A couple of newbie tips...

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

christer
Star Player
Star Player

A couple of newbie tips...

Post by christer »

I'm sure alot of you people know about these (or have considered them anyway), but I thought I'd post them anyway.. I'm sure there's someone out there who wouldn't mind a few hints...

Oh, and if you have hints of your own, please share them.. I know I'd be happy to read what other coaches think is important :)

Here goes:

#1 - Rolling dice is a Bad Thing(tm). Avoid it as much as possible.
You'll just end up spending your rerolls, or worse..
Seriously though, move all players which you don't need to accomplish your short term (ie, the current turn) plan first if they don't need die rolls.

#2 - Make your opponent roll as much as possible
Ofcourse, this doesn't mean you should put your gutter runners up against block/tackle dwarves... Forcing your opponent to dodge is always very nice... Especially if you have any combination of tackle, diving tackle and shadowing.

#3 - Never, ever reroll a pushback
Ok, so I tend to break this rule alot, but most of the time it's pointless.. Especially since we have a house rule limiting team rerolls to 2 (yes, two).

#4 - Know yourself
Make sure you know your own strengths and weaknesses. Study your own games and how other players play the team. Try to find common positions, both good and bad, noting how they appeared. Also, keep track of how the play continues from those positions. Knowledge of variations of play is a very good thing.

#5 - Know your enemy
Try to play at least a couple of games with all teams. Get a feel of the weaknesses of the teams.. Then look at how other (more experienced) players handle these weaknesses

#6 - Plan ahead
Don't for a second think that it was just a lucky coincidence that your opponent happens to have that player with strip ball just where you want to move your ball carrier... Make sure you plan for quick lashbacks due to a failed pass or whatever (see #1)

#7 - Outnumber your opponent on your intended path of attack
Also, try to make your opponent spread out their troops, moving away one player from your defensive box to a threatful position will force your opponent to follow with one (or two if you're lucky) player. This means it will be even easier to get through his defensive line.

-- Christer

Reason: ''
Piepgrass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Piepgrass »

Good idea with these tips.
I will pass along a few of my own hard learned lessons from years of BB.

1. ALLWAYS buy a apothecary as the first thing. Its simple math, any player on your team costs at least 50. K. and the special players(blitzers, catcer etc.) are even more expencive.
Saving the apo in the beginning to get something else, can easyly cost you a player and you will buy the apo later on anyway, might as well get himfrom the start.

2. ALLWAYS start with a FF of at least 7. ( I allways start with 8 or 9) Getting money fast is a priority if you want to build the team up. And allways refuse to play opponents with a low FF ,in the build up phase of your team, if you can avoid it. It aint worth it from a money earning perspective.

3. Learn to move the turn marker fast. Learn it the hard way. Find some sort of annying, painfull or embarrising thing you have to do whenever you suffer a turnover in this fashion. Its far better to feel pain ofr be the layghingstock now when you are new, thait is to lose a critical game because of this elemtary mistake. (this may sound extreme, but a turnover caused by the turnmarker is unforgiveable. It cant be blamed on bad luck or the other coaches luck, it is the ONE thing you have absolute controll over, so use it)

Best regards and good luck
Piepgrass

[size=150][color=red]VICIOUS[/color][/size]
The Copenhagen Wight.
neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

My advice.

Post by neoliminal »

Before you move anyone, imagine where the ball will be next turn.

There's a tendency for new players to chase the ball, and this often leads to a weak blocking scheme. I'll address both sides of the ball.

On Offense:

Mentally imagine where the ball will be at the end of your turn. Imagine where the blockers protecting the ball carrier will be. If these blockes are not currently engaged, move them to their positions first, (if possible). Remember to count the squares.

On Defense:

Mentally imagine where the ball could be next turn. There will be multiple moves the opponent can make. Take them each into account. One strategy is to put your player in the best square for the opposing ball carrier. You thus keep that player from occupying that square and simultaneously puts tacklezones around the area your opponent will want.

When you can see your opponents options for his next turn, you are much more likely to be able to keep him from executing his plan of attack.

John -

Pink Horror
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

A few of my own

Post by Pink Horror »

Attack Orthogonally - Retreat Diagonally

When you're chasing a player, you want to make it hard for your opponent to put blockers in the way. A horizontal or vertical path is harder to block because, with diagonal movement, you can essentially go around for free.

When trying to avoid a player, you want to be a diagonal direction away from him, because then there is only one shortest path. Going around will cost extra movement.

Set Up Bad Blocks for your Opponent

I like leaving my opponents with a bunch of one-die or two-die-my-choice blocks at the end of my turn. He can either dodge, take a bad block, or let me hit him on my turn. I really love doing this to the traditional strength teams - it leaves them with nothing to do.

Defend Against Follow-Ups

If you know one of your players will get blocked next turn (or next kickoff), and you can't risk or just can't try a dodge away, at least make following up a bad idea for your opponent by setting up some blockers for retaliation. Then the blocker either doesn't follow up, which lets your overmatched player escape, or he does, and you pound him. Lose-lose choices are the best choices to give your opponents.

Don't Stand Up If You Don't Have To

I played two games recently against Wild Animals. Each of my opponents got at least 5 turnovers from their Wild Animals because I kept picking on them. Maybe those animals should have taken dirt naps instead of standing for more punishment.

Pink Horror

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Forward Planning

If you have thought out complementary skill sets your team will function much better. So you should have a good idea before you even start exactly what skill combinations you want over the team as a whole and write them down. Its too easy after a game to forget to think about what skills you actually wanted to take.

Plan which players you want to buy so you know what your team will look like as it progresses - but ensure you have set stepping stones along the way as you aren't going to have 16 players after a couple of games.

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Wild animals

Post by christer »

.. And while on the subject of wild animals

* Wild animal players should never be left alone.

Make sure your opponent can't crowd the animal, forcing you to throw two-die blocks where your opponent chooses the die. This is usually done by setting up a wall of tacklezones around the minotaur.

And another one..

* Take more chances when you're behind.

Taking risks is a bad idea if you're ahead, but if you're in a losing position, you can benefit from taking a few risks, as it won't really matter if they go wrong and another TD against you is scored... But if you manage to pull off a risky manouver, you might tie the score or even win the game.. Nothing to lose, everything to win...

-- Christer

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

2 cents

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

The biggest mistake I've seen newbies make is assuming that they will always have 11 players on the pitch. If you never think about what to do when you have only 7 or 8 then you'll be lost when it happens.
Also, make a note of what a coach does when he sets up a certain way. Chances are if he sets that way later he's going to run the same play.[/i]

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Re: 2 cents

Post by martynq »

Pariah wrote:If you never think about what to do when you have only 7 or 8 then you'll be lost when it happens.
Oh I always think what I'm going to do where I have 7 players on the pitch... I'm going to lose! :roll:

Martyn :)

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

If you have thought out complementary skill sets your team will function much better. So you should have a good idea before you even start exactly what skill combinations you want over the team as a whole and write them down.

Come around to that way of thinking have you Ian? ;)

Marcus