MBBL2-Rd 5.

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Well Dave if its any consolation ... the dice hate me just as bad in my game of Frogs (Slann) vs Savage Orks. Both teams are what I referred to as skill concept teams ... all players on the Slann team have Leap and Very Long Legs ... all Savage Orks have Frenzy.

I've rolled 2!!!! Blitzes for my opponent which he has converted into TDs both times. Since I'm light on Dodge or Block, his team is knocking the snot of me with 3 and 4 dice hits (2 dice start with Frenzy follow-up). In fact, he has yet to skull out a block against me.

Meanwhile I'm failing 2nd GFIs 3 times during the match .... sorry JKL ... I'm never voting for the 2nd GFI to be 3+ ... no way at all.

So at the end of the 1st half ... its Savage Orks 2 ... Slann 0

However, the Wee Folk folk team that took PH's place against Jay's Wood Elf team are really tearing into them ... score is currently 1-0 and except for being completely unable to break AV 7 .... I'm average 3 to 5 knockdowns a turn and haven't broken AV YET!!! in 5 rounds ... I've got Jay on the run.

Galak

BTW, the skill concept teams in case anyone wondered (ie the team started with what happened if everyone had ??? skill)
Dodge: Amazon
Block: Norse
Leap, VVL: Slann
Tackle: Half-Orc
Guard, RSC: Chaos Halfling
Prehensile Tail: Fimir
Kislev: Jump Up

My 5 year son wants me to add a face to this post:
:wink:

Reason: ''
Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Dorks v Microcosmos

Well the Dorks managed to snaffle the ball after a hand off to the Quickling failed. Needing to run the length of the field and avoid the following Pixies, and the Poisoned Dagger, Stormin Formin the Norse catcher was just about to leg it when a Pixie pulled a ginormous bomb. Not sure where he was hiding it but it magically appeared in his hands. Amazingly the Pixie tried to light it and lob it.... the crowd said "he can't even lift it...." BOOM to noone's surprise it blew up in his face. End result - 2 dead and a fallen Tree. No Norse players where affected! From there the equalising TD was a stroll.

In O/T it was 8 Norse v 4 Trees plus 3 Pixies and a Satyr - so 8 aside. The Norse received and managed to keep the ball out of reach. A Tree KO'd one of the Norse players but the others manage to dodge away or knock their Trees over. With both sides getting the ref, the Norse blitzed the Satyr who was then fouled stunned. Basically the Satyr was fouled stunned every turn as Stormin Formin marched upfield for his 2nd TD. With the Satyr on the floor the only potential blitzers were Pixies! A courageous Pixie blitzed the Norse catcher with a 3 Dice defender's choice - ie needing 3 POWs to succeed..... he was brushed aside. So the Norse scrapped through 2-1 and have a record of 4 wins and a tie. Where's Da Beer got his 8th casualty of the season.

A passing Storm Giant watched the last few minutes of the game. He was heard to say "Play Offs?.... Gimme some of dat!....." :evil:

Dave

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

I wish I could have seen Dave's face when he saw his opponent tried to use The Big One! ... now as a commish of a PBeM Dave "might" have read the card before.

Dave had you seen the super bomb card yet or not ... I've talked with Dave about the match ... if Don had done a true kamikaze ... run the Pixie with the bomb directly at the ball carrier and dropped it at his own feet (which would most likely killed the Pixie) ... Don's Pixies would have taken the Norse and be headed for the playoffs.

Ah well ...if Don reads this I'm sure he'll understand that its easy for coaches to review PBeM files and go ...if only you had done X ....

The Norse seems headed for the playoff ... it will be fun to see a Storm Giant back in the league ... Anthony's retired before Season 2 without scoring a single casualty ... it will be interesting to see if Dave's is a berserker or push over as well.

Galak

P.S. Anyone who truely looks at the Norse MBBL2 roster will realize that I have a deep love of the Norse team, its history, and its fluff. The great thing about the Norse team in the MBBL2 is that I didn't "invent" any of it. I just pulled the most fun sounding rules from the history of the game. The original Citadel Journal team with a rookied version of the star player Snow Troll from that article ... ( http://www.midgardbb.com/BBMagArticles/OrgNorse.html ) ... mix in a little of the 3rd edition roster on the Catcher ... rename the Thrall to the Norse base name from the Man O' War game ... sprikle in the Storm Giant from 1st edition .... and presto the MBBL2 Norse team .... ..... the entire team is just a collection of the best parts of the Norse team from the history of Blood Bowl. I love the Norse ... now if I could get Dave to hire one Werewolf (ie Ulfwerner ) ally to the team ... I'd call it perfect.

Galak

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Well.... Don (my opponent) rather gave the game away in the email he sent:-

watch and enjoy...
i've done in one turn what you try to do since the beginning of the game! I
mean destroying my team!

So although I had no idea what happened, I knew my team was OK! I guessed he had tried to blitz my ball carrier and killed himself.

When I opened the PBEM file, all the events are there to see... ie my ball carrier still had the ball and none of my players had been removed from the field. I then saw that there were some missing Pixies.... and saw that the Grab Bag card had been used......

I hadn't read the card before.... there wasn't much I could do to protect against any of the cards.... I had to run my payer up the field quickly to equalise (with some help).... so rather than look at all the Grab Bag cards and work out strategies...... there was no point - ignorance is bliss!

If Don had done a kamikaze, I had 1 other player out of range within no GFI range of the end zone plus a further 2 who may have been in the quick pass range. So assuming that 1 of the players in range didn't fail his amour roll, all I needed was a pick up and hand off (with a reroll) with 2 turns to complete the pick up (a stunned result would have meant a pass). So yes - I may have failed... but it wasn't a game breaker. Although the O/T may have been more difficult!

As for the Werewolf, since I already have a position ally (Black Orc), unless I sack him (and in 11 games he has only 2 SPPs - very prolific!) the only available player is the Werewolf (7428 in changed form). He would be very useful as a defender in the back field but would only be available 1/3 of the time. A possible but not high on the list (Outrage and Break Tackle are not a great combination)... I need one more Blitzer first and another lino with Leader.....

A Werebear would be very useful.... but then 2/3s of the time I would have to put 2 Norse on the line..... IMO, with av 7 that is a recipe for casualties.

Dave

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

(Just after) Half Time report

Animal House (Khemri) v The Kaikans (Nipponese)

The Kaikans received and on the first drive pushed one of the 4 Mummies into the crowd. In a perfect display of Kendo, the crowd Seriously Injured the Mummy who was niggled (more on this later...). Leaving the Khemri to only blitz, King Kong (the Piling On Mummy) SI'd (-1 Move) a rookie Samurai.

The Nipponese tried to use their extra speed to stretch the defence. However, the pitch was playing really flat so no twisted bones occured from all the extra stretching the Khemri were doing. The 2 Ninjas went for it but GFIs and Guard allowed 2 dice on the ball carrier. A re-roll meant the ball carrier was down. No sweat - Ninjas are great at dodging... With only 1 3+ dodge required the first Ninja didn't make it out leaving the Khemri to gobble up the ball.

A typical Khemri drive followed. Those Block, Dodge, Stand Firm Tomb Guardians are a real pain..... A Ninja got his Tackle Zone on the ball carrier and he wasn't blitzed off. The Block, Dodge, Stand Firm Tomb Guardian dodged to hand off and was shadowed. Misreading the shadow roll, Brian continued and managed to score.... his Mummy didn't regen..... However, the Time Lords were present and the Tomb Guardian had to dodge again. He was successful and the hand off in a TZ to the other Blodge SF Tomb Guardian also worked. He dodged and GFI'd twice to score. The Mummy passed his regen roll :(

So 1-0 at Half Time. No more damage other than a KO against the Nippon team - the Khemri's av seems to be more than av 7 and for some reason King Kong's belly flops didn't have much effect.

The Kaikans kicked deep - right into the End Zone. The ball was retrieved and a quick pass lobbed upfield and caught. The 2 Ninjas tried to surround the carrier. However, having failed 2 dodges (out of 3) - Dodge skill and a re-roll used, the AG5 Ninja decided not to over stretch and GFI.

The Kaikans need to get the ball back quick...otherwise, all that Guard, and the Mummies' strength will mean another slow walk upfield.

The Assistant Coaches and Cheerleaders on the Khemri team have so far won rerolls at every kick off (ie 3).......

Dave

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Well the career of the Blackskull Bashers is over. Falks Crusaders won 2-1 when a rookie passer failed a dodge to get the ball and pass to Backstabber to tie in the last turn. Masher did not cast any spells due to a special play card and Slasher Jr did not cause any casualties at all in his career. Tho he did play out the whole game without getting sent off. Excellent game Dolganar.
P.S. For those interested I will be giving up my spot in div a for a slot in the MBBL.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Verminwarp are taking a real pasting against a Border Princes team. Just not enough players to compete.
Blood'n'Mud however are kicking some serious butt. Play-offs? Possibly...

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Well the Dynamo;s are holding there own against DLK ( Evil Gits )yet another higher rated team. This one with a stadium. A quirk has left me with no re-rolls at all thanks to the stadium and some damn doom and gloom card. But the upshoot is that DLK cant field their 3 best players, and three awesome players they are too. My tactics have been to let DLK have the ball and score, ( Not that i could have stopped them anyway )so that i am behind and therefor ehis 3 best players can't come back.
So 1 nil down i send my Bull centaur with block to blitz some puny Hobgoblin and Double Skulls( Great ) Instant turnover no-re-roll. Somehow The DLK fail to capitalize on this and i equalize in my 8th turn. Having rolled a nother set of double Skulls and failed a GFI aloing the way. :pissed:

therefore now in the second half i'm receiving, and his best three players are still out. :P I'm looking good for another 8 turn td for the 2-0 win when the ball scatters out from a bad kick and my bull gets the ball again, but no another failed GFI leaves him open and the ball scatters into the crowd after a few blocks and is thrown back in. Ok No problem, my Other Bull centaur can get up to the ball, and i can exert a few tackle zones on his players which will leave it still there for me to get to, but no this time the Bull fails yet another GFI with his sure feet skill as well. :puke:

I think i must be due a run of 6's and POW's soon, and somehow its still only 1-1.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Verminwarp are down 4-1 with only a couple of turns to go...just looking to get out with no SIs.
Blood'n'Mud have won 2-0..and had a good post game, FF Up, won 70K, purchased another CW..and best of all my CW spellcaster rolled a double for his first upgrade..took Spikes so AV back up to 9 thank you very much! :D
Guess I'm waiting on other results to see if they're play-off bound...

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

DW ... now you just need a couple conjure spells to dig up a Magic Helmet and you'll be all set.

Galak

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

GalakStarscraper wrote:DW ... now you just need a couple conjure spells to dig up a Magic Helmet and you'll be all set.

Galak
:D Long odds!
Incidently, my Gifted CW picked up the required cas. by way of a foul.

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Well the final game of Klinkers Tinkers is finally over, due to boredom with the team. After an annoying injury, I conceded the match and disbanded the team. The fat lady has sung and is currently eating a double whopper w/cheese meal with a Large diet coke in the lounge.Stay tuned for the next big team from Coach Newboy.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
NAF Member #4329
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Sean .... does this mean neither team is playing the Scramble???

Just checking.

Galak

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

Sean, I've received the file but not looked at it yet, since I'm stuck at work on a UNIX machine at the moment. :zzz: It's a bit of a shame that you've given up when I really thought that you were allover me and I was really going to struggle to win this one.

For the fans out there, the situation with the Tinkers vs. the Tomb Raiders was that the Raiders received, picked up the ball and prepared to distribute to ghoul receivers. The Tinkers succeeded in summoning a Grasping Tentacles of Altanson scroll and cast it on "Shifty" Cyril, the ghoul passer, so he could do nothing. The Raiders players tried desperately to provide some cover, but let's face it, the mummies weren't able to do much rushing. In the next turn, the Tinkers knocked over the ghoul ball carrier, but fortunately it bounced into the hands of my AG4 wight, who then succeeded in dodging twice, but failed to pass to safety. One of the Tinkers' Catchbots then managed to grab the ball, but was blitzed by a wight in the next turn, with only a pushback resulting. The ghoul "Plodder" Pete met his untimely end in this turn also, as he went-for-it to put a TZ on the catchbot, only to die as he fell over. Fortunately he was the ghoul without any skills. This then led to the turn where Klinkers stood a chance of scoring, but in the heat of battle a Blitzbot unwisely took on a mummy.

So a very exciting match so far!

Cheers,
Martyn

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Both teams are out of the Scramble. Martyn my last turn left me very vulnerable after that failed block, my guy was si'ed (-1 mv) after i used a reroll on the block. Replacing him (115k) is just more work than i wish to put into that team, especially with the new winning chart. The robot team in general was built around 3rd edition money and is, imo, severly compromised with the 4th edition (winnings chart and no sp cards). I was considering dropping them at the end of this round anyways and this was the final straw. Im just sick and tired of paying the exorbitant (my opinion) prices for robots. The 115k i mention is for the equivalent of an Orc Blitzer (80k).

Hermit Monk of the RCN
NAF Member #4329