How to use an elf with guard

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

How to use an elf with guard

Post by martynq »

...or indeed how to use any reasonably mobile player with guard.

Deathwing (Woody) made the comment at the end of our MBBL match that he was surprised how little my elf with Guard came into the match. Clearly I'm not using him appropriately. Any suggestions on using this guy?

(At the moment, a player with guard is just a decoy. My opponents think he's going to be a threat so focus their attention on him, whereas in reality I'm really clueless on how I use him. :lol: )

Cheers,

Martyn

Reason: ''
Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Well I would leave your Guard player towards the rear when defending (but within reach of the front-line) and use him to add assists to make those all important blocks.

When attacking its the same but keep him nearer the front-line. If you are going for a 2 turn score, make sure that he can move to assist the player blitzing a hole for the ball carrier to run through.

The worst thing you can do is put him on the line of scrimmage or leave him so that he can be hit hard. So assist and block the opponents player away from your Guard player. This may mean that there is still at least one more player next to your player with Guard.... but he gives another assist - so repeat the process!

Dave

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Like Dave says. Use him as a sandbag, throw him into wherever u need an assist and cant add a non guard. If he is merely the first of several guards u will have (orcs or dwarves) use him on the line but if he is like u said on an elf team (ack ptooie) then keep him away from the los most times. Elven Guards should be as free to move as they can be.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
NightDragon
Legend
Legend

Personally

Post by NightDragon »

I always use them to either help protect the thrower or help protect your catchers. I would never put them in the front line.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I can't see the problem with front line on offence, esp. if you're not facing ST4 or anything.
Assuming your opponent (like I did in our game) sets up 3 ST3 players adjacent on the line, why not?

That either gives you 3 x 2D Blocks, or 2 x 2D Blocks and dodge away to support your ball handler on a 2+.

Either way, Guard gives your 3 players the edge over my 3 players, and I like those odds! :D

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

thats only true on offense (recieving), if its the other way around i will just hit your guard first with my best blocker, then u get nothing and he may be gone for a while. U just make him a target that way.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
NAF Member #4329
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Deathwing wrote:I can't see the problem with front line on offence
:roll:

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

duh sorry, tho i still would not put him in the middle but the sides so he can guard the dodge and help someone else.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
NAF Member #4329
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Putting him in the middle helps both guys on the outside though. Throw the outside Blocks first and you've used Guard twice without taking an action! He's still free to Dodge away, throw a Block or whatever.
It was just one example of one situation where martyn could have made better use of Guard in the game we just played.

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

Dangerous Dave wrote:The worst thing you can do is put him on the line of scrimmage or leave him so that he can be hit hard.
Ah, that's the worst thing I could do? Oh, I was doing that all the time... and I was doing it when kicking too. :(

Hmm, perhaps I should stop doing it, then I'll no longer be doing the worst thing. What's the second worst thing? :)
Deathwing wrote:It was just one example of one situation where martyn could have made better use of Guard in the game we just played.
Most kind of you not to say "one example of one of many situations where..." there Deathwing!

Martyn

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

when does a guard player is usefull?
In def
when there are a lot of players around the one you want to blitz, so put him midfield and see where your opponent will go, then put him there with some of his friends :)
In off,
=>for race, let him next to your carrier.
=>For pass, scrimage line (only to crush some opponent). or near your receiver or thrower.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I was lucky enough to get +1MA on one of my Blitzers.
What's his next skill? obviously its guard: it makes him a perfect bodyguard for my AG5 Runner.

As soon as I get that guard skill, I'll be able to trundle down the pitch, and if I can do it right I'll be facing 2 dice, my choice blitzes on my ball carrier.

Throw in the fact that if I then get him something defensive - tackle or pass block maybe - it makes him a real pain in the butt for opponents in my < censored - discussion of my favourite defensive tactics delayed until after the 'dam invitational >.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

you should have a double for a Dragon warrior to get Guard, dont you?

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

I'm confident Thadrin is referring to his Dwarf team.

-Chet

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I am indeed Chet...but I think the principle can be applied to anyone, and in my case the fact that my Blitzer can keep up with my Runner helps.

With a team that needs only two turns to reach the endzone like elves, which position you use as your bodyguard is less important. With the new allowance of 4 Lion Warriors (pah....Catchers!) this is even more true. Develop two as recievers and two as bodyguards who can also act as emergency recievers.

Guard on a downfield bodyguard makes it that much tougher for your opponent to get that key TD stopping Blitz. This could be considered even more important when your playing a team that goes crunch easily like elves.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.