MBBL Round 6

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Hey ... testing got rid of the +1 to the aging table ... through testing we weed out the stuff that's not so good or well received before the rest of the world has to deal with it.

The MBBL adds value to all of BB by helping throw out some of the junk .. the fact that we had to toss it around for a while is one of those sacrifices for the greater good ... :D

Galak

Reason: ''
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Given a large number of games, all such differences will wash out. Put a Dwarf team against a High Elf team, give each side 3 nigglers, and run 10 games. I bet the missed time evens out. Heck, I bet it works to the Elf's advantage. You're supposed to be on the pitch at the end of the drive to make the roll.

Alternately, we might try a halftime roll. But I don't think that's going to be enough.

-Chet

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Interesting that Chet said "given a large number of games"..is a 6 game season long enough to say that +1 to the aging roll doesn't have enough bite? How many players got to 3 rolls at 31 SPPs? 3rd and 4th increases is where the +1 aging will start biting.
Gotta say that even if Chet's right, the lower AV teams are going to pick up more natural niggles through injury. What would the numbers be if you've got 3 or 4 niggles on a Skaven team as opposed to 1 or 2 on a Dwarf team (which IMO is much more likely than a Dwarf team carrying the same number of niggles as an agility team)?

Hell, maybe I'm just bitching because I've struggled with 9 or 10 players all season, and the best player I've got picked up a niggle because of the +1 aging (rolled a 4 for aging on his second skill increase). :-?

Incidently, last turn of the game vs. the Yooniversity Orcs, and it's gonna finish 2-1 to the Heirs, so a 3 and 3 record for them , which isn't too bad after what's been a very testing season.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Hey, Deathwing, I've had to employ a pair of Freebooters. TWICE. Trust me, I know the feeling of playing shorthanded :)

As for niggles, I think the harsher rule is unnecessary because it shifts a lot of the burden back to players with 1 and 2 skills. Yeah, they're at risk now, but they're not significantlly at risk. We've looked at a few of the bigger teams under 2K1, and I'd bet that a better niggling injury penalty would have them turning over just enough players to keep them at or below threshhold.

Still, a D6 roll each half might be worthwhile. It would certainly keep any "I play such an such a style" arguments out of the discussion. But I think history shows that those arguments hold less weight than you or I would have thought.

"If fouls are limited, strength teams can't compete."

"If fouls are limited, speed teams have no recourse."

Etc. I think the difference between these teams is rather exaggerated.

-Chet

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Once a half would better IMO, that way the playing field remains level regardless of the different playing styles of coaches/races etc.

Could just be my preference. One of my favourite things about 2k1 is the lack of cards and wizards. Roll your niggles, roll and apply any handicap and 'what you see is what you get'. Game on, and then everything else from that point on is 'in-game' mechanics. Still, I guess I'm pretty much in the minority on that one, and given that Dirty Tricks etc. are going to reappear it's pretty much a moot point anyway! :D

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Fully agree with DW.

I much prefer a game where you have options which you can weigh up. Getting hit by Cards, Off Pitch Wizards, Pitch Invasions etc can seriously affect one team or the other - a coach has little he can do to prevent these occurences. I much prefer a game won or lost by good tactical play - sure the dice have a lot to do with it too (but weigh up the odds and you will do better over time). But adding additional niggle rolls per drive seems unecessary. At a pinch, roll once per half - you can really seize up in the locker room. If you are looking to beef up the impact of niggles, I much prefer a +1 to the injury roll per niggle. This is an in game effect - if you have a star thrower - keep him protected - he'll last longer. Have a defence that caves in and he keeps being sacked - sure his career will be very short. This way is much better than the step up on aging - which is a roll over which the coach has no control.

Just my 2p

Dave

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

I agree with Deathwing too.
It would be too hard try to plan your set up if you didn't even know if your guy was going to be in or not.
My orcs have been playing like girly elves and I really don't need to buy another damn blitzer.
The niggles are gonna affect mainly the third tier players. These are the player you rely on. If you can't rely on them then what good are they? You might as well fire them but then the lack of money is really gonna have ALOT of bite.
I've had 2 orcs die and one get a niggler already. My team is barely keeping it's positional players as it is.I alrady had to comprimise my 'no gobbo' policy. With this rule I'll probably be down ANOTHER blitzer with not enough money to get another one.

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

The Exiles (Chet's Amazon) v Gangrenettes (Undead)

The Gangrenettes received and The Exiles kicked a "Bad Kick" into a deep corner. A Mummy KO'd a Blitzer (AV 5!) and a skeleton BH'd a lino from a foul. A quick pass in the deep picked up another SPP for Lock Jaw the Veteran Ghoul. The Zons only had their blitz to trouble the Undead - A wight was pushed into a crowd and then knocked down. The pesky Zons surrounded the Wight and the Dirty Player waltzed over - the Wight was stunned.

The Undead steamed into the Zons but only a blitz was possible - the Mummy nearly tweaked a hamstring getting there but deposited the Dirty Player on the ground. Due to the number of Zons in close attendance, the Mummy did not Pile On so the DP was saved.

The Zons decided to fight not run... maybe they're not girls after all. A Mummy and a skele were knocked down but no damage sustained. The Undead caused less damage than the Zons.

A Wight was knocked over but overall no damage was done - A Zon blitzer tried to reach the 3 Ghouls with and protecting the ball but slipped over a discarded bandage whilst dodging.

All the fighting was going over on one side of the Pitch so the 3 Ghouls ran over to the over side - all on their own. A Mummy blitzer the Zon thrower and BH'd her from falling on top of her frail body. A Wight challenged the Dirty Player and knocked himslef prone.

A Blodge Ghoul was stunned and a lino went over to "cover" the 3 Ghouls with the ball. A couple of successful dodges followed before the same Zon Blitzer failed again... the commentators were heard to say..."I think they better sub her.. but the bench is looking a little lightweight..."

The covering Zon lino was blitzed and BH'd by a Ghoul.... Zon taste like chicken! And a catcher was knocked on her bottom.

A Mummy and Wight were stunned a Skele knocked prone.

A Mummy blitzed the Dirty Player and pushed her back.. a Ghoul scored.

So with 3 turns for the Zons to equalise in the first half - can they do it? They are down to their last 9 fit girls. The Undead are licking their lips in anticipation...... :D

Dave

Ghost of Pariah
Legend
Legend

Post by Ghost of Pariah »

My orcs went down again. We almost took a bite out of the Heir with a 7 assist foul on their dragon warrior but, sadly, I have recruited the sissiest orcs in the old world! A troll with 7 assists cannot even hurt an elf! Add that to the list of shame along with a death at the hands of a halfling!
I announce that from now until we kill another player (on the opposing team) the Hackeyez will be wearing pink unitards and leg warmers. The troll will also be given a tu-tu so he can be readily identifiable.

Traitor of the NBA!

I hate you all!
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Pariah wrote:My orcs went down again. We almost took a bite out of the Heir with a 7 assist foul on their dragon warrior but, sadly, I have recruited the sissiest orcs in the old world!
The aforementioned Heirs will be rolling over, and they have acquired their first LW and are back to a giddy 11 on the roster! 8)

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

Just all of u wait until the Dysfunctional Emotions chaos team joins. Tremble in fear!

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

Are they a new range of smilies?

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]
sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

No they are a chaos team. Besides i dont know how to make or animate smilies, on pbem using the picture files u could make a whole team have smily heads.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

The Damned Generation have taken the lead against the Badlands Raiders in their 4th turn of the second half. It was a typical witch elf pass to a line-elf who handed off to a witch elf, who scored... and no need to blitz either.

The score is 2-1.

Cheers,
Martyn

neoliminal
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by neoliminal »

Rolling at the start of each drive does create interesting effects:

1) High scoring teams are more likely to replace their nigglers... they can't afford to have them leaving later in the game.

2) Low scoring teams can ignore niggles as they do now, assuming they can force the other team to play low scoring as well.

3) When playing a team with lots of nigglers, it's better to score early, if possible.