Am i just Beardy?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Is it beardy to hold the ball on the edge of the endzone and not score for a turn or two?

Yes, score now b4 i slap u!!
13%
More or less but i can live with it
22%
Not really but it should not happen often
18%
No, its never beardy its just what u have to do sometimes!
47%

Total votes: 55

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Am i just Beardy?

Post by sean newboy »

Well u read the poll. Heres my belief. If i have a Chainsaw (sw roll 8+) i want my drive as long as possible, same rulea apply against teams with 9+ mv players. What do u guys think? Is it beardy to hold the ball on the edge of the endzone and not score in order to get some hits or keep your oppenents from being able to score?

Reason: ''
Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Twist
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Twist »

A common tactic of goon teams, ie. Dwarf, Orc, Undead, Chaos. Are you a slow moving goon team? I know for a fact Dwarves/Chaos have to play the clock to beat teams like Wood Elves and Skaven. Plus, you need the time to bash them into submission for a while, take away the scoring threat players. I totally understand. I play Skaven and DEs. :P Whats the point of working soooo hard for a TD when they are gonna tie it up in 1 or 2 turns? Do what you want, man. If I don't wanna get bashed, I'll stay away from you.

Twist.

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

I usually do it with my orc team but i did it once with a speed team(robots) against chaos halflings after i ko'ed Yum.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

This is a good question.

My basic answer is its fine... let your opponent try and get the ball back. However, if you have already bashed him into the ground - say he has 7 or less players on the pitch, then I think it is very beardy. I suppose a better way of putting it is - if you out play your opponent or your opponent plays badly so that he can't get to your ball carrier, if the scorer to be wants to dance about near the end zone that's fine. On the other hand if the opponent has tried hard and taken a beating and has no chance of getting the ball back due to lack of playing staff then its not on.

Dave

Hedgehog
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hedgehog »

I don't particularly like it: it's intensely annoying to know your opponent is denying you the chance to score by not scoring himself... it seems to go against the intended spirit of the game. After all, if you were a blood bowl player, you'd score the first chance you could get...

I can understand why people do it, but I've never done so myself.

You can't have everything; where would you put it?
SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Complete no-no

Post by SBG »

I think it's totally unsportsman (is that the correct word? I meant anti-sportif, for those of you fond of Molière's speach). Even though you have a goon team (I play a Chaos Dwarf team myself), I don't think you should do this. Score when you can, hit when you can, foul when you can, heck! Foul with seven assists if you like, you can do it! But please, get the hell in that end-zone! :pissed:

Players on the pitch can be totally non-abiding players, but coaches should at least use a minimum or fairplay. Remember it's often your friend sitting in front of you...

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I have been guilty of this....

The details, for the jury's consideration.

Final game of the regular season. My dwarfs against Dark Elves. Winner goes to the semi finals, loser stays home.

He recieves and scores quick (2 turns). He started with 9 players and got reduced to 7 or 8 in the scoring process. Thanks to a series of incredible botched rolls on both teams, I score with a little difficulty in the last turn of the half.

I recieve. I play the "I have more guys: pitch clearing time." tactic. I want to be SURE of the score. I reduce his players on pitch to three. He has four in the KO box. Seven dark elves can be a dangerous proposition for a team as slow as dwarves, especially when the favoured offensive tactic in my league is the "everybody up one of the widezone lines", and if the game is a draw he goes through. I roll my gang of Blitzers and LOngbeards with a runner carrying the ball downfield, slowly making sure I leave no gaps. Turn 5....I have a totally impenetrable wall around a runner on the goal line. I have a choice: play the waiting game, win, and go to the play offs, or risk elimination thanks to a bunch of returning elves. Bear in mind I had already had a gang of 5 wood elves score on me at full strength once in the year. Also, I decide to get SPPs on a Longbeard, giving him a TD.

his turn 7 he suceeds in pushing my ball carrier into the endzone.
He now has no time to score.

Sure it was a bit of a cheat, but the play offs were at stake. Why should I throw away the work of beating on his team so bad I got the chance to be in that position, just to see all those 2+ dodges get him a score?

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Thadrin - I hear where you're coming from. But had you scored straight away and demolished the Dark Elves again - or at least held them off - your win would have been much more satisfying. I guarantee it.

Sure, you might have ended up with a draw. But your opponent failing all 4 KO rolls was just as likely as getting all 4 players back.

-Chet

Stav
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Stav »

well... I hold the ball for as long as possible regardless usually.
be it in my half or his half, it makes no odds, playing wood elves and scoring fast just gives teh other guy the opportunity to hold on to the ball.

If he's low on players and I'm feeling confident I might score fast and try to nick the ball off him next tho.

As for being beardy, well... it tends to upset the other coach, but hey, tis a strategy game (to some extent anyway) which means if something works, there's no reason not to use it.

Personally with woodies I dun think I'll be in a position where I have beaten the enemy team into submission and not left him enough players to get the ball back off me. Leaving tackle zones around to stop low agility players from geting my ball carriers just gets more of my players off teh pitch.

As for whether if I was a player I'd score straight away... well... think of team orders (lo Ferrari) think of whether many of your players would do stuff you made them do (see dwarf dodging, to score rather than kicking someone in, mummies making extra squares etc) You have a head coach for a reason, and that's to tell peeps what to do, and they always listen (apart from the big guys) :)

Stav
Fury member

Zy-Nox
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Zy-Nox »

Unfortunately I have done this, :( But my reason is this,
If my opponent isnt even going to try to get back and nail the ball carrier to prevent the score,then I'll wait a bit longer :evil: Its like, they think 'oh i'm gonna concede this one and just beat up his team a while' when its completely apparant that with a bit of effort they could have stopped me from scoring,so ,Hey I prolong the agony :zzz:
It did backfire one time when in the last turn I just had to cross the line to score but instead I went for a 3d block and tripple skulled with no re-rolls left(the game was tied) :pissed: So playing that way kinda bit me on the grass :oops: hehe

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

I make no apologies for admitting that this is a regular tactic i use when playing with any hard hitting team, particularly if i am playing to win. If its a friendly/exhibition match then sure i'll run it in.
However, beardy or nmot this is one tactic that actually gives hard hitting teams some defence against a quick repost from the faster agile teams, whats the point in scoring , then giving those damn elves/Skaven time to equalize then start the 2nd half with the ball.

No thank you

Haar
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Haar »

If you can manage to do that, it isn't too beardy. In most games I have seen, though, it is tough to actually hold onto the ball right there consistently. Even though you have a strength advantage, other teams can force your hand a lot if they line up right. The key there is you aren't moving, so you have a lot less flexibility in your block/blitz strategy. If they're down to just a few guys, then by all means sit on the ball. If you can do it, it is your right. You might as well ask if it is beardy to score in one turn with that gutter runner you have all mutated up. You've gotta go with what you do best.

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

really, it's sound tactics, but it's poor gamesmanship... in the end, my impression of someone doing this to me has everything to do with how they act while doing it.... coaches who taunt and gloat, "i'm gonna run out the clock and there's nothing your pathetic team can do about it!" have been asked politely to never play in our group again... coaches who admit that it's crap "i hate doing this, but it's really teh best thing for my team" are given a bit of ribbing, but we all understand, and have all done it too...

so, the moral of the story, play the game as you must play the game, but be a decent enough guy in the process...

iron chef kosher
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

i dont feel this beardy. When i play my gobbos, i am always happy if i can loose 1 turn like this. In tournament that could give you the victory.
So this is tactical and not beardy (exept if you foul like a mad guy...)

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Trambi

Post by Trambi »

I agree with Longshot point of view. It's sometime useful for hard teams against fast teams.

Ogres are the only true Blood Bowl players !
Ogrewomen are the only true BB Cheerleaders !