Blood Bowl Legendary Edition

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Blood Bowl Legendary Edition

Post by Darkson »

There's part of your problems. I've no idea why, but BBLE doesn't get along with anything other than the new AVG (2011).

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by VoodooMike »

voyagers_uk wrote:I would not trust the batch files that float out there, I am not that programmer savvy
BAT files are nothing but a list of console commands that you could type in yourself, manually, if you didn't trust them to run automagically from the file. You can open them in notepad and take a look at which commands it will be giving, and even without any programming knowledge you can easily see what is going on. They're nothing to worry about.

I find it funny that you're willing to trust cyanide sight-unseen when their program does far more underhanded things on your computer than anything anyone from the community has made. Indeed, if a 3rd party developer made something that did even one of the three or four less-than-kosher things bb_le.exe does, people would break out the torches and pitchforks. It's the wonder of the blind consumer mentality folks have, I guess.
darkson wrote:There's part of your problems. I've no idea why, but BBLE doesn't get along with anything other than the new AVG (2011).
AVG has some residual heuristics that try to prevent virus-like behavior in programs. The fact of the matter is, that type of virus is as extinct as small pox - the things we originally called "computer viruses" dies out in the mid 90s. Some of securom's newer features sound sirens on those heuristics, and cyanide is too lazy to code in error checking and reporting, so when something goes awry (like the call to DFA.DLL to decrypt a model during match load) the program just dies a horrible death without decent user feedback.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

upgrading to 2011 now...

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

no, same problem...

The match starts to load and then it tells me that a display driver stopped responding and has restarted, that happens a few times and then it all goes black and the pc dies....

and this only since 2.0.0.6

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

I can start a new campaign.

however the old campaign Norse versus Elves at the Orc stadium doesn't work still...

TalonBay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by TalonBay »

Anyone else find the AI truly awful? Can't make up my mind which level is the best to play at, hard plays far to conservative with the ball (consistently running backwards in turn 7 to guarantee it can't score before the half with little pressure!) but still tries the daft dodges (chaos warriors that avoid smacking the guy in front of them to blitz an equally pointless player). Medium is slightly less conservative but slightly more prone to daft decisions. I'm consistently out cas'ing teams like dwarfs and orcs with my dark elves.

Have they improved anything for the legendary edition over the DE edition?

I know the best way to play is vs a human opponent but this isn't practical in the 45mins of my lunch hour!

The Daventry League: Pitchblack Stealers http://www.level10.org/BloodBowl/index.php?section=main
Proud Owner of the TFF Minisorca Vikings Legacy 2011 viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36011
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

TalonBay wrote:Have they improved anything for the legendary edition over the DE edition?
Yes, but the AI still isn't much cop.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic

Post by voyagers_uk »

is patch 2.0.0.7 due anytime soon?

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

There is one coming, apparently. No idea when though.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

I have some questions if anyone would be kind enough to answer :)
Right, I am getting BBLE for christmas and don't currently own a pc or laptop (sad I know) so I have to use my parents laptop to play for the time being.

1. Do I need to register online?

2.If I do have to register can I use the game on another pc if I get one myself?

3.some websites won't let me use internet top up donglles because 'they arnt secure' will BBLE be ok to play online with a dongle?

4.does the data usage rate of BBLE online make using a dongle imposible (it cost like £15 for 3GB)

Some of these questions may seem silly to you but I have been a console gamer for my entire life, the last game I instaled on a pc was rollercoaster tycoon. So I'm not exactly knowledgable in the field.

VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by VoodooMike »

arthurinkpen wrote:1. Do I need to register online?
Yes.
arthurinkpen wrote:2.If I do have to register can I use the game on another pc if I get one myself?
SecuROM lets you have it on 5 machines at the same time. You can revoke the rights to one of the five to allow you to put it on another, and so on. So yes.
arthurinkpen wrote:3.some websites won't let me use internet top up donglles because 'they arnt secure' will BBLE be ok to play online with a dongle?
Hard to say - it depends on how the internet system works. Given that multiplayer is all p2p, it requires that you have you own outside IP address, or that you can route the UDP data to the appropriate port. Some of the less mainstream ISP types that offer cheaper rates will only give you a LAN address, routing their customers through a limited set of IP addresses, which works fine for outgoing connections but makes p2p stuff very tough, if possible at all.

You need to ask your ISP about it.
arthurinkpen wrote:4.does the data usage rate of BBLE online make using a dongle imposible (it cost like £15 for 3GB)
BBLE sends more data than it needs to (data is constantly going back and forth between players even if the players are doing nothing at all) but I don't think that it sends so much as to make a 3GB limit an issue. The community really should benchmark that at some point so there's more than a vague answer to this question.

Hope that helps.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Thanks voodoo mike :) that's a great help.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Looking online I can't find any screen shots of star players, are they in the game at all?

Insane_Prophet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Insane_Prophet »

arthurinkpen wrote:Looking online I can't find any screen shots of star players, are they in the game at all?
Yes, though not all of the Star Players in the CRP ruleset.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Can't remember about the others, but there's a pic of both Luthor and Icepelt in the screenshots.