Where do you kick the ball?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Where do you kick the ball?

Post by neoliminal »

I've started kicking the ball rather deep, with good effect. Here's an exmaple:

Code: Select all

Line-of-Scrimage
----------------------------- 
. . . .|. . . . . . .|. . . . 
. . . .|. . . O . . .|. . . . 
e-n-d-z-o-n-e
The ball can end up very very deep, I've had two occasions where it's ended up in the corner.

Where do you put the ball?

Reason: ''
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

One of my first skills is always Kick for a Lineman, I kick the ball deep as well.

The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
NightDragon
Legend
Legend

Dawg Kicks

Post by NightDragon »

Against slow teams I kick deep, against fast teams I kick short, from a D.Elf point of view. But these are general points it does depend on his set up.

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

In general, I'll kick the ball in the center of the pitch if my opponent hasn't used an asymmetric setup on offense. I dont' like to risk OOB kick-offs, as it removes the potential for a turnover.

Kick is nice. I usually kick it towards the open hole if I have it; deep, otherwise, two squares up and in from one of the end zone corners.

-Chet

Zy-Nox

Post by Zy-Nox »

I usualy go dead center and seven in from the endzone,this way I cant get stung by bad kicks(hopefully),I have an uncanny nack of rolling a lot.When somebody gets the kick skill then its wherever is open, and I can exploit :evil:

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Symetric set up, normal situation, I'll usually go central.
Sometimes I'll vary depending on which race I'm playing and the situation. Two turns left to score or a full half?
It's no good kicking deep against Woodies if you're playing Dwarves for example. Reverse the teams and kicking deep makes sense though.
I've seen people kick deep and roll a blitz, and I've seen desperate people kick short, call the 10, roll the 10 and get under the ball.
So just how long is a piece of string?

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

I tend to kick towards the center as well, im too good at giving away touchbacks.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

in a different vein, once I have a player with kick I aim to get it on the LOS away from his players but near mine so that he has to GFI to pick up in TZ's it has come off 3 out of 4 now so not a bad tactic.

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Back to first principles you have to establish exactly what you are trying to achieve with the kickoff. By trying to place the ball in a particular way you are trying to force the opposition's field position into a particular pattern for the beginning of your first defensive turn. The question then becomes one of how do you want that field position to look.

A rule of thumb that works well for me is, as dawg mentioned, to kick deep to slow teams and short to fast teams.

Slow teams work best when in a pack, by kicking deep you separate their hard hitting linemen from their fullbacks, forcing them to either make a risky play to move the ball up to the line quickly (turnover opportunity) or keep their fullbacks deep giving you a turn to interpose your passblockers and diving tacklers in between the front line and the backfield. This limits their backfield movement and splits their team up, opening the game up. If you're a fast team this is a Good Thing[tm]. But may not be your cup of tea if you're a slower, bashing team.

Against faster teams who can move the ball the length of a half in one turn, kicking short is often a good option. This pulls their fullback closer to the front line and prevents them from getting their team too spread out. With woodelves I generally kick very short to the weak side and set up linelves with passblock up close to the line. Often as not I will be able to interfere with any pass attempt to move the ball to the safety of the backfield or the pocket.

Kick is always my first lineman skill, it's too useful for regaining the initiative off kickoff to ignore.

Marcus

Mad Makz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mad Makz »

It really depends on what I want to achieve. As a Skaven player I usually go central, as if they get a touch back I am screwed (never strong enough to ensure the ball carrier will go down unless the team is also a relatively weak team).

If I am ahead on points and have already totally pounded their line of scrimage I might kick short, try and break through with a linerat or Stormvermin and try and spread the SPP's around a little, rather than giving an already tooled up GR another touch down.

But ultimately it's a split second decision for every line of scrimmage with me, gut feeling rather than a real tactical consideration.

Mad Makz

Proud member of the City Guard

http://go.to/cityguard/
SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

Without Kick in my lineup : central.
With Kick : deep corners.

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

I am the touchback king.

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

It doesn't matter where I place it because I almost always get a touchback. It's amazing! You've never seen anything like it! I AM the Touch Back King!!!!!!!!!!