Cyanide Dice Hacks

Be it FUMBBL, PBeM, the Cyanide Computer Game, VASSAL or whatever - talk about online play here.

This is also the place for discussing the various tools for managing leagues, teams and so on.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Cyanide Dice Hacks

Post by Darkson »

VoodooMike wrote:Even I can't be sued for that sort of thing, Darkson. You need to start taking what random forum ranters say with a much larger grain of salt - and that goes double for the rantings of a certain community icon's lapdog.
Maybe, maybe not, I'm not a lawyer (thank god!), I'm not talking about a certain "lapdog", and with the problem this site has had in the past, I'm not taking any chances.
It's not as if it's difficult to find anyway.

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by VoodooMike »

Darkson wrote:Maybe, maybe not, I'm not a lawyer (thank god!), I'm not talking about a certain "lapdog", and with the problem this site has had in the past, I'm not taking any chances.
It's not as if it's difficult to find anyway.
That's how lawyers, people who HAVE lawyers, and people who can barely spell lawyers, try to bully you. People are so afraid that they'll trip over a legal landmine that they just fall into line when someone shouts about the law or lawsuits - hell, it's a favourite tactic of lawyers themselves. The fact of the matter is, though, that the laws typically make sense, and they're not enforced in strange and random ways.

Does it make sense to you that having a link to a website on your forum could result in a surprise lawsuit? No? That's because it can't.

The closest thing to that is the USA's DMCA which says that if someone links to another site that itself is violating copyright, and then REFUSES to remove that link when presented with a properly formate DMCA notification letter (which, I might add, opens the sender of the letter to legal problems if they haven't done their homework and aren't 100% legitimate) then the total immunity to liability is forfeit. That said, you can count on zero fingers the number of times anyone has successfully sued someone who refused, too.

You can obviously be as cautious as you want to be, but don't let your life be ruled by fear of the unknown.

Da Shin Kikas
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Da Shin Kikas »

Anyone fancy a pint?

txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by txapo »

well the thing is: voodomike can you tell us how many downloads of your program have been in total?

there are 70.000 registered players of the game, so we can calculate how many cheaters there are arround.

I played three games yesterday and didn't feel any cheating was been used. The only mesasure I've taken is stoping to play 4 minutes matches, so if some one is cheating he looses time to look at the rolls so he gets turnovers for not having time.
Am I wrong to do that?

howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by howlinggriffon »

I think it's very clever to create a program to show what's being generated - but I also think it's going to ruin the fun of the game by making it so easy for people to cheat. Just download and off you go. At least beforehand people had to work at it to cheat. This could make it widespread.

I'm going to pledge not to use it so Nuffle will shine his blessings on me :)

txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by txapo »

Still I can see the point or the fun of playing with such a program. BB is a very good probabilities game, so what's the point of playing it if you can see the result before it's played?
The feeling would not be the same. As well the point of Voodomike to saw it can be done is fine, but I don't think most of us would bother to download it.

As valentigma said in the spanish forum we all could buy loaded dice and go with them to a NAF torunament but no one does,..!!!

dsavillian
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dsavillian »

txapo wrote:Still I can see the point or the fun of playing with such a program. BB is a very good probabilities game, so what's the point of playing it if you can see the result before it's played?
The feeling would not be the same. As well the point of Voodomike to saw it can be done is fine, but I don't think most of us would bother to download it.

As valentigma said in the spanish forum we all could buy loaded dice and go with them to a NAF torunament but no one does,..!!!

Same reason people disconnect/menu spam/cherrypick/etc. To have a perfect record.

I've never understood the appeal of cheating to be seen as the best, but it must appeal to some! The good thing is that a large number of these players are probably below average at best, so we can all rest easy knowing that we are likely better than these players, even though our records might not show it.

Coach of the Fancy Lads
Blood Bowl League of Calgary
http://twitter.com/bloodbowlcgy
@dsavillian on twitter

It's called Blood Bowl, not Fun Bowl
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

txapo wrote:As valentigma said in the spanish forum we all could buy loaded dice and go with them to a NAF torunament but no one does,..!!!
In most USA tournaments ... you are required to use the same dice for both coaches for the match. So doing that would be interesting.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

As has been said on the Cyanide forum, just because Mike made this one public, doesn't mean he's the first to do it - this exploit has been in the game since the day BB1 was released - it's not a new "bug".

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Ullis

Post by Ullis »

txapo wrote:The only mesasure I've taken is stoping to play 4 minutes matches, so if some one is cheating he looses time to look at the rolls so he gets turnovers for not having time.
Actually I think that playing 2 minute turns would be easier with VoodooMike's program. If I understood correctly it shows 7 rolls in advance so you can easily perfectly time your blitz or ball handling with the dice you see. The issue with 2 minute turns for me (when I was playing the first edition) was that I ran out of time on turns where I had to take risks in sequence and plan to minimise the possible impact of them failing. If I'd known I could safely start the turn with a 1-d block, an AG3 dodge or two GFI's, things would've been a lot easier.

Hoping that only novice players cheat is probably wishful thinking, especially when there's cash prizes and public rankings involved.

Lunchab1es
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Lunchab1es »

Da Shin Kikas wrote:Anyone fancy a pint?
Yes.

Looking for: 5th ed Human Thrower #2
Da Shin Kikas
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Da Shin Kikas »

Anyone else?
We can get a round going.

Spiky
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Spiky »

The issue seems to have neatly divided the community over there...

I love this post on the topic of cheating by Jorthax on 26 Jun 2009:
To manipulate server side dice rolls would require control over the server, unless they awesomely stupidly programmed the client to make the roll, which no one would do.

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/v ... 41&start=0

Where is the beer?

Geocaching - The most fun you can have with a smartphone and a pencil
First official recipient of 'The Glowworm Award'
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Spiky wrote:Where is the beer?
Beer? Reading that thread, Jorthax owes captpir8 his savings - maybe the party is on the good Capt?
Jorthax wrote:OP, I have no idea who you are, but I'd be willing to bet my life saving that there is no way to influence the dice, they are server controlled.
Funny, he disappeared after saying that - guess he actually dug a bit deeper for info. :lol:

Haukionkala
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Haukionkala »

Well, at least the publicity generated by this finally forces Cyanide to fix the issue that has been around since the first digital BB they produced. I just hope they would do something about the intentional disconnects that cause games not to get registered (a way to avoid any losses).

I still enjoy the game a lot though, just not in the public leagues. I just play in private leagues with people I can trust (but who are too far away for a tabletop game). It's quite good for that.