Advice on the best BB utility/version for online play.

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

vorner23
Veteran
Veteran

Advice on the best BB utility/version for online play.

Post by vorner23 »

I have a question which might be likely to start a heated debate....

Which is the best version of online BB game interface to use? I have had a look at a few of them. I don't like downloading exes from the net, so instead of trying them all I'd like someone to post the pros and cons of each. Or a little advice at least.

Obviously I'll download the files then!

What versions allow what features and more importantly which ones don't allow certain things?

In my limited knowledge of on online play I imagine certain things like 'throw team mate' or 'sidestep' etc may be hard to implement. Unless the pieces are moved independently of the rolls.... i dunno. But I'm sure some of you lot do!

Plus whats a good league to play in? I'm looking for a league that has not only regular games but has a rich community and background. Ideally a league with game reports and stories, humour etc.

So at least a game a fortnight, team progression and some good reports to make the tornament fun.

Oh and of course I've got to be able to join in now..ish. If I've got to wait 8 months for the start of the next season thats no good!

Cheers in advance guys.

Reason: ''
vorner23
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vorner23 »

Btw I'm not interested in playing by email surely that must take years!

Anyway, even if it doesn't over the net there and then is what I'm after. So you can chat the person at the same time.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Then your best choice is SkiJunkie's Java client and the FUMBBL league.

Galak

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

vorner23 wrote:Btw I'm not interested in playing by email surely that must take years!
3 to 4 weeks per a game max .... just FYI. I usually have mine done in a 1 1/2 to 2 weeks.

Galak

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Done a half in an evening via Pbem on a couple of occasions, cross Atlantic as well.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Zy-Nox
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Zy-Nox »

Like Galak said........
if its quick play you want, then get javabowl and join the fumbbl.
We can get games done in 1hr 1/2 max

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]Hall Of Famer[/url]
Novice Heretic
Wielder of the Trout of Nuffle Slapping
"I hope this makes sense,most things make sense in my head, but not to other people"
Methusalah
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Methusalah »

Whoa, what a revelation. I'd never even considered this as an option. My problem is I work 3 nights a week, and couldn't download anything to my work comp. I could put in plenty of time other nights, would folk get narked if I was unavailable a few nights a week? Does the PBeM have any advantages over the Javabowl? Time to have a hunt around I think...

You're only as old as you feel
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Methusalah wrote:Whoa, what a revelation. I'd never even considered this as an option. My problem is I work 3 nights a week, and couldn't download anything to my work comp. I could put in plenty of time other nights, would folk get narked if I was unavailable a few nights a week? Does the PBeM have any advantages over the Javabowl? Time to have a hunt around I think...
Methusalah,

Here are major differences:

Javabowl is better if you have at any point in time 2 1/2 to 3 hours to sit down online and play the game.

PBeM mail is better if you never have this large of a block of time as a normal turn takes 4 to 10 minutes. Virtually every PBeM league out there right now simply requests that you take 10 minutes to take at least one turn each weekday (ie Monday through Friday) at ANY point during the day.

Currently there is one Javabowl league that I'm aware of: FUMBBL

For PBeM the following leagues are running currently: PBeMBBL, RABBL, MBBL, MBBL2, WBBL, and SBBLL. Soon the REBBL will be up and running as well.

Galak

Methusalah
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Methusalah »

Just finished reading some other threads Galak. Sounds like PBeM is the go for me, I have 4 kids, beat you by 2 I think :P 10 minutes a day manageable. I manage about one game a week against my eldest, but we have to wait until the 2 y.o. goes to bed unless you want half your team redistributed around the house's various nooks and crannies. I'll have to look into it some more tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

You're only as old as you feel