Blood Bowl Legendary Edition

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

driesfield
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Blood Bowl Legendary Edition

Post by driesfield »

Anyone playing the Legendary Edition yet?
Teams are great, you can also start as an assistant coach and there are some new stadiums.
Can't wait for the servers to go back online.
D

Reason: ''
Scourge of Lizardmen! and Sjapie!
I'll never be your Beast of Nurgle.
juergen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Blood Bowl Legendary Edition

Post by juergen »

i installed it yesterday.

Multiplayer Lobby looks cleaned up, you have more options and couple of statistics (serverstats like, overall games played > 1mill, coaches,...). My teams have not transfered. Since i was tired i didn't want to start a game but wanted to know what this story mode was. First i got an article about BB history and played the second half of dwarf vs. orc (target: finish the game), then something like a newspaper article appeared (didn't read it cause I only wanted a quick overview) then I found in the middle of goblin vs human where the target was: throw two goblins. this was actually pretty funny - didn't have to play a whole game, had to do something specific.

Gamewise the technical requirements stayed the same (first i thought everything was much slower, just to find out I was running on battery on my laptop :lol: ). Apothecary now is very very clear - well done (you see the player stats just like you select him and you have basically radio buttons to select the orginal roll or the apo roll. Somewhere it was mentioned you see your opponents blocking dice - but at least against the AI I only saw it in the chat window - just like in the old version. Don't know about Multiplayout, though. AI seemed to do the same cages, but it appeared to me it learned (i.e. the ogre's first move was not a dodge to build a cage - which happened in my very first game against the old AI)

Overall: this version should have been the version released a year ago - it rocks

Juergen

Creator of Elfball.org - the Elfball website officialy approved by Impact Miniatures
WildAnimal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by WildAnimal »

Hoping for more people to tell me that the AI has improved!

-Brian Bergh
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

just paid my money, very smooth

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
WildAnimal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by WildAnimal »

please report back if the AI is stille the same as the old game, or they have improved it.

-Brian Bergh
WildAnimal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by WildAnimal »

I took the chance and paid money for it.

But it says that i have to wait for the 27. to download and 28. to play.

how did you guys get it and play it already?

-Brian Bergh
Insane_Prophet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Insane_Prophet »

WildAnimal wrote:I took the chance and paid money for it.

But it says that i have to wait for the 27. to download and 28. to play.

how did you guys get it and play it already?
Those who pre-ordered it before (this) Wednesday 4pm got it early.

The AI does seem better, but on that front the biggest change to my mind is that I'm no longer seeing stupid skill choices - no Pass Block Trolls or Multiple Block Goblins yet!

It's definitely an improvement on the previous game - both in terms of the rule set, the A.I, and the general interface, which is a little smoother. I'm sure there are plenty of flaws and bugs to be found (the current sub bug is highly frustrating), but my feeling is that if you got some pleasure out of the first game there's no reason that Legendary Edition shouldn't be a solid improvement for you.

Does it beat face-to-face tabletop play? No, but I don't think anyone expects it to.

WildAnimal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by WildAnimal »

I feel like they cheated me....want to play NOW

-Brian Bergh
howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by howlinggriffon »

I started a new campaign with Amazons - and the first game was against a 1.3k Undead team which was a bit of a shock. 300K of inducements to spend against Undead = Zara the Slayer in my books! AI doesn't seem to bad on the Hard setting. All the skills they had seemed decent enough too.

I can see me playing this quite a lot whilst waiting for the regular club night to come around.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

howlinggriffon wrote:AI doesn't seem to bad on the Hard setting.
Consensus on the AI still seems to be that Medium is the setting to choose.

Easy takes to many silly risks (such as Dodging AG1 players from the LOS to replace with a Skink to give the assist).
Hard doesn't take any risks, and throws the ball as often as Gazza wins a BB match ( :wink: ).

Medium takes more risks than Hard, but not as many as Easy.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Insane_Prophet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Insane_Prophet »

I think Medium is probably the setting to play on. The A.I can't really hope to play as well as a human, and is a little too "clinical" or predictable on Hard. On Medium it can at least surprise you.

Honestly I'd be surprised if the A.I was particularly challenging short of cheating, but at least it plays better, higher T.V teams this time round.

TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Post by TuernRedvenom »

Caved in yesterday and bought it.
Can't download it before next week but that's ok. What are people's nicks there?

Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire
Krampus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Krampus »

Hey there,

Yes, the AI has improved. However, it still doesn't provide a challenge for a decent BB coach. Story mode might be fun for a few hours but I won't buy this game for its single player mode.

If you want to play multi player, the improvements are great though. Most BB1 skill bugs are gone, skill usage is finally optional, the GUI is cleaner, and the server has improved as well.

As someone who got back into Blood Bowl with BB1 after almost two decades of abstinence, this is exactly what I was hoping for one year ago.

Cheers,

Krampus

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

I'm still doubting if I should pick this up now, or wait a few months (??) and buy it cheaper in a bargain-bin...
I've played the old game a LOT, and still find it okay. Just set some goals on your own: clear the field, kill target players, skill up a certain player, etc.

But threads like these make me very curious about the new game. Anyone aware about different (= heavier) specs for the legendary edition ?

howlinggriffon

Post by howlinggriffon »

It's running perfectly on the same machine I was using for the old game - so if you had that, it can probably cope okay.

I'm enjoying having access to the new teams. I've never tried using a Khemri or Vampire team as I've not bought the teams - so getting some practice with them is cool.