MBBL2 Season 2 Playoffs / Scramble

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

I think I tend to play a little slower with PBEM than with tabletop, but only just. I reckon my PBEM turns are done in about 5 minutes, whereas in my local league uses 3 minutes turns.

I think one of the things that additionally affects how people do in PBEM is the quality of the coaches in the MBBL. Just because I do extremely well in my local league isn't going to cut it when thrown into a league containing Brian, Woody, Jay, Dave, Dolganar, etc.

Just to let you know how my scramble matches are going. The Waste Land Destroyers equalized in the last turn of the first half, though my AG5 ghoul nearly managed to pass which would have taken the score the other way, but failed to pick the ball up. Pete's chaos team have been driving forward for half the second half now, but haven't managed to score yet.

I managed to prevent Chris' (MrinProphet) orcs from equalizing in the first half against my high elves, so I'm 1-0 up still as we begin the second half.

Unless I have extremely lucky dice rolls for the rest of the matches, neither of my teams is going to qualify for the scramble final.

Cheers,
Martyn

Reason: ''
Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Well in the Scramble, to win you need to score as many SPPs as possible. If you stall and grind then you will never get enough points. The only exception to this might be that both teams stand toe to toe and slug it out with Mighty Blow, Piling On etc - but that could be very damaging for one or other (or both!) of the teams.

In my Scramble game, all my rerolls have gone very early in both halves - basically I have attempted and rerolled things I might not otherwise have done (eg a back field pass). The hope is that you get lucky dice or pick up a reroll on the Kick Off table. I have also been a bit kind on my opponent by choosing to knock players down with block rather than pushing them off the pitch - I'm trying to get SPPs from blocking of course! (of course you could argue that with less players on the field there would be more gaps to score... its a tough call).

Oh and we are not trying to let each other score - far from it. Certainly I am taking many more chances than I otherwise would (blocking without a reroll when I can walk in and score) etc. So far its going OK... trouble is at the last Kick Off its started pouring with rain... not good when you want to pick up, pass catch and score! So far I have 15 SPPs (3 TDs, 2 cas and 2 comps) - I have 5 turns left, Russ 6. I don't think this is enough and I will need to get at least one more TD and 3 or 4 more SPPs from cas' or completions to stand a (slim) chance. I enjoy playing the odd game this way - its a bit like an end of season friendly!

Come on roll those 6s.... and stop raining!

Dave

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

And actually a big friendly is what the Scramble is meant to be.

By focusing on the SPPs, you have to play a little differently ... I pass a lot and normally really go for the 2 turn score if at all possible.

Basically the scramble is a way for Div A to play Div B and burn time while the playoffs run.

Galak

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

That's exactly how i played my game against DW, so i gambled with my Rat Ogre and went for early TD's, unfortunately i was victim to Blitzed Kick Off and a few crummy rolls. At least DW profited.

On a bum note i also got two killed

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

OK, current scores in my matches are as follows:

Pete Baxter's Waste Land Destroyers took all eight of their turns to score against my undead, so the score is 2-1 and I've got no chance whatsoever of equalizing. It would have been much easier to try to stop him if he hadn't pushed lots of players of the pitch using the Push skill.

I'll be very glad when you get rid of that skill, Galak!! :wink:

In the other match, MrinProphet made the mistake of trying to dodge his thrower away from my lion warrior with Shadowing. Unsurprisingly, he couldn't shake off the marker and fell over and dropped the ball. I then managed to score. So the score there is 2-0 with about half the second half to go... oh yes, and now it's raining.

Cheers,
Martyn

mrinprophet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mrinprophet »

Martyn is playing a great game. I tried to slow it down and slug it out in the first half, to no avail. I did kill a lion warrior, which I feel bit bad for, but haven't had much success since. He has a well-rounded team and plays great D. (note to self...need more tackle). In the second half, I have tried to open it up. As Martyn indicated, I pulled a boneheaded move and forgot about his shadowing lion warrior. Real pest. Anyway, I tried more razzle dazzle and have a chance to score, but I will probably need some help from Nuffle as one of his lineelfs can blitz me with a GFI. Come on snake eyes. :D

Can't say enough good things about the MBBL2.

mrinprophet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mrinprophet »

Ouch! Da Squig Humpaz got pummelled 3-0 by Martyn's high elves. My congrats Martyn on a well-played game.