What do you give a Gutter Runner who has everything?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

What should my Gutter Runner's next skill be?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 04, 2002 1:59 pm

Sure Feet
63%
Leap
6%
Other (please explain below)
31%

Total votes: 16

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

I agree, it's just that any time I see a 1 Turn TDer they are always sitting out and you can never get to the little buggers. I usually have one guy dedicated to gross-dodgy-git killing, right now on the Stormhammers I have a Blitzer with Piling On and Tackle who will shortly get Mighty Blow. If he does come on the field he will feel pain... ;) But usually, playing agaist a developed team I can't count on enough injuries to force him on the field. I used to be more blood thirsty but I guess I am getting old or something!

Reason: ''
The TBBf is back! http://tbbf.obblm.com/
Devil's Advocate
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the help!

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! It looks like he'll get Sure Feet.

And you've given me some great ideas for the other three Gutter Runners!

Thanks again!

Twist
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Twist »

Speaking of defensive Gutter Runners.... Two words: STRIP BALL.

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Imo the best defensive gr takes block, tackle and strip ball, or dauntless in there, shadow is a good one too.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

I'm up with the sure feet idea. Not just for 1 turn scorage, but also just to make ample use of sprint.

Ideally you want the guy bubblewrapped on the reserves bench until an offensive drive but if and when you need to play him on defence he can still make more effective use of his sprint skill and his extra movement with sure feet. Having your 1 turner fail a gfi on a defensive drive is tantamount to suicide. Having a player who can move 13 essentially at will covers a multitude of defensive possibilities however.

Marcus

Mad Makz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mad Makz »

I'm a big fan of the block, dodge, sidestep combo on a gutter runner. Makes them hard, hard enough to even stand up right on the halfway line. Used that to great effect against a minotaur when we were playing 4th ed rules, his frenzy forced me halfway down the pitch in his own turn, ended up with a one turn touchdown even though HE was recieving (so I got lucky, the dark elf thrower failed to pick up the ball, turnover and I was home and hosed. :) )

But the idea was more for reliabilty, pass that sucker the ball and well, he may not score in one turn, but he was hard to be sacked. And if they screwed up the sack and just pushed him back, he got closer to a touchdown.

Block makes him a safe bet on the defense too. I mean, if everything has gone awry and the opposition is about to score, and only your super fast gutter runner can make it to the ball carrier, your odds of doing anything useful are a heck of a lot better if you have block when you are throwing those 2 dice blocks against. I mean, little point in knocking down the ball carrier if you can't retrieve it and are going to cause yourself a turn over in the process.

Another nasty trick could be jump up. It's amazing how people will mentally gloss over the guy they just knocked down, thinking theres no way he can score from that far out. Then he jumps up for free, runs 10 and sprints 3 more, and you've scored from lieing on the pitch on your own halfway line. Of course, that's a bit of a one trick wonder. It might what I'd give my GR after block and side step (providing no doubles rolled). That way as long as he made it into the opposition half, he could pretty much score as long as he was on the pitch.

Mad Makz

Proud member of the City Guard

http://go.to/cityguard/