Help with the High Elves!

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

kukuklox

Help with the High Elves!

Post by kukuklox »

I got my arse handed to me against the dwarfs in pre season. Any advice on how to win with them?

Reason: ''
Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

get the heck away from them... (them being whoever is on the other side of the line)... the trick to real success with the high elves is to only let the other guy get one hit a turn by using your agility to dodge off the line... sure, this means you only get one hit a turn too, but you're smart enough to make it a good one... besides, you're elves, not orcs, concentrate more on formations, passing, and color-coordinating your socks...

offense is a matter of misdirection, cutting diagonal wedges through the field, and then opening the hole for your lion warrior to score... usually, i'll start toward one side of the field, let the other guy stack his defence over there, then turn my attack to the other side (skaven and woodies are better at this, but pointy-heads are fast enough to pull it off, and agile enough to keep moving around)... try to get some penetration in the opposite wide-zone early to build a little pocket for your ball handlers to run into, if you can't get close enough for the lion to score in two turns like this, try reversing field again... always keep a lineman or two where they can make a break for the endzone and receive a pass in the open backfield, yadda yadda... it's pretty basic non-brutish bloodbowl stuff...

on defence, just stay 1 square apart from his formation and blitz anyone who gets into the backfield, the other guy won't be able to get into the ez with a cage and if they break up you'll be able to go after the ball (remember that high agility?) the name of the game is holding up his advance just long enough to kill the half... one tactic i use often is to just let the other guy score in 2-3 turns, then kill the half, getting a score, then trying to keep the ball the whole other half and score... 2-1 win is a win....

as for lineup, skip the position players at the start... take 10 linemen, 1 dragon warrior, and a bunch or rerolls and fan factor...

if you've got the ball, quick pass it to someone new every turn, you get a lot of really easy spp's this way....

now that you can get 4 lion warriors, spend your money getting them all, they're the best players in the game (don't let anyone tell you otherwise)...

pointy-heads are fun, just don't think in terms of getting the other team on the ground (that'll mess up your uniform anyway)...

iron chef kosher
Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

High Elf Tactics

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Well I agree with most of this. However, 1 thing I do disagree with. High Elves can fight. They just need to pick the time and place - and its not 1 on 1 v Orcs or Dwarves.....

Seriously having av 8 makes a big difference over the Woodies - you can fight against most teams - playing against skaven for example, I would tend to be the aggressor. My High Elf team is built for fighting and agility - this means you can win against all teams. If all you have is passing, you will struggle against other Elf teams... now if you can beat them up, then you win. Some of the players:-

High Cherry Dragon Warrior 7 4 4 7 Block, +1 STR, Dodge, -1AV

Slim Lineman 6 3 4 8 Block, Dauntless, Guard

Nao Lineman 6 3 4 8 Block, Dodge, Tackle

Nasty Lineman 6 4 5 8 :P +1 ST +1 AG,

Red Waltzer Dragon Warrior 7 3 5 8 Block, Mighty Blow, +1 AG

Boy Blood Lion Warrior 8 3 4 7 Catch, Block, Dodge, Sidestep

There are other players with Guard and Dauntless - these are much needed skills when you play against the hard teams (dodging your player with Guard to the best place really helps)! Oh and a dirty player also helps! (2 SIs in the last game from fouling!) - the dirty player also attracts blitzes etc - thus saving your better players from injury. Add in Leap and soon to have Strip Ball, Pass Block and Shadowing this team will be very tough on offence and defence.

Now this team has had some good rolls - there are 3 players with 4 Strength and 3 players with 5 agility (although one of them has both! - he is my 4 strength thrower - and until he gets block - he is very well protected)! However, because of the tactics, they have suffered a good number of deaths / injuries - there are 5 stat adjustments on the team and the star thrower was killed some games ago......

However with a TR of 225 they are a match for most teams. Their last 3 games have resulted in the following wins:-

6 - 2 v Lizards

4 - 0 v Minotaurs

4 - 1 v Chaos

They also have a positive casualty count of 3 in these 3 games. Overall they have won 9, lost 8 and tied 1. However, I expect their record to improve significantly.

Looking at the players above - note that 3 of them are lineman - do not under estimate them - they can easily win you the game!

Overall with its current playing staff (ie exluding those that died or retired), the team has amassed 42 completions, 33 TDs, 2 Ints and 25 Casualties.

Finally, a tip for all Elf throwers - if you have 2 or more rerolls, take Accurate not Sure Hands on at least one of your throwers as your second skill at 6 SPPs - it opens up your offence much more!

Dave

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

you definitely can brawl with these bums... eventually... but not at first and learning to win with them without slugging will be learning to win with them in any game you're in, even the ones you could have brawled your way through...

...i once spent the an entire open season in a running league re-developing my entire finesse elf team into an evil bunch of lunatics... almost every player had block, dodge, and dauntless.... but i still scored my touchdowns the same way... pointy-heads are pointy-heads, even when they can stand the line against the black orcs of the world...

iron chef kosher
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

There's what I believe to be a common misconception in Bloodbowl regarding the accepted wisdom that you must always dodge players away to avoid a block. I've seen a high elf player go 10 games without a win due to his unshakable faith in the logic of this. I'll develop this idea in a seperate thread.

General

In this instance however I think the problem you're facing with Dwarves is you may well be allowing them to dictate the pace of the game. Most games are won by ensuring the pace of the game suits your team and not the opponent's. Dwarves can be particularly good at this, and they need to be due to their low AG and MA.

Offence

Keep the game wide open, spread the game the length and breadth of the pitch to keep the dwarves away from one another. This will give you freedom to move and emphasise your MA advantage.

Don't show the ball to the dwarves on Offence. Keep the ball deep and attempt coast-to-coast plays when your recievers are in range of the touchline.

Remember any elf can catch or throw the ball. Don't telegraph your plays, leave your options open so the Dwarves don't know who to cover.

Defence

Rule 1: Don't let them form the cage.
Rule 2: Get a kicker and kick deep, this puts plenty of space between his runners and his front line that allows you either an extra turn to get players in behind his line to cut them off or will force a risky pass to the front line.
Rule 3: Don't let them form the cage.
Rule 5: If they do start driving forwards, keep them bottled to one side to deny them room to roll out. Keep men two deep in front of their players to frustrate blitz throughs. Pick the weakest man and hit and foul. Dwarves do not play well with men missing. Resist the urge to get in close, stand back and cut them out from the pack. Strip Ball could also be your friend if the runners don't have the ball.
Rule 6: There is no Rule 6
Rule 7: Don't let them form the cage.

Marcus

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Rule 6: There is no Rule 6

Apparently there's no Rule 4, either, but if there was, it would go like this:

"Rule 4: Spend 50K for a Fireball and let 'em eat it!"

Cheers!

-Chet

The Mind
Rookie
Rookie

Post by The Mind »

All of these tips are good except the fact that he is going to get beat
by my team the DARK ELF ASSASSINS;scared of the stunties,never!
Your High Elf Fancy Lads are gonna come up beaten and dirty when i get done with ya!! hahahaha

kukuklox

Sure!

Post by kukuklox »

Did "the mind" mention that the same dwarf team DISMANTLED the orc team that "the mind" was coaching? I lost to them midgets. you went out like a B****! And you will loose to the Fancy Lads (my elf team name) this weekend! And since preseason is over this one will count! Thanks for the advice everyone. It will help because I have a reputation of rolling like crap in my league.

The Mind
Rookie
Rookie

Post by The Mind »

Just to end this discussion the Dark Elf Assassins beat those Fancy Lad
high elves 3-1,Dark Elves Rule.

Stav
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stav »

enough bragging u two, I'm sure you've both beat each other on various occasions :P

Anyway, high elves like all elves = expensive and start with very few skills...

I'd say start with high ff (9) (8 minimum if u really have to)
and try to play them as a two season team, first season build up a solid squad, second season try to win :)