Am i just Beardy?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Is it beardy to hold the ball on the edge of the endzone and not score for a turn or two?

Yes, score now b4 i slap u!!
13%
More or less but i can live with it
22%
Not really but it should not happen often
18%
No, its never beardy its just what u have to do sometimes!
47%

Total votes: 55

mrinprophet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mrinprophet »

In the league that I played in we had a "glory" rule that if a player could score at the beginning of their turn without making any rolls, then they must. It came about because we had a chaos dwarf player sit on the end zone in OT when there was only 3 opposing Amazon players left. He continued to smash and foul until the last turn. That's pretty unsportsmanlike.

Reason: ''
Kamikaze Rudy
Veteran
Veteran

man that's bad...

Post by Kamikaze Rudy »

That is bad, sitting on the ball in overtime when the opponent has only 3 players left. I've done it before, but I felt bad doing it. :lol

If I have the game in hand, there's no way that I am blocking or doing anything else but scoring. I want the win!! 3 points for a TD is better than 2 points for a CAS...

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

My take is this:
If you can stall the game for that all important turn or two, then it is a risk well worth taking. It's a sound tactic, and can quite easily result in some very interesting fighting as the opposing team mounts the counter attack.

However, as someone else mentioned, if you've hammered your opponent into the ground so hard that he has no players to retaliate with, then this becomes boring/sad/bad BB.
Just waiting for turn 8 with no risk makes for a very depressing game - whether the rules allow it or not.

You'll probably hate this: But in our league we allow a team that is down by 3 players (on the pitch) to concede a TD - for the cost of standing still for an entire turn.
We've found this very necessary.

Fair? Perhaps not.
But it has made games more enjoyable for everyone (yes - even the bashers).

Martin :)

Zy-Nox
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Zy-Nox »

I just had this tactic used against me ,Dwarfs v Woodies, my opponent said there was no point him scoring when he knew I could score back in two turns,so he didnt. :cry: He just held the ball up on the line for a few turns before I forced the score :lol: (Through whingin) :lol:
I did agree with his choice though,because if he got drawn into a scoring match he would have lost,unless something radical happened.

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

I think coaches who sit on the ball are trying to cover up for their defensive deficiencies. I never sit on the ball, though I've done it in the past like anyone else. But no more. I'm more interested in an entertaining game than a cheesy win.

-Chet

Kamikaze Rudy
Veteran
Veteran

It's not necessarily a cheesy win...

Post by Kamikaze Rudy »

If the opposing player isn't gonna send somebody after you, he deserves to have the ball held against him. If he sends 2 guys down the pitch after my ball carrier even if I have 3 guys protecting him I will score. I'm not gonna take any chances with it. I need the points. If he wants to use the closest players on his team to assist on a foul and leave my ball carrier some cushion then you better believe I'm gonna get some blocks in next turn and hold the ball to spite him. I don't believe that's "cheesy" at all. It's usually the opponents choice(unless of course he doesn't have many players left on the pitch.)

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

If the opposing player isn't gonna send somebody after you, he deserves to have the ball held against him.

I agree with this. Largely, I think it's a matter of "who started it." So if you are 3 squares from the end zone, move up two, and decide to stall, then I think your opponent is justified in ignoring your ball carrier and trying to beat on you, given that you're doing the same to him.

But if you are 6 squares away with your Orc Thrower, and you move 5 and decide not to GFI, and THEN he ignores you...well, you're right to stall if you want. Me, I'd hit him first and THEN stroll in, but I'd definitely hit him first :evil:

-Chet

Larry The Zombie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Larry The Zombie »

Though i usually play with runny teams i would probably have to be biased and say that this is beardy :) . But thinking about it, nothing can be more frustating than seeing a pointy eared warrior or gutter runner for that matter score in the final one or two turns so it just a counter tactic for those slower teams.

If you think of the evil teams in the old world like chaos, undead or dark elves for that matter if they had the game in hand and saw that there td was being unchallenged, then its time to cause as much damage as possible : : . They wouldnt just walk in the td and say 'Well we thought we'd be fair and score a touchdown now so u pansy elves can score next turn. ok?' These races thrive on massacring so if they have the oppurtunity, theyd take it!

This is just playing the game within the background of the game so really if my opp does use this tactic, though i will be frustated ill try my damn hardest to stop them. Hey just think how great it would be to actually get to the boy and blitz him onto his ample poisterior. Having a blokey with leap up not that fair away perhaps? :wink:

Larry says 'The best way to stop those pansy elves is to kick 'em in the knackers.' :)
EviLAnt99
Rookie
Rookie

Post by EviLAnt99 »

:evil: it's BLOODbowl.. not SCOREbowL! i run Chaos Dwarf and if i have the chance to pound some helpless team into sap then im gonna do it! and if it comes around back to me and i get pounded into sap then o well! better to regret something u have done than something u havent! so go ahead! sit on that line!

The only thing worse than a dumb hobgoblin is two dumb hobgoblins, but i'll take the two anywho!
Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

It dep[ends.

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

If you are playing against a team that can score easily in 1 or 2 turns, the score is tied and it's turn 6 of the 2nd half then it's not really a beardy thing to do, especially if you don't make a habit of it, but...
if you hold off on scoring the TD every time just so you can squeeze in a couple more casualty points it lame. You have to ask yourself, "Am I playing this game for fun or to win?"
If you're playing to win then you need to go outside and get a life. Try Staples cuz I hear they have everything.

SixFootDwarf
Experienced
Experienced

Post by SixFootDwarf »

EvilAnt...bro...that's just what they call it.

What is the object of the game? The ultimate goal?

Answer: score more TDs than your opponent. Oh, I'm all for killing everything is sight! My goal every game is to make my opponent have to restart his team. I'd run my team up into the crowd to kill if the rules had a contingency for this. But murdering the other team is a means to an end...namely to take away their ability to score while maintaining yours.

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

I voted Yes...

I get kinda annoyed at coaches who do this. From a tactical point of view, it's better to wait, but oh so beardy.. And as so many others, I've done this as well, but I've changed my stance on this and never do this anymore. Although, if my player has to make a gfi, or any other dieroll which could result in a turnover, I don't take the risk unless I'm in a pressured situation.

That being said, I don't really see how to prevent it.. By forcing coaches to do the TD if they can get to the endzone without any dierolls, you'll just make them place the ball carrier conveniently one square further away from it than their Ma range.. Or even adopting other, more hard to spot, tactics to delay the TD...

And while on the subject of beardiness... How do you all feel about those "last turn passes" to train the passers? I frown a bit at coaches doing them and keep away from that kind of thing too. I only attempt passes when I have something to gain from it...

-- Christer

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

SixFootDwarf wrote:Oh, I'm all for killing everything is sight! My goal every game is to make my opponent have to restart his team.
Seems a good way to keep friends. :lol:

Martyn

jeffzimm1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeffzimm1 »

@SixFootDwarf:

I just miss a good old pitch invasion where you really got create some carnage. It was always a sign to add some more "blood" to the pitch after a successful slaughter. 8) [/quote]

"Never, NEVER, disturb a Minotaur while he's eating!"

Coach Tad Bloodthrasher after he tried to get his Starplayer to get his mind back on the game. (He was lucky. He only lost an arm).
ScottTBBF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ScottTBBF »

Ball control offense is a time-honoured and respected part of American football. Why shouldn't it be a part of Blood Bowl?

It's only 'beardy' to the teams that get pounded on by orcs/dwarfs/etc. and then can't break through to get the ball. By and large, if the slow/hard teams try to play the elven game, they usually get hosed.

How is it cheesy to play in a different style than your opponent might like? Personally, I think that a dwarf or orc team that tries to play like elves or skaven are simply deluding themselves.

It doesn't matter how many TDs you get... it matters who has the most at the end of the game. If you're not playing to win, I can respect your decision to play "solely for the love of the game" but I would resent an attempt to get me to follow that philosophy. Actually playing to win adds a strong element of drama and tension to the game IMHO.

Cheers,
Scott