Benefits of the PC-game for a board-player...

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Angeblich
Experienced
Experienced

Benefits of the PC-game for a board-player...

Post by Angeblich »

1. Learn all the skills and rules we played falsely(?) in our league (Our board-league is about one year old and totally made up of friends. So basically the races are kinda one-player-only. And thus noone knows all the skills and special rules and we don't argue that much over them...) - "What? Why did I lose my Reroll for a failed Loner-roll?" - "What? Tackle also negates Dodge when dodging?" - "..."

2. Learn to play faster - played the 40sec-thing yesterday and absolutely had a blast! - also, even the 4min-limit is breathtakkingly fast for some players of our league...

3. Play more risky, because you are not that attached to the teams (a benefit as in: something different and refreshing)

4. Of course play many more people than the few of your local club!

5. Learn to love races you never touched before - The cool Skaven-animations made me make a team of them! (Also am thinking about Goblins and Lizardmen for the first time!)

6. Seeing the cool models made me wanting to finish my WIP-teams to have the same effect on the board-game.

So, aqnyone in for a second thread of the downsides for a board-game-player?

Reason: ''
Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Warpstone »

Well, I think if you play against the AI long enough, it may dumb down your tactical skills :)

Spike! Magazine Major Tournament - September @ Vancouver, BC, Canada

Thunderbowl Sports Network - Head Coach of the Leaps of Faith.
Angeblich
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Angeblich »

Warpstone wrote:Well, I think if you play against the AI long enough, it may dumb down your tactical skills :)
It could also make you crave for the real stuff...

Only benefit I see in single-player is the possibility to pause the game...

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Angeblich wrote:
Warpstone wrote:Well, I think if you play against the AI long enough, it may dumb down your tactical skills :)
It could also make you crave for the real stuff...
Some of my opponents claim i make them dumb down, makes it more even they say..... :lol:

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

I agree that is a possibility, however it is useful to remind people of basic tactics.

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Funksultan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Funksultan »

True, but if you play against the AI on hard, it's really not THAT awful. Also, you can create more interesting situations by not exploiting what you KNOW are the AIs deficiencies.

i.e. I know if I just hold the line, the CPU will uncage his ball carrier in one or two turns. Instead of doing that, I force myself to press the attack and then try to counter his offensive play.

Any way you slice it, handing over 600k in inducements in blitz mode can make life a little rough. Grrrr, AG 5 blodging goblins? Are ya kiddin me? (Yes, goblinS. He had two of em in a single game)

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

The AI on hard IS awful. I hate playing it more than a game or two in a row because it just too easy to beat. I've only played it with goblins. 40 games played so far and I've lost once, a group game to skaven, and had one game go to overtime.

I don't think I could be that consistent against even inexperienced coaches.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Playing against the AI has allowed me to play a lot of games at a pace I choose and develop a team to a level I'd never otherwise manage. That I like. I do get annoyed at the AI and the very odd skill picks though.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

I agree, it is a useful exercise in Team Growth management. The AI on Medium seems to be less "daft" and thus can be more of a challenge on occasion. it is a poor substitute for RL competition but then again so were some I have seen in RL....

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I've also learned that I like playing Chaos (in the process of obtaining a team...playing said team might be part of the reason I'm not finding the "Hard" level to be a complete cakewalk? I've been losing Chaos Warriors fairly regularly :( ) and don't much like playing Skaven.

It's pretty cool seeing players actually gain their mutations as well. The board game will probably never be able to match that without a ridiculous amount of work.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Warpstone »

One of the coaches in our tabletop league explained to me that the problem with Hard difficulty is that AI is set to literally take no chances--no GFI's or risking INT attempts, etc.. There's apparently some XML file that can be set to introduce a small amount of risk-tolerance into the game so that sides like Woodies can play a bit more dangerously.

Spike! Magazine Major Tournament - September @ Vancouver, BC, Canada

Thunderbowl Sports Network - Head Coach of the Leaps of Faith.
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Using the PC-game on "medium" is actually more interesting. It cages on "hard", always, in spite of everything. "Medium" actually moves more, and builds cages a tad more loose.

Basically, like Warpstone said, the AI takes more risks wich gives more interesting games...