Am I crazy for even considering this?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Am I crazy for even considering this?

Post by Thadrin »

Just played (and lost :cry: , though only 1-0 to a better, Chaos Dwarf, team witha good coach and both of us rolling dreadfully - he got a couple of early Cas and it all kinda went pearshaped from there. I killed his minotaur....temporarily...though) my league semi final. Came through pretty much unscathed (thanks to my Doc saving my Blitzer from death.)

BUT BUT BUT.

I got my second skill on one of my Longbeards. He already has Mighty Blow, and I rolled snake eyes. I could be boring and give him Stand firm, but that would be three Longbeards with Stand Firm on the team - DULL. I could say "Stuff the doubles, he's getting Guard."....but then I had the heinously evil idea of giving him Sidestep.

Imagine him and one of the stand firmers in a wide zone.
Guard will of course be his next skill if I do go this route...but I just wanted to see if the TBB community thought I'd completely lost it with this idea.

Reason: ''
I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

You've lost it. Stand Firm is superior :)

Seriously: Someone comes to blitz you. He wants you OUT of your current square, at least, or down. In this case, Stand Firm allows you to maintain your position. So in this case, I'd suggest Stand Firm is better.

Now let's build an argument for Side Step: You can assess the turn as it develops and decide to move your Guard into a more advantageous position (unless the best position is your current square).

But the kicker for Stand Firm, IMO: You don't fail dodges. You can try them without fear. And that's worth something.

If you want a lateral skill, give him Dodge. Heck, give him Frenzy and build a third Slayer! One of those in each wide zone to deal with dodge-y types, Slayers to take down ST4+ players.

Good luck!

-Chet

Stefan
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Stefan »

To my mind dodge is a nice idea.
It makes him togher suffering blocks. Only every sixth block will take him down.

Pain is the most effective Blood Bowl coach !
Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Side Step on a Longbeard is cool - if you can get Guard and Dodge next he will be a real pain!

Yes Side Step is probably inferior to Stand Firm.... however - if you are trying to inflitrate a cage.... how many dodge rolls are you going to need with your stand firmers?

Go for it!

Dave

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I forgot about the dodge failure thing, and Chet is right - that is a hell of a kicker.

One of those ideas that will probably never see daylight I guess. (If I get a double on my Runners though....)

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

i think this is a good idea coz you already have 2 players with Stand firm.
He surely be usefull.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Thats the thing isn't it? Who wants a boring homogenous team - Stand firm may TACTICALLY be best....but what other options do I have:

Dodge - extremely annoying. I sit him somewhere and he's practically impossible to get rid of....especially if I later throw in Stand firm (a 1 in 6 chance to move him anywhere on a 1 dice block...and if I get a couple of guards thats the best you'll get). Maybe for one of the guys who already has SF if they get a second double. What a combo!

Diving Tackle - another anti-dodger weapon - and remember: no dodge skill allowed! he has tackle! Sit him in a wide zone and just wait for those irritating elves, skinks and ghouls.

Catch - two words: Tight. End. two more words: Completely. Unexpected.

Sure feet - Moving those extra squares just got a whole lot easier.

Leader - useful....though it has a tendency to go pear shaped. (I BH'd my opponent's star Chaos dwarf Leader - who had already BH's two of my guys - last night. Next turn his mino skull/skullpow'd...giving me a second pop at his ball carrier after I'd missed a dodge roll on the first try.)

Dauntless - might be nice to have a third guy to take on big guys, Black orcs, Mummies and Bull Centaurs without worrying about assists...

I welcome opinions. I'm now leaning towards Diving Tackle or Sure Feet....

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

The Runner with doubles needs Sure Feet or Dodge. Especially if you use him as a running back instead of a quarterback.

-Chet

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I was thinking for my QB type runner, who only has Pass at the moment. Sidestep makes him a pain in the rear on defence, and I'm not sure I want to risk my AG5 guy on D.

The AG5 guy needs Block above all else first.

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

The AG5 guy needs Block above all else first.

Give him Leap on a roll of doubles. Amaze your friends! Fluster your enemies!

AND WOW the fans! :o

-Chet

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

My star runner "Lewis" reached 51 SPP's last night and I am torn between Kick and Pro as his next choice and opinions?

He already has gained Block, Side Step and Guard (2 sets of doubles) he has a habit of being pushed into the enemy end-zone with the ball, something I had only read about before this season.

He is starting to attract bounties though :pissed:

ScottTBBF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ScottTBBF »

voyagers_uk wrote:My star runner "Lewis" reached 51 SPP's last night and I am torn between Kick and Pro as his next choice and opinions?

He already has gained Block, Side Step and Guard (2 sets of doubles) he has a habit of being pushed into the enemy end-zone with the ball, something I had only read about before this season.

He is starting to attract bounties though :pissed:
I'd give him Sure hands as his next skill if he's getting pushed into the endzone a lot... Strip Ball could really ruin your day.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Would be a great idea - if he didn't already have Sure Hands (Runners get that as their base skill).

Pro would be my choice of those two.
Lets go through some other options though:
Dump off could be fun...and might get you a score or two if you get a suitable Blitzer (NoS would help there), Hail Mary Pass could be useful on defence. Kick would be worth it IF you're using Chet's kicking rules - otherwise thats a Longbeard skill...and, thinking about it, quite possibly what I'll give that Longbeard that started this thread if we go to those rules in our league (can't be certain of another doubles roll can I? and I do have a lovely Kicker fig painted up...).
How about this? Tackle. He has Sidestep...that makes him a real pain to get rid of (shame you don't have dodge). Using him as a deep safety on your defence will REALLY annoy people. Could also prove useful if he's blocking his way to the endzone and has to get rid of a Dodging safety (a human catcher or a Gutter Runner for example).

NightDragon
Legend
Legend

Be boring

Post by NightDragon »

I'd be boring and go for dodge. Just a thought, but if you went for dump off does that go with side step? You would have to declare your dump off first and then you would have lost your ability to use sidestep. If you go for dodge he is harder to take down and can get away easier. Laters DD.

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

huh? Dump-off interfering with sidestep?
I don't see whi it wouldn't work..
Someone blitzes the ball-carrier, before the block roll, declare the dump-off and execute the pass. Then roll the block and use side-step as usual..

Or am I wrong?

-- Christer