
56%
Prepared to start 4-5 and spend the extra elsewhere.
23%
go even lower in favour of a strong starting line-up.
12%

Total votes: 43

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Starting FF poll.

Post by Deathwing »

Ok, this seems to come up for some discussion more or less every time somebody asks for advice on starting a team, so I thought a thread/poll might be a useful thing to point rookies in the direction of.
I think I've got a reasonable idea of people's opinions, but it'd be interesting if you could post where you voted and why.
For the sake of the poll we'll assume vanilla 2k1 rules, and a League format of say 10 games.

Reason: ''
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I went with 'Prepared to drop slightly, but no lower than 6.'

I'd start with the max for most teams, but the expense of the Elves more or less forces you to take lower unless you're going to go with the lineman and one or two position player option.

Why? FF pays for itself quickly, plus it can make or break a game with the KO table results.
Also to consider is the 2k1 change that FF goes down on a roll of 1 regardless of cas/TDs/result. A low FF and a couple of 1's in the first few games could be a trough you'll never get out of.

So I'm in the start as high as you can camp! :D

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

prolly 75% of my league teams have been elves... with the high replacement costs, i've always gone for the most ff i can pull so that i can afford replacements or an apothecary after the first match.... most frequently, i will start an elf team with 11 linemen and then get as many rerolls and ff as i can after that...

heck, i once started an undead team with like 12 skeletons just to get the most ff and rr... if your league intends on running for any length of time, you can get the better players later, sacrifice your first half dozen games, but in the long run be in far, far better shape...

position players can be bought, ff and rerolls are harder to come by down the line...

iron chef kosher
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

I'm the solitary 4-5 player. I have always felt a high FF should be earned, not bought, but that is just my opinion. An FF of 5 plus is usually enough to guarantee reasonable winnings, but could also cope if you rolled a couple of 1s on the FF chart after the game..

Simple maths: FF9 or FF4 and apothecary??

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
TiMuN
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by TiMuN »

Since it's 2K1 rules, i would go for a Bull Centaur in my Chaos Dwarves team, so there is no big money spent on FF. I used to start leagues with the maximum of 9 FF, but at least one Bull Centaur has to be bought.

i always thought it was 'the earlier you get some more money, the earlier you will respawn your injured players' kind of way ...

regards

[b]TiMuN[/b]
[size=75][img]http://www.bloodbowl.net/NAF/ArticleImages/naf.gif[/img] Member #181
[url=http://www.bloodbowlforo.org]BloodBowlForo.org[/url] | [url=http://spanishteam.tbbl.org]Spanish Team[/url][/size]
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

When I build a roster I also start the roster by putting down 3 rerolls and a 9 FF ... I then try to build 11 to 12 players out of the left over. If its REAL close 10 to 20k then I'll shave it off the FF. Its it more out there 60 to 70k then I go to 2 rerolls.

Galak

Thetchyl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Thetchyl »

There are too many advantages, gained by a higher ff that you cannot easily forgo:
-Money to replace dead players ( greetings to all av7 coaches)
-the highly underrated kickoff table.
I had a game where there were actually 2 pitch invasions against me, one injuring 6, the other knocking down 5 players, and I went down 0:3 against orcs!
We had an orc coach who started his team with almost maximum position players, 3 RRs and a FF of 3.
after about 20 games, he still is at FF2 and it really hurts your economy if you play against him!!!(we use the rule of natural1 on ff roles).

To sum up: always go for as high a ff as possible, never lower than 6.

[b]Thetchyl [/b]
[url=http://www.botzliga.de]B.O.T.Z.League[/url]
Trambi

Post by Trambi »

It depends of the race of your team, and of your spirit.
But i prefer FF lower than 6 for starting team.
It's an humble opinion of french coach. :D

Ogres are the only true Blood Bowl players !
Ogrewomen are the only true BB Cheerleaders !
DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

I am a 4-5 FF man as well..... but i have no hard and fast rules.

Jonathan Merry
Da Leeg Commissioner, Shaka Shield and SA Open Organiser
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I voted for the last option. Why? because i choose the stuff I think I'll need to be competitive to start off with, and most of my experience is with slow developing, tough as nails dwarfs, where money isn't such a huge factor.

I started my current season with 3 FF. I've made it to the semi finals. Nuff said.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

Good on ya Thadrin!

It's all about the spirit and the fluff if you ask me, which is why I can't sanction a high starting FF. I understand the benefits (it's not rocket science!) but I do think Thadrin's approach is much more reasonable.

One thing DW, I think you need to clarify your poll to mean league or cup competition. When we play in the Amsterdam Invitational, I'll almost certainly have an FF of 1 so I can max out on good players. I would never go so low in a league though.....

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Norse wrote: One thing DW, I think you need to clarify your poll to mean league or cup competition.
Erm..."For the sake of the poll we'll assume vanilla 2k1 rules, and a League format of say 10 games."

Norse wrote: When we play in the Amsterdam Invitational, I'll almost certainly have an FF of 1 so I can max out on good players. I would never go so low in a league though.....
Fair enough, Tournaments are entirely different. It's still a factor though( pun NOT intended) on the KO table, Chet's relatively high FF at Res. paid off big time against Geoff Porrit's skaven with TWO pitch invasions.
There's still 4 results on the KO table that FF has a bearing on, and how many rolls will there be on the KO table during a 5 game tourney?
It's dependent on race to a certain extent, longfang had FF2 at Res; I had FF3, so did VB, Ant had 5 and Chet 6 (Dunno about Neo). I'd hazard a guess that around 3 or 4 was average, which would put you at a disadvantage every time if you went as low as 1.
Heh heh, quote from Ant from an old thread which I came across when I was checking the FFs:
"I don't really have a problem with people making 'tournament' teams with 1 FF, in fact it worked out great for me! The extra RRs and Throw a Rock's from the Kickoff Table came in really handy ."

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

Fair point..

all I would say is FF will be the last thing on my shopping list for the Tourney.. If it's 1, so be it.. If it's 5, that's OK too...

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

A couple of notes:

1. 9 isn't "high" for FF. 20 - that's high!

2. John's Orcs had a FF of 1.

-Chet

Trambi

Post by Trambi »

Acerak wrote:A couple of notes:

1. 9 isn't "high" for FF. 20 - that's high!

2. John's Orcs had a FF of 1.

-Chet
high for what a starting team or a 250 TR team ?
That's an important fact, the rule is that you could start my 1 to 9 FF.
It's good to be free to choose his fan factor at the beginning cos it's a kind of your team spirit.

Ogres are the only true Blood Bowl players !
Ogrewomen are the only true BB Cheerleaders !