How to get the best out of D.Elves

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

NightDragon
Legend
Legend

How to get the best out of D.Elves

Post by NightDragon »

Personally I think Linemen must all start with block and dodge unless you roll profile increases or get a double, in which case give them guard.
Blitzers & Witch Elves treat as aggressive, you want them to strip the ball and be your last line of defence. With frenzy dauntless is essential for the Witches. As long as you get movement profile increases I am not too sure catch skills are needed as the AG of 4 is worth the gamble. For the same reason I have only ever had 1 thrower.
General tactics? Score as quick as you can. On defence get players in on any huddle as the block and dodge skills tend to force the grinders in to doing something. If you can get in go for it. Once they are forced out of their huddle they are open to your blitzers and if they throw you should have pass blockers, with an AG 4 you will get something.
The only teams I find are dangerous are the really fast ones who can hand off and short throw the entire length of the pitch. Any advice on this one?
Be basic but be adventurous. These boys can do anything you want. Profile increases and doubles make them awesome. My team has won 90% of their games 7 divisions 4 conferences and 3 bloodbowls.
Laters DD.

Reason: ''
Trambi
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Trambi »

Dark elfes are egocentric if you follow the background, it's impossible to give them exactly the same skills. DE linemen could take kick (helpfull for defense), dirty player for slannesh influence ;) , shadow or tackle to defend

Ogres are the only true Blood Bowl players !
Ogrewomen are the only true BB Cheerleaders !
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

i am against all the coaches that takes the same skills for all theur players:
i think that it is not so fun but more than that, i think it is a tactical error.
diversification is better to win. A combinaison of skills for all the team is better than a small skill combinaison on each player.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
NightDragon
Legend
Legend

I disagree

Post by NightDragon »

I do not follow your argument at all. BB is a fun game but it is also competitive. Taking block and dodge for your linemen keeps them on the pitch utilising the most valuable profile characteristic, AG. Sure other skills are useful and should be used but I don't see a problem with having players with the same skills, there is nothing ethically wrong with this and I didn't notice it in the rules the last time I read them.

Trambi

Post by Trambi »

You are the coach of your team. But I disagree with this. Playing in "the spirit" 8) is the most important thing of BB.

NightDragon
Legend
Legend

Playing in the spirit?

Post by NightDragon »

How is giving you linemen Block and Dodge not playing in the spirit? When you have players killed by wizards, by dirty players and by general thuggery (without ever complaining) you tend to want to keep your players on the pitch. With an AV of 8 casualties are higher in any case and it is now harder to fight back since dauntless is harder to come by.

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Personally i believe it is imperative for 3 linemen to take Block & Dodge if you can get them there, as they can serve as your front line on the scrimmage, but for the rest they need to be developed as your wants, Diving tackle / Shadowing makes great for an wide defensive player, and leap for one makes for a potential blitz on the ball carrier effective. Offensively there agility makes them formidable players, maybe sprint ans Sure feet could be used to turn one into a receiver, while the Blitzers & Witch Elf's punch holes in the opposition lines.

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

If you want to give your opponent a lot of trouble, try to get Block and Jump Up for the three on the line. Don't bother much with Dodge for these guys, because any opponent worth his salt will get two-die blocks on all of them, and probably 1-3 shots with Tackle included.

So give them Jump Up! If your opponent follows up, you pop up and hammer him. If he doesn't, you have your full MA to go wherever you want. It's as good as a push so long as he doesn't break AV.

Cheers!

-Chet

P.S. Yes, I know it takes doubles. Just be patient!

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

P.S. Yes, I know it takes doubles. Just be patient!
But on an elven team (any sort) u will get enough sooner or later.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Trambi

Post by Trambi »

I mean that dark elves are not robot. So it's always funny when every player have his own behavior (and his own skills).
But it's my feeling ...

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

Acerak wrote:If you want to give your opponent a lot of trouble, try to get Block and Jump Up for the three on the line. Don't bother much with Dodge for these guys, because any opponent worth his salt will get two-die blocks on all of them, and probably 1-3 shots with Tackle included.
Early on in a team's career, I'm usually quite happy to put elves with Dodge on the LoS instead of one's with Block (though not against dwarves obviously). If my opponent doesn't have an entire team with Block and doesn't have Tackle available, then choosing POW/Skull will take him down as well. Plus the Dodge skill increases my chances of getting away from the damage.

Martyn

NightDragon
Legend
Legend

On Defence

Post by NightDragon »

I think D.Elves can be a real nuisance. I like to give a few of mine Pass Block, its amazing how many times they intercept. Ofcourse if you do get doubles guard is also excellent for defending your thrower. Laters DD.

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

I agree. Early on, giving 'em Dodge first is good. But mix in a few Linemen with Block to help out your Blitzers. When they get doubles, give them Jump Up. Once your original lambs - those with Dodge and those with no skills - are just getting to the point of retirement, you'll have some handy replacements.

-Chet

longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

Block/dodge linemen are quite capable of taking the fight to your opponant as well as getting away from them. It's Bloodbowl after all not kiss-chase!

Plus it makes it dead simple to play whan your stoned out of your box Image

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]
Twist
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Twist »

Very true, longfang. But getting linemen that many skills is sometimes tough, unless you go out of your way to score with linemen. And there are other skills you need, like kick, or on doubles, dauntless, guard, etc.

My first regular skill with a DE lineman is always block, either that or they are too toothless in the hitting department. Dodging out on a 2+ without dodge works most of the time, unless you have the Dark Elf curse...

Twist.