New League anyone interested?

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

vorner23
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vorner23 »

Plantagenet is going to help me get it up this weekend...... and we'll try and get the website running too! Ooooh er!

I was thinking (darn it hurt) that we could do both formats.

How about this?
The league proper- divided into say 4 divisions hopefully.
Also an open league run seperately from the main one.

The set league I think I'd be happy with the 4 division format. Players are randomly split into divs at the start. Then after the first season, play each other twice. Which is 6 games. The 1234 are split into Premier 1,2,3 divs.

The open div, anyone can play anyone. (The only proviso is that it cannot be the coaches same team from the league, otherwise spp could be all out of whack.) These open matches could be based on whatever format is the most popular.

My only quibble with the 'jump' method is that all the higher teams will be challenged by the lower ones. The higher teams have nothing to gain from these matches except spp and injuries. I think it may result in people avoiding matches?

Coaches are not committed to playing in the open league unless they really want to.

So how about that? That would solve some problems and allow coaches that want to play loads of matches (Plantagenet!) to do so.

I really really want to keep the rounds method of the main league.... as long as we get coaches that are serious about playing BB we shouldn't have too much of a problem. Plus I can't see the website staying up to date if games are once per week. Once per fortnight is enough with BB gluttons playing to their hearts content in the open league! :lol:

Just to clear up the reporting method. As Grumbledook suggests the best way to get results is the erf file. This could be sent along with the updated html team document. By both coaches. The spp rolls could be done online by the team coaches. Using msn messenger, they can talk throughout the match and then do the rolls for each other for spp. There should only be about 2-3 rolls after each match anyway!

Cool, got a feeling that this league is gonna be really cool!!!

LETS HAVE MORE COACHES!!!!

Reason: ''
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Well the fairest way to do the skill rolls is to log onto irc and use a bot to do the rolls, then both players see the rolls and no fixing can go on.

Dinaturz
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Dinaturz »

how many coaches are already in???

vorner23
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vorner23 »

Post has been up for 2 days or is it less? And I think I we have 4 coaches already who are up for it.

Might be worth posting something in the General chat as not many people regularly check the PBEM forum.

Plus I know another coach who hasn't been contacted yet who might be interested.

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

Well the fairest way to do the skill rolls is to log onto irc and use a bot to do the rolls
If this is the way you want to go, I can provide you with the perl code for the bot I made that's taking care of skill rolls for FUMBBL.

-- Christer

FUMBBL - http://fumbbl.com
woodmeister
Experienced
Experienced

Me, me, me, pick me, pick me. I'll play, I'll play!!

Post by woodmeister »

I'd love to join in. This then gives all of you the opportunity to win at least one game.

Is there a wooden spoon prize? :oops: Engrave my name on it now please!

vorner23
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vorner23 »

Yeah that would be cool, much easier to have the rolls implemented by the pc.

Looks like we're up to about 6/7 coaches that have mailed me wanting to join.

More More!!!

Mr. Sanity
Rookie
Rookie

RE: preventing cheating die-rolling in post-game

Post by Mr. Sanity »

One solution for preventing the cheating aspect of rolls in the post game is to use Irony Games' secure email dice server. It will make dice rolls for you, and email the results to you and at least 1 other person. Also, the email is PGP-signed, so it is easy to verify if an email was tampered with.

The secure dice server is located at:
http://www.irony.com/mailroll.html

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

That does require waiting for email thought, it is a possability.

Mr. Sanity
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Mr. Sanity »

Grumbledook wrote:That does require waiting for email thought, it is a possability.
I've used it extensively in the past, and the emails usually arrive immediately.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

no email is instant, takes a few seconds ;]

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

What do you mean by java client? There are many tools available to play BB online, so you need to be more precise about the one you intend to use. Maybe even give a link to it?

Zy-Nox
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Zy-Nox »

Zombie wrote:What do you mean by java client? There are many tools available to play BB online, so you need to be more precise about the one you intend to use. Maybe even give a link to it?

Vorner is talking about Ski Junkies Java client.
Theres a whole big post on that in here with loadsa links
http://www.geocities.com/javabbowl

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]Hall Of Famer[/url]
Novice Heretic
Wielder of the Trout of Nuffle Slapping
"I hope this makes sense,most things make sense in my head, but not to other people"
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Thanks for the link. Looks like a mix between Tom Canon's Blood Bowl Internet and the BBirc program used by the OLBBL.

woodmeister
Experienced
Experienced

Ummm

Post by woodmeister »

Vorner and I tried it out last night for a bit of Undead vs Orc action and it worked a treat. The game was quick as all the admin is done by the programme and helps new players like me get to grip with the rules.

Just need see how easy it is to import a team via the HTML thingy and we're away....