MBBL2 Season 2 Playoffs / Scramble

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Oh well, these things happen I guess....
Roll on next season...I'm getting close to a pretty competitive roster without the 'Thister being present....

Reason: ''

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Sticking with just the Thrister for next season or might a Letter also appear???

Galak

And Woody .. if you lose (which I'm still hoping you can pull it out).
Remember to take your extra cash based on our note AND then add in the discount for the new Thrister price (also please change the Thristers stats at the end of the match would be nice to help me out).

Between the gate, the extra cash from the note, and the Thrister rebate, you should have some decent shopping to do.

Galak

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

I was planning to just build a decent Chaos roster, 'Thirster aside. The thinking was that he'll be fun while he's around, but I don't really want to be over reliant on Deamons of any type. May just chuck in a 'letter for fun though. I don't want to run the risk of losing the CW spellcaster and a load of players at once. Eggs and baskets and all that.

I'll update the Thirster stats...maybe add a 'letter..see how the roster's looking first.

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

OK the Dorks game v the Falks is at half time. Its 0-0... but.......

I (Dorks) have 5 Handicap rolls so pick "That Boy's Got Talent" and have a second Storm Giant for the game (secret weapon at 7+). My other rolls are:-

Assassin - BH his Star Player with 77 SPPs - successfully apoth'd.

Smelling Salts - KO's on 2+

Stiletto - Snow Troll (Block, Dodge, MB, Pro) gets RSC

Biased Ref - get +2 to Argue the Call rolls

The Falks win the toss and Kick Off - kick is deepish but aim is out and its a touchback - ball given to Blodge catcher. The fans riot for 6 turns.... not great when you don't have any speed and, have 2 Secret Weapons who are sent off on a 7+ and are receiving.

My turn 7 - Troll rolls pushes - Pro results in more pushes. Storm Giant rolls pushes. Storm Giant fails Bonehead. Norse Blitzer blitzes and double skulls. Rerolled to push. Frenzy comes up with a POW and POW Dodge. Pile On and he is KO'd. I advance players down both sides of the pitch - can't go close to the sides due to Double Blitz and Push. Blodge ball carrier - moves upfield and I decide to get maximum advance (2 turns and move 6 is not a great combination to score!) so dodge - I mean he won't fail a 1 in 9 right? wrong - ball spilled.

Falks turn 7. A 2 dice push, Dorrin (the 77 SPPs star player) blitzes one of my advanced players - Piles on and SI's him. A 2 dice both down (both with block) is Pro rolled to pushes. The blodge Troll is one dice Pow'ed. My other advanced runner is covered and a Guard lineman powed. The Shallya Priest ally gets the ball and stands next to the Troll.

Dorks turn 8. OK I stil have a chance to score - Troll to blitz - hopefully knock the ball out - may need Pro. Covered player to dodge and go to end zone and Blitzer to pick up the ball and short pass for the end zone. Ok unlikely but not too bad.....(if I hadn't failed the dodge at end turn 7 it would be roughly 50:50 to score).... Troll blitzes and fails Really Stupid roll (2+) - Pro fails too... so can't get the ball! Storm Giant rolls pushes, I get 2 assists around Dorrin and foul - his Magic Helmet saves him as I roll 10 on the av roll (... need 11) - well if he Piles On he will get kicked! I roll a 1 dice skull rerolled to a push.

Falks turn 8. Dorrin stands up and KOs my Piling On blitzer. A Huscarl is one die Powed. A Storm Giant is one die Powed with a reroll after rolling a skull. The other Storm Giant is 2 dice Powed. The Huscarl who was one die powed is fouled (with 1 assist) and is BH'd.

OK Half Time. Both Storm Giants are sent off. My KO'd blitzer (needing a 2+) doesn't make it back. His KO fails but the level 3 apoth (needing a 6) succeeds. Grrr! At this point I have 10 players and am looking in BIG trouble. Then the dice work. I argue the Sending off calls - and both Storm Giants are allowed on by the ref (4+). So at least I have some muscle on the field.

Hopefully my last 2 rolls are the sign that the dice are turning!

Dave

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

We've had a few posts about playoff matches, but its time for some scramble matches.

I can't really see either of my teams going through - I think I play too conservatively.

The Tomb Raiders are 1-0 up in what should be an interesting game against the Waste Land Destroyers. Only 4 spps on the board so far... a completion and the touchdown for the Raiders.

Arvandoria Athletic are also 1-0 up against MrinProphet's Da Squig Humpaz, but things aren't looking good for the rest of the match. In addition to the elves' 4 spps, the orcs have inflicted a casualty - killing one of my Lion Warriors. Of course, I rolled a 1 on the apothecary roll... again! I think this is 3 apothecary rolls in a row that I've rolled a 1 with one of my elf teams. Equally, the high elves' previous death was in the scramble... I'm not sure I'll let them play in it next season!

Are you sure there isn't bug in the apothecary dice roller? A line something like:

if team=='elf' and coach=='Martyn'
then:
apothecary_roll := 1

Cheers,
Martyn

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Martyn ... you just need to save up for that Level 5 Apoth ... that would help.

Galak

martynq
Super Star
Super Star

Post by martynq »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Martyn ... you just need to save up for that Level 5 Apoth ... that would help.
Yeah, I know. The trouble is I keep spending money on replacing players who have died or failed their aging rolls.

Cheers,
Martyn

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

My overaggressive use of my RO, coupled with a spate of failed 2+ catch rolls, and a blitz KO result have handed DW the relatively simple task of overwhelming my Skaven team with his. Already 1-0 down having received the kick, apothecary already used, 3 players missing the game, and the ball is acting like a greased pig.

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

An update on the Falks v Dorks!

Dorks kicked short.... unfortunately to the side where the Falks were massing their troops. Things didn't look good when the Troll was KO'd and one of the Storm Giants was imprisoned by the spell Soul in Chains.

The Falks advance slowly and KO'd another Norse and left only one Norse standing. Norse stand up and try and defend but are over powered - except for Dorrin who dodges away from the Storm Giant.... chicken! A quick pass is caught by the Shallya ally who scores. 1-0 to Falks.

Both Storm Giants are sent off. The imprisoned one will miss the rest of the game as the ref won't allow him back on if it goes to O/T - however good arguing by the Coach allows Galak - the boy with talent back on. All KO'd players (2+) on the Dorks make it back.

Kick off time... and the Falks get Perfect D. This changes the set up so that 9 Falks players are on the front line.. with Guard on most of the big boys that means 1 die blocks ar best most of the way. The Storm Giant is lightly guarded in a wing and a blitzer opens up a route by blitzing the cover away - Piling On KO's the lino. The Storm Giant tries to advance down field but for about the third or fourth time in the match stands still and doesn't understand the instructions. The ball is retrieved from the back field and passed to a Huscarl.

The Falks bash and try and take out the Troll who is stunned by the Piling On Dorrin. However, this has left the Falks with no deep safety. The Storm Gian wakes up and lends an assist to the Blitzer who Jumps Up and frenzies the lino into the crowd. He turns and runs upfield. The ball is handed off (rerolled) and then short passed to the down field blitzer... YO!

A Wandering Knight's marker is stunned and the Wandering Knight blitzes the ball carrier. Needing to GFI - he gets block, Pro fails so he Double Blitzes and the second GFI fails. A reroll is burnt but the blitzer is knocked prone.

The Storm Giant is yelled at to move upfield to assist the blizer but fails to hear the call... again. This leaves the blitzer needing to knock the 4 ST Wandering Knight down on his own, pick up the ball and score with no rerolls..... Dauntless works and the 1 die block comes up POW.. the ball is scooped up and its 1-1!

The Storm Giant is sent off yet again.... but the Coach argues once more and the ref allow him back!

The Falks have 3 turns to score and set 9 players up on the line. The ball is kicked deep and wide - however the Flaks jump the gun with a Quick Snap. 2 Dorks are knocked prone a third stunned. The Troll is standing... for a change and the Storm Giant lonely. The ball is held by the Captain deep and wide in his own half.

The Troll fights back and knocks Dorrin on his bum. 3 Norse including the Giant burst through the defences to threaten the Captain all on his own in the back field. They can't reach him but...... if there was a negative trait associated with hot curries... he just got it!

Falks knock down stun a couple of players and attempt a long pass over the heads of potential interceptors - it is inaccurate but isn't intercepted.

The Dorks play a card - Option play - allows 2 blitzes. Troll tries to free up the Guard lino to move over to the ball but double skulls... Pro gets him out of the jam and he pushes back his opponent. The Shallya is blitzed but pushed back clearing the Guard away from the ball. The deepest defender is also blitzed and knocked prone. The passing lane is blocked clear. A blitzer dodges to pick up the ball and succeeds in making an accurate short pass. Surely the catcher will catch it.... nope butter fingers and he drops it. But the Falks don't have many players nearby.....it may just need a pick up roll (where is that reroll when you need it!) in the last turn of the game for the Dorks to get a famous win.........

Dave

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Damn...

The Falks blocked an opening for a one die gfid blitz to move the catcher away from the ball, dodged and long bomber inaccurately downfield. Oh well..... its O/T and the Falks won the toss....but the Storm Giant wasn't sent off!

Dave

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

My Slann (Frogs) against my opponent's High Elf team.

End of first half Slann had a 89% chance to get the go ahead TD and blew it.

Now we are receiving 2nd Half.... and its a touchback ... I start thinking about the rules. I've set up strong in a widezone with only one lineman downfield and realize three things:

1) The lineman is set up so that a push would place the front of the cage 1 GFI from scoring.

2) Handoffs don't require the AG of the ball handler

3) ST 7 against ST 3 is a three dice hit.

So what the heck I had the ball to the Kroxigor ... move my MA 7 and MA 8 blitzers up to the lone lineman and the Kroxigor doesn't go dumb and proceeds to motor up the pitch and 3 dice nail the Elf into Badly Hurt.

Form loose cage around the Krox ... got three options next turn. Handoff to MA 7 or 8 Blitzer for the score ... or just let the Krox try to keep motoring.

I love touchbacks!

Galak

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

McDeth's appalling run of luck in our all Skaven game is continuing...I feel the pain....
However, he should be pulling it back to 3-1 as I type, but there's only a coupla turns left...too little too late. A sorry tail (*ahem*) of skulls and 1's and a crowd inflicted fatality.

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Scratch that 3-1,

First Rat Ogre rolls double skulls on a blitz which just required a push back for me to have a free run throught to the end zone.

Next turn having recovered the ball and managed to get it to a Gutter Runner, managewd to fail a gfi which and re-roll also went down, leaving the GR open to a RO blitz.

If i was physically rolling those dice, at this point i would be handling them like an unexploded bomb.

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

McDeth wrote:Scratch that 3-1,

First Rat Ogre rolls double skulls on a blitz which just required a push back for me to have a free run throught to the end zone.

Next turn having recovered the ball and managed to get it to a Gutter Runner, managewd to fail a gfi which and re-roll also went down, leaving the GR open to a RO blitz.
Didn't you get that last file mate? All the RO could do was pushbacks, one dodge, (maybe a gfi?) and you're in.

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Sorry DW, went to bed at 12:30, i was too depressed to carry on, i'll check it at about 6 tonight when i get back from work.