Blood Bowl Legendary Edition

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Glowworm

Re: Blood Bowl Legendary Edition

Post by Glowworm »

Installed it.....

love it......

Ok, its not seeing Darkson being beaten by his own dice every game :wink: however after my 12 hr dayshift its home food & beer then a quick game with my Nurgle team to relax. jobs a good un!!

would i prefer tabletop? of course, however anything that promotes the game and maybe brings in new players (Im sure Ive seen several people post here that they will be playing tourneys after trying the game) has got to be a good thing.

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

glowworm wrote:Ok, its not seeing Darkson being beaten by his own dice every game :wink:
I'll try and find you a replay of my last OCC league game... :roll:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Dragoonkin
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dragoonkin »

I just picked up the Legendary Edition and I can't even play it...for some reason the game "hitches" about every second and I can watch two frames draw, then it stops, then does it again, then stops...even on the menu screens, I can individually watch every single option sliiiiiiide from the left and it takes about thirty seconds.

Anyone have any idea what's up with this?

Anything I say is totally opinion and (knowing my luck) probably completely wrong. Keep this in mind.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

What version?

2.0.0.4 and 2.0.0.5 are all "bugged" with a memory leak (2.0.0.6 patch supposedly due this week), which is causing all sorts of issues, especially on lower RAM machines.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Dragoonkin
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dragoonkin »

2.0.0.0, and 2.0.0.3, and 2.0.0.5.

And I have 4 gigs of RAM, so I'm hardly a "low-RAM" machine. And hell, it's not even enough time for a memory leak to occur...it's on the main-bloody-menu.

Anything I say is totally opinion and (knowing my luck) probably completely wrong. Keep this in mind.
txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by txapo »

yep the game is almost unplayable until they release the next patch wich is expected for tuesday,...

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

went to 2.0.0.5 or whatever the latest patch is and have had no problems so far

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

@ Dragoonkin - what OS are you running, and what anti-virus do you use?

PhilG23
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PhilG23 »

If your running it with AVG, then make sure you upgrade to the free AVG 2011. Mine ran slow as until I upgraded. Try that.

Cheers

PhilG
Dragoonkin
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dragoonkin »

Fixed it, not sure how. But it's working.

And reminds me I need to turn off the commentary...gads it gives me a headache.

VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by VoodooMike »

If I hear one more non-programmer cite "memory leaks" as an issue I think I'll scream. Don't bother doing it deliberately, though - you won't be able to hear me from there, I suspect.

ShriekBob
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ShriekBob »

VoodooMike wrote:If I hear one more non-programmer cite "memory leaks" as an issue I think I'll scream. Don't bother doing it deliberately, though - you won't be able to hear me from there, I suspect.
Sweet jesus this! >_<

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

ShriekBob wrote:
VoodooMike wrote:If I hear one more non-programmer cite "memory leaks" as an issue I think I'll scream. Don't bother doing it deliberately, though - you won't be able to hear me from there, I suspect.
Sweet jesus this! >_<

What the dingus does it mean? Did they just make it up? My partner is a harware engineer (yeah I know not the highest authority) but they had no idea what you were talking about!

VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by VoodooMike »

Your computer's operating system acts as something of a gatekeeper when it comes to your computer's resources and what the software gets to do with them. When a program needs memory to store... anything... it tells the OS that it needs some memory (its more specific than "some" obviously) and the OS earmarks a chunk of memory that big for the program and tells it how to access that memory. This prevents two programs from using the same piece of memory accidentally... in fact, windows throws up walls and guards and guns around the memory.. sort'v.

Anyway, this is all based on the idea that the program will be polite and say "ok, thanks, I'm done with it now" so that the OS can assign that memory elsewhere when it is needed for something else. A memory "leak" is when the software rudely neglects to inform the OS that it is done with the memory and thus that memory is still protected against re-use, but is not BEING used by anybody.

In the past this was a problem that would make your whole session worse over time. If a program had a memory leak the memory would be lost even once you closed the program... being lost until you rebooted. That's not the case anymore - now the leaks are only an issue if you run a leaky program for a long time... long enough for it to slowly leak away all your computer's available memory (which, on modern computers, is a metric f*ck-ton). OSs like Windows will automagically free up pretty much all the leaked memory once the program closes.

BBLE's issue is NOT a memory leak, but on the official forums the pack of non-programmers there have simply decided by consensus that that's what it is. Think of this like being a doctor and listening to a group of highschool girls discussing a friend of theirs having swollen glands and them deciding that it is obviously Lupus.

Pmcc did so many totally shitty things during the 2.0.0.4 patch (which carry over into 2.0.0.5).. the most notably absent of which being a fix for RNG prediction. The half-assed obfuscation stuff is causing really sloppy performance degradation that is totally unneccesary - many people have detailed firm solutions that require no such CPU intensive garbage. Add to that the fact that BBLE now deep-scans your other processes as though it were an antivirus program (only its not protecting you - its attempting to make sure you aren't running any programs that cyanide and focus disapprove of) without asking your permission to do so (unlike punkbuster which does NOT do deep scanning as far as I'm aware, but still informs you it will be monitoring some aspects of your computer).

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

Well now we know, and knowing is half the battle G.I JOE!