Another double on a big hand beastman....

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Sinclair
Rookie
Rookie

Another double on a big hand beastman....

Post by Sinclair »

First, excuse me for my poor english, I come from de french BB ligue.

You see, my beastman juste get a double on his experience roll. That beastman previously got big hands.

That means that he is the beastman who pick up the ball and score !

I wanted to give him sure hands but he gets a second double !

I really hesitate between :
- stand firm
- foul appearance
- dodge
- dump off
- accurate
- pass
- sure feet
- (and eventually nerv of steel)

What do you think ? Any advice ?

Reason: ''
MattiasF

Post by MattiasF »

You need to come up with a plan on how to use this guy, then the skill choices will be easy.

One annoying combo is Big Hand and Nerves of Steel. Then you can grab out of alot of tackle zones and just pass the ball.

But I guess thats just one of many possibilites.

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Didnt we have this conversation?

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Pass

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Dodge or Nerves of Steel

Dodge to enforce his role as a ball-carrier (next doubles : SF) or
Nerves of Steel to turn him into a thrower (next doubles: pass)

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Let us remember that NoS has NO EFFECT on pick ups...but if I remember right then Big hand is always 2+...
I'd go with Dodge myself...then Block as his next skill. Its rather dull, but it makes him a better ball carrier.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
JJB
Honorary Asmodan

Post by JJB »

...I feel like answering this thread in French just to piss everyone off (except Sinclair of course...) but then I fear I'll get deleted by a mod...
:wink:

Oh well... :roll:

Sinclair, you said this beastman is the guy to whom you've assigned the job of picking up the ball, holding on to it and scoring. In that case, there is no point in giving him any skills to help his passing game, since it is not the job you originally gave him. Therefore, nerves of steel, accurate and pass are useless to you.
Now dump off could work as a defensive skill. The only problem is that this player, when attacked, will find himself surrounded by opposing players, which will increase his chances of fumbling, unless you already have nerves of steel. But then, that implies your rolling THREE doubles. Whatever others might say in this thread, I must say that rolling that on a same player is EXTREMELY rare. Out of probably hundreds of matches (I've played online a lot), I've only had one player with three doubles, so I don't see the point in building up your beastman according to the expectation that he will roll a third double.

Your remaining skills from the list are:
- stand firm
- foul appearance
- dodge
- sure feet

Stand firm prevents you from suffering a turnover if you fail a dodge, or be pushed away (especially in the public if you are on the sidelines...).
Now, if you fail a dodge, you will find yourself next to the player you wanted to escape from and who will therefore have another go at trying to knock your guy down. You don't want that. As to putting your player on the sidelines, your main fear is not just to be pushed out but to be knocked down at all (since he is supposed to be the guy with the ball). I expect you will make sure your beastman is not close to opposing players for the whole time he has the ball. Thus, stand firm is not a priority in my opinion.

Foul appearance is nice not to be hit, as well as to disrupt an opponent's pass/catch, even more so as you will be nearby to try and pick up the ball dropped thanks to your big hand.

Sure feet give a plus to attempts to go for it, but with a reroll around, I don't think this skill is a priority.

Dodge helps you stand on your feet after you get hit, or even to run away from the scrum of players from the inside of which you've picked up the ball (with your big hand...). Of course, if you have to face guys with tackle in either situation, the use of that skill will be negated (but I find that unlikely to see a thrower or catcher (i.e. the guys who will have dropped the ball) with the tackle skill...).

To summarize, in view of the job you previously assigned to that beastman, I would consider first dodge, then foul appearance, then the rest... although foul appearance involves some serious tactical planning to make that skill really useful.