Where to put elves on the pitch

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

A "loose cage" would look something like this:

Code: Select all

.X.X...
.....X.
...B...
.X.....
....X..
It's even easier if your ball carrier is near the sideline. Just remove the player in the upper right corner of that diagram and turn it 90 degrees counterclockwise.

Anyway, it's much looser. You can even add more protectors to generate even more overlapping tackle zones. It's also easier to form than a traditional "strict" cage.

-Chet

Reason: ''
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

A loose cage is

GEEG
EEEE
GEBEG
EEEE
GEEG

where G=guard/protecter, E=empty space, B= ball carrier. Its not lined up here but u can get the meaning. The idea is that unless the protecter at any point is actually made prone then there will be no place to get a good blitz in. This formation is a temporary one only tho, 1-2 turns. I use it in the mbbl2 when i can for my robots, it also works well for teams such as elves or skaven who dont have hard protectors like dwarves or ORCs.An elf team that can get 6 block,dodge guys should be able to piss of opponents frequently with this one, except against dwarves :evil: .

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

or like Acerak said lol, i dint recheck after rebooting.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Loose cages are also great with Side Step. If the opponent fails to knock down a defender, you can prevent him from getting to your ball carrier. This isn't a feature of the X cage. Even with Side Step, a push is going to get the blitzer next to your ball carrier.

Loose cages are easily formed anywhere on the pitch. You just have to "see" the Tackle Zones.

-Chet

Twist
Veteran
Veteran

Twist's Not So Secrets.

Post by Twist »

Argh... I just typed out a book, but the &$^% board timed me out or something.

To summarize, here's my crescent moon formation:
I play a DE running game.
1) Set up strong left or right for max # of players around the ball later on.

2) Blitz a hole thru the wide zone, preferrably the inside wide zone (near the wz borderline, so you can maximize the # of players breaking through.) Don't forget to continue moving your blitzer into a favourable position to guard your ball carrier.

3) Run your ball carrier through, put him 1 square from the sideline. Then, doing safe plays first (no dice rolling), run lots of players down and surround your ball carrier, forming a crescent moon shape around the ball carrier (from your perspective it will look like one, anyways. LOL!) Then start dodging away (the not so safe plays), and add to the protection. If you can't get that far with some of your linemen, use them to put a tackle zone on the opposition's deep defensive players, preferrably behind them (closer to their endzone).

The crescent moon works because, being aware of your opponents speed, by outrunning them, you can leave the top of the cage open (towards the end zone), and pile up the tackle zones on the nearside. If they blitz through and put a tackle zone on you, so what, you are an elf. Either use all those players that you have clumped together to beat him senseless next turn (eliminating his tackle zone), or dodge away and high step into the endzone.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Cheap @$$ attempt at a diagram, on the left side of the field:
OOOOOOO
OOOXOOO
OOOOOOO
OXOOXOO
OOOXOOO
OXOOOOO
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Team development is very important. My team works for me, another DE coach may not like it. It REALLY works for me, my DEs haven't lost since the evil one skill per action went away. :D Figure out your own game plan by trying some of our techniques, and keep what you like. Then you can develop a team that is better at doing what you like once you get experienced to choose beyond block and dodge.

Oh, and by the way, I ALWAYS give linemen block first. Keeps them alive longer, and someone on the line has to be able to hit... Unless you go out of your way to score with linemen, block/dodge might take a while. Plus, you can dodge away still on a 2+, Nuffle Willing. :)

Twist.
P.S. I'll post my team's skills choices later if anyone wants to see them.

NightDragon
Legend
Legend

Skill choices

Post by NightDragon »

I'll have a look. Laters DD.

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Ah, I finally figured this out!

*ahem*

When I'm playing Elves, I like to put them on their backsides. Even better, OFF the pitch works well!

Oh...you didn't mean "when playing against Elves"?

My bad! ;)

-Chet

Twist
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Twist »

Acerak wrote:
When I'm playing Elves, I like to put them on their backsides. Even better, OFF the pitch works well!
Speaking of backsides, sounds like someone needs a swift kick in the... :wink:

Twist.

Twist
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Twist »

Sorry about the delay, DeputyDawg...

My Dark Elves' skill choices:

1) Thrower, 6348, pass, accurate
2) Blitzer, 7358, block, dauntless, tackle, dodge
3) Blitzer, 7348, block, dodge, pass block
4) Witch Elf, 8347, frenzy, dodge, jump up, block, sidestep
5) Witch Elf, 7347, frenzy, dodge, jump up, block
6) Lineman, 6348, block, guard
7) Lineman, 6348, block, guard, dauntless
8 )Lineman, 7348, block
9) Lineman, 6348, guard, mighty blow
10) Lineman, 6348, dirty player
11) Lineman, 6348, block, kick
12) Lineman, 6348, dirty player
13) Lineman, 6348, (no skills)
14) Blitzer, 7348, block, dodge
15) Blitzer, 8448, block, dodge, tackle
16) Thrower, 6348, pass, dump off

As you may have noticed, my throwers suck. :D Thats because they are merely a backup plan, and my ball-picker-uppers, as I play a running game. In my opinion, blitzers are where its at. And now that I can have 4, I'm in BB heaven! :lol: I must admit, I've rolled a few doubles on this team, and I took guard and dauntless almost every time. The guard/mighty blow lineman is kind of a mistake, but once he gets block he'll come around...

Twist.
P.S. Opinions welcome, I'd love to see your skills, DD & martynq, or any other DE players...