Is a minotaur worth it?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

NightDragon
Legend
Legend

CD's

Post by NightDragon »

I take it you like CD's. You have 2 Centaurs and a Minotaur?! Wow, is that because Hobbos are so useless? I have always felt that CD teams are doomed because the idea is great, strength combined with some agility and speed, but then you look at the Hobbos and what do you see, pushovers who can only take general. Anyway it is good to see someone really in to their team. What is their name and what are their colours? Laters DD.

Reason: ''
Lahatiel
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lahatiel »

They're not completely useless... only 85% useless ;) And all the guys are cheap enough (even bull centaurs and minotaurs, relatively speaking) that there's no reason not to start with them. I'm taking 2 bulls, 1 mino, 5 CD's, 3 hobbos, 2 RR's and 6 FF. That means the FF is halfway decent, I only have 1 more CD to get anyway, and my RR's are still cheaper to add later than a bull or mino would be. Besides, then, look at this defensive line-up: 3 CD's with block, thick skull, and AV9 on the LoS. Another CD in each wide zone with their block and tackle, each joined by a bull centuar with ST4 and the ability to move 9 squares with relative ease should the play go the other way. The 3 hobbos just need to back up (or is that hide behind?) the CD's on the LoS, and then the mino makes for one hell of a deep rover. Seems fairly formidable to me :)

As for the the other team info, I hadn't realized I'd been speaking in past tense about them. I haven't actually played a game with the CD's yet, and as such I haven't decided on a paint scheme yet, or team name. The problem is I need to find a scheme that I'll like on them that I haven't used already on one of my other 5 teams; can't have any duplicates now! As for the name, I'd been going to go use the Golden Horde and a Mongolian theme, but if I did that I'd want gold as the primary color, not secondary, if I did that, and I just don't think that would look good on them. So the search continues. Currently under consideration is black and blue, but I'm afraid it will be to close to my Dark Elves (who are blue and gold similar to the Darkside Cowboys, but have black skin and white hair like AD&D Drow).

But yes, the role-playing aspect is great fun for me, so all of my teams have fight songs (several, usually; all of which I've compiled onto a special BB CD), stadium names, etc. Name the coaches, name the cheerleaders (as a squad, not the individuals), etc.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

IMO, the CD team has become a lot better with 2K1!
As mentioned before, I've recently hosted a resurrection style tournament with 29 teams participating.

All 3 CD teams ended up in the top 8! (All 3 were knocked out be me 8))
More than 1 coach present described them as one of the new power-teams.

So - don't laugh at Hashuts finest :o
Martin :)

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

CDs won our BB2K1 league that recently finished...they won their semi 1-0 (over my Dwarves) and the final 1-0 (over an EXTREMELY good Wood Elf team.)

They had a mino....and, as is typical, he messed up a block just after I'd BHd his "Leader".

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

Guys, you so sold me the idea of a Mino that he is now first on my shopping list! Other teams in my league will hate you! Since I'm already winning most of my games without one, imagine the power of my team with the two Bull Centaurs and the Mino ! :lol:
Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Name the coaches, name the cheerleaders (as a squad, not the individuals), etc.
If u were naming individual coaches and cheerleaders i think it would be unanimous that u have way too much time on your hands. But then we once had a coach with 75+ ass coaches (we fixed that problem, nipped it in the bud).

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

A Minotaur always worth it.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
jeffzimm1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeffzimm1 »

I LOVE Minotaurs! If I feel that they fit on a chaos team they are in there.

There's nothing like the look on your opponents face as you begin to describe to him how his star player's bones are being ripped apart to get at the marrow.

IMO the Minotaur combined with a punishing attack can just devastate an opponent not just on the pitch, but his morale also.

"Never, NEVER, disturb a Minotaur while he's eating!"

Coach Tad Bloodthrasher after he tried to get his Starplayer to get his mind back on the game. (He was lucky. He only lost an arm).
christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

The minotaur is the reason I got myself a CD team in the first place. I absolutely love the model!! And I wouldn't even consider playing CD's without it on the roster.

That being said, the minotaur totally sucks and will ruin alot of games for you... Until you learn how to handle it. And even then, you'll probably lose a game or two once in a while, due to the instant turnover waiting to happen it represents.. But you'll have alot of fun ravaging through your opponent.. :)

Just a friendly tip.. First skill: Block... There's no way I'd pick anything else on it, as it will save you whole bunch of turnovers... For the second skill (yes, it'll take alot of time to get there), I don't have a clear choice.. tackle is always nice to get rid of those annoying catchers (you _are_ playing it as a defensive player, aren't you?)..
Piling on might be fun, as it would get rid of a few two-die blocks against you, but probably not a good idea as a mino on its back is a clear foul target.. Especially with 8 AV..
Guard perhaps?.. Break tackle to allow you to blitz a ballcarrier behind protection perhaps? Pro would probably be very nice... Lots of possibilities...

-- Christer

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Be very careful with Break tackle its virtually useless if the Mino is standing next to a player as wild animal commits him to block , and even if he does get free, then you are commiting him into opposition territory where he can easily get surrounded and cause you further embarrassing turnovers.
keep him deep in your half on defence, use the BC's to blitz any ball carriers. and use the Hobgoblin with Dirty player to foul their ball carrier when he's down.

" Durin Rockflame grinned maniacally as the rivulets of blood from the human thrower coursed through his knuckles. It had been a good day and the bodies of the fallen lay before him, writhing in agony. Then once more to the breach, he gathered his thoughts and his mind turned to the one remaining catcher, who was the last threat to the Dynamo's."

NightDragon
Legend
Legend

What is so great...

Post by NightDragon »

CD teams are good?! Why? I will need some persuading here.
1. They are not a pure running team and so are not as effective in this.
2. They have no natural catchers so have to rely upon luck.
3. Same but with throwers.
3. They are not fast.

Pretty poor starting point, and a long way to catch up. Laters DD.

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Usually DD only people that are good with dwarves are good with cd's. Personally i find them too simplistic, there are only a couple ways to run them. Most teams have a much greater variety in what u can do with them.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
NAF Member #4329
Canbacon
Experienced
Experienced

Minotaurs

Post by Canbacon »

I have a Minotaur in my CD team, and he turned out to be the player in our league who caused the most casualties! In one game, he even managed to kill a mummie, so there you have it!

I'd say the most important thing is the fear factor for this player. I keep the Mino in midfield and let him charge around with a Hobgob or Bullcentaur. I add a few sound effects and yell "Mighty Blow!" after a successful block. Yeah, sounds stupid, but just see the facial expression of your opponent change when you take one of his catchers down!

So far, turnovers havn't been much of an issue. It's always important to keep yourMino getting into a tight spot. But with sufficient fear, nobody will risk getting near your Mino in the first place.

A Troll is an interesting alternative, since he can beef up the line of scrimmage and free up a position for a CD. Get him block, then Piling On
and off you go. Contrary to the Mino, the Troll can take good care of himself.

If your manage to get the ball to your Mino and flank him with two bull centaurs, then you will have a steamroller charging all the way through to the endzone!

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

But with sufficient fear, nobody will risk getting near your Mino in the first place.
The best way to deal defensively with a Mino is to swarm him, not to let him run rampant like a bull in a china shop.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
NAF Member #4329
AkwaDuk
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AkwaDuk »

The best spot is just back from centre behind the two bull centaurs, this way your not turning over before you get the ball when receiving (sometimes), but when kicking you can send him straight for the ball carrier and attempt to maul him until he is persuaded to return the ball, still bull centaurs are far better!